Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

3lb x 2 Tent

• 8 Replies

SHANEA

3lb x 2 Tent
« on: July 30, 2008, 10:16:42 PM »
Three pound two man tent!  Talk about shaving weight off the pack...
and less than $300

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=38&p_id=2322297
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:52:41 PM by RichardM »

Offline dkerr24

• Mountain Lion
  • The worst day hiking > the best day in a cubicle.
Re: 3lb x 2 Tent
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 03:05:25 PM »
wow!  That's half the weight of my REI Camp Dome 2 tent.  (about 3 times more expensive, too)  :)

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 03:22:04 PM »
that's a cool tent.  only $20 more expensive, 1lb lighter, and has a bit more floor space than the REI Quarter Dome T2 (which is also a cool tent).
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 03:23:43 PM »
I know what I want for Christmas!!

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 03:50:34 PM »
that's a cool tent.  only $20 more expensive, 1lb lighter, and has a bit more floor space than the REI Quarter Dome T2 (which is also a cool tent).
The key difference being that the Quarter Dome T2 is free-standing. Single pole tents might work ok with soft ground, but I'd hate to have to rely on stakes and rocks to keep a tent upright out in the desert.

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 04:29:58 PM »
The key difference being that the Quarter Dome T2 is free-standing. Single pole tents might work ok with soft ground, but I'd hate to have to rely on stakes and rocks to keep a tent upright out in the desert.

No doubt about that...  Now that I have my Quarter Dome T1, I'll probably never again use my non free-standing solo tent.  It's been demoted to loaner tent status. 

Offline Peach

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 10:08:47 PM »

I think I saw a tent similar to the Quarter Dome T2 at Cabella's?  Either way, both nice tents.

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 10:28:17 AM »
Here are some reviews.

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 10:39:26 AM »
Another advantage of the Quarter Dome T2 is it has two doors and two vestibules. 

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!