Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

550 para-chord survival bracelet

• 10 Replies

Offline Cookie

• Golden Eagle
  • Diamondback
  • "you never slow down, you never grow old" T.P.
550 para-chord survival bracelet
« on: September 13, 2010, 02:20:07 PM »
Last December when we were backpacking up on the South Rim, a really nice guy made my daughter a bracelet out of "a shoelace" (trip report http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/your-trip-reports/12-nights-in-the-bend/). I thought it was just neat and something to do with an old shoelace. My daughter wears it constantly, and we recently figured out it is a 550 para-chord survival bracelet! It is on the list of "15 Essentials" for survival.  Some of you may be familiar with these bracelets, if not, here is what it is all about.

Military grade 550 paracord is a Kernmantle rope known as Mil-C-5040 Type 3. It is made of nylon so that is dries quickly and is mildew resistant. It is 1/8 inch in diameter and is rated for 550 lbs.

It can be used for:

Ridgelines for Tarps
Securing Equipment
Shoelaces
Hanging Food from Bears
Vehicle Tie Downs
Sewing Fabric
Repairing Equipment
Making a Fire Bow
Fishing Line
Paracord String for a Bow
Making a Shelter
Fish Gill Nets
Fishing Line
Animal Snares
Clothes Lines
Paracord Lanyards
Anchor Line
Binding
Twine
Animal Restraints
Tooth Floss
Splints
Tourniquet
Paracord Braiding
Other Paracord Crafts

I found the above info on survivaltopics.com

Finding it locally has been a challenge (not at REI or Academy), but it is widely available on the internet. A friend gave us some and I was able to make 3 bracelets by watching various videos on youtube.

One neat suggestion for bringing a lot is to make a dog collar out of it!
If you happen to be bringing your dog :icon_lol:

The bracelets I made are two pieces (one is knotted over the other). The inner piece is about 15 inches long, the other is about 7-8 ft. long. It is amazingly lightweight, I barely notice I have it on. You can also just weave a long lanyard to hook on your pack if you want a longer length.

The more we have learned about it, the more I appreciate the bracelet!
Also gives you something to do if you are stuck in your tent!!

~Cookie

Offline Burn Ban

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
Re: 550 para-chord survival bracelet
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:40:48 PM »
i like it.  thanks for giving me a new project to jump on.  i think i'll make a necklace.

Offline Quatro

• Diamondback
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:01:22 PM »

It can be used for:

Animal Restraints
Tooth Floss
Splints
Tourniquet
Paracord Braiding
Other Paracord Crafts

The more we have learned about it, the more I appreciate the bracelet!
Also gives you something to do if you are stuck in your tent!!

~Cookie

Big Bend was the one area in which I felt absolutely no guilt about not flossing - until now. Paradise Lost?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST

Offline BigBendAg88

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 03:10:50 AM »
I was reading about that last weekend in the October issue of Backpacker magazine (page 90).  I  had been thinking about making some with my son and his scout troop this month.  One thing interesting about the one in Backpacker is that it was made with 2 colors of paracord (for those interested in fashion options).

I also found this link:
http://www.backpacker.com/skills-survival-bracelet/slideshows/117

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 09:32:46 AM »
A friend gave us some and I was able to make 3 bracelets by watching various videos on youtube.

~Cookie

Why don't you post the videos here?
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline Cookie

• Golden Eagle
  • Diamondback
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 09:47:44 AM »
I was reading about that last weekend in the October issue of Backpacker magazine (page 90).  I  had been thinking about making some with my son and his scout troop this month.
I also found this link:
http://www.backpacker.com/skills-survival-bracelet/slideshows/117

That would be a great project for the scouts! They are really easy once you get the pattern down. Another intersting pattern to make if you have two colors is called a "river bar".http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYcZYP3Z3ck

One thing interesting about the one in Backpacker is that it was made with 2 colors of paracord (for those interested in fashion options).
I am all about the fashion options-I just need to get my hands on some purple parachord :eusa_dance:

Big Bend was the one area in which I felt absolutely no guilt about not flossing - until now. Paradise Lost?

:eusa_doh: sorry! If it makes you feel any better, I would only floss if I was in "survival mode" so I would be presentable when the SAR team shows up!

~Cookie

Offline Cookie

• Golden Eagle
  • Diamondback
Re: 550 para-cord survival bracelet
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 12:22:39 PM »
A friend gave us some and I was able to make 3 bracelets by watching various videos on youtube.

~Cookie

Why don't you post the videos here?

Homero, I don't know how to get the actual video to post but here are the links I used:

Maybe Richard can help me out :eusa_pray:

If you search "How to make 550 Paracord bracelets" on youtube.com you get over 300 videos. Once you get the basic idea, they are really easy to make!

~Cookie

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:31:20 PM by RichardM »

Offline MilesOfTexas

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • MilesOfTexas Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 02:15:47 PM »
Wow, I learned how to make those when I was in the cub scouts back in the 70's, but I didn't know what they were for other than they looked cool.  I still remember how to make them and remember having fun using multiple pairs when making them.
"I have an excellent profession, but I don't enjoy it near as much as I do when I am in the heart of the wilderness, surrounded by marvelous creations, and efforting to capture what I see and feel so I may share it with others."

-Me 09/12/2011

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 08:41:37 PM »
Tooth Floss??? Someone has wide spaces between their teeth. Cool item if I remember it has about 10' of cord in them.
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

Offline eddie

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 12:52:26 PM »
After doing all that work, it would have to be a real emergency before I would consider taking it apart to use the cord.  :icon_smile:

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 01:41:19 PM »
And hence the words: EMERGENCY & SURVIVAL  is well applied.

Galletita, i for one appreciate this weblink and videos:

I found the above info on survivaltopics.com
~Cookie

There is alot to learn from this webpage.
Stay thirsty, my friends.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!