Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Backpacking Food

• 43 Replies

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: Backpacking Food
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2016, 11:26:06 AM »
Not really about packing food for backpacking, but something really funny happened to SABill and I on one backpack trip way back...

We were camped along the Animas River north of Durango, CO on our way up to Chicago Basin in the Weminuche Wilderness.  We had pre-packed a breakfast consisting of Bisquick pancake mix and powdered milk.  Add water and we'd have pancake batter.

But we also had to use the water purification tabs since the Animas water isn't safe to drink w/o them (the creeks above it were, but not the Animas itself).   So, after we waited the appropriate time for the tabs to do their thing, we poured the water into our pancake mix, and to our horror, the batter turned purple!!   :icon_eek:

We thought we were going hungry that morning, but after stirring for about 20 seconds, the batter finally turned to it's normal cream color and all was well.  Talk about relief!  Evidently some initial chemical reaction between the mix and the purified water...

The pancakes tasted especially good on the trial that morning!   :D

If you were using Sodium Chlorite tablets (they produced Chlorine dioxide), they react with the Sodium Bicarbonate in baking powder and the result is a purple color change.
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2016, 11:41:24 AM »
Not really about packing food for backpacking, but something really funny happened to SABill and I on one backpack trip way back...

We were camped along the Animas River north of Durango, CO on our way up to Chicago Basin in the Weminuche Wilderness.  We had pre-packed a breakfast consisting of Bisquick pancake mix and powdered milk.  Add water and we'd have pancake batter.

But we also had to use the water purification tabs since the Animas water isn't safe to drink w/o them (the creeks above it were, but not the Animas itself).   So, after we waited the appropriate time for the tabs to do their thing, we poured the water into our pancake mix, and to our horror, the batter turned purple!!   :icon_eek:

We thought we were going hungry that morning, but after stirring for about 20 seconds, the batter finally turned to it's normal cream color and all was well.  Talk about relief!  Evidently some initial chemical reaction between the mix and the purified water...

The pancakes tasted especially good on the trial that morning!   :D

If you were using Sodium Chlorite tablets (they produced Chlorine dioxide), they react with the Sodium Bicarbonate in baking powder and the result is a purple color change.

All this and chemistry too! :icon_biggrin:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:39:05 PM by dprather »
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 12:28:30 PM »

30-something year old mystery solved!!!    :icon_lol:
You don't travel to see different things,
You travel to see things differently.

Offline venchka

• Coyote
    • My LUG Gallery
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2016, 03:39:59 PM »
Andrew Skurka's Beans & Rice recipe.
This is not the New Orleans red beans & rice that I know and love.
I have made a couple practice runs at the house. Pretty good and I will work them into the food bag.
http://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpacking-dinner-recipe-beans-rice-with-fritos-cheese/
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wayne
“Leave me alone. I know what I'm doing. K. R.”

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 03:49:48 PM »
Andrew Skurka's Beans & Rice recipe.
This is not the New Orleans red beans & rice that I know and love.
I have made a couple practice runs at the house. Pretty good and I will work them into the food bag.
http://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpacking-dinner-recipe-beans-rice-with-fritos-cheese/
Wayne

Gracias!

Keep those recipes coming
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline venchka

• Coyote
    • My LUG Gallery
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2016, 04:05:24 PM »
They're everywhere. Help a brother out.
In fairness to the recipe my test didn't include the cheese or the Fritos. My bad.
Wayne

Wayne
“Leave me alone. I know what I'm doing. K. R.”

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2016, 07:19:41 PM »
dprather - how well do those sausage balls/biscuits keep on the trail.  That's a holiday tradition at our house and I can tell you they don't last more than a day.....

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2016, 08:09:40 PM »
dprather - how well do those sausage balls/biscuits keep on the trail.  That's a holiday tradition at our house and I can tell you they don't last more than a day.....

My wife is a great cook and (i) puts more cheese and sausage in the recipe, (ii) cooks them to just barely done, and (iii) makes tham a bit larger.  She wraps them pretty quickly after she takes them out of the oven.  I double wrap (wax paper and a baggie) them in twos and threes.   They are good for three days, maybe four before they get too dry to enjoy. 

These are great with a big cup of soup.

Like I said, I have to treat and tempt myself to eat on the trail.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2016, 08:30:24 PM »
My wife is a great cook and (i) puts more cheese and sausage in the recipe, (ii) cooks them to just barely done, and (iii) makes tham a bit larger.  She wraps them pretty quickly after she takes them out of the oven.  I double wrap (wax paper and a baggie) them in twos and threes.   They are good for three days, maybe four before they get too dry to enjoy. 

These are great with a big cup of soup.

Like I said, I have to treat and tempt myself to eat on the trail.

Our wives must be sisters (of course, to misquote Kipling "they're all sisters under the skin").  I gained 40 pounds the first year we were married.  She would rather cook than eat out and I have yet to eat a meal in the restaurant that tasted near as good as anything she prepares.  I told someone the other the day the only thing she can't cook is a bad meal.  And, bless her heart, try as she might, she can't bake a dessert that lasts longer than 3 days...

At any rate, you've piqued our interest.  She also bakes what we call "fruitcake cookies" that are chock full of nuts and fruit and I feel certain would keep pretty well.

I'm liking this food thread!

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2016, 08:41:18 PM »
Two Things - one wife as a great cook story, and one wife recipe.

BTW - bring on the fruitcake cookie recipe!

Right after we married (1977) and we would go visit my parents, I would always say "Let (my wife) cook, she's the greatest cook in the world."  My dad had to pull me aside to give me a head's up that I was infuriating my mom.  Silly me. 

Instant Potato Soup

2 cups instant coffee creamer
1-2* envelopes of 4-cheese instant potatoes
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1 tbsp+ chicken bullion granules (this is essential)
1/2 tsp+ pepper
11/2-2* cups of instant potato flakes

Parmesan cheese
QUALITY bacon bits (homemade works)

works good thick and thin (more or less water)

looks like it will work as the basis of a good chowder with the addition if freeze dried corn and carrots

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2016, 09:06:25 PM »
Two Things - one wife as a great cook story, and one wife recipe.

BTW - bring on the fruitcake cookie recipe!

Right after we married (1977) and we would go visit my parents, I would always say "Let (my wife) cook, she's the greatest cook in the world."  My dad had to pull me aside to give me a head's up that I was infuriating my mom.  Silly me. 

Instant Potato Soup

2 cups instant coffee creamer
1-2* envelopes of 4-cheese instant potatoes
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1 tbsp+ chicken bullion granules (this is essential)
1/2 tsp+ pepper
11/2-2* cups of instant potato flakes

Parmesan cheese
QUALITY bacon bits (homemade works)

works good thick and thin (more or less water)

looks like it will work as the basis of a good chowder with the addition if freeze dried corn and carrots

Ah, young love.

Thanks for the potato soup recipe.  I think that would go great with the sausage balls/biscuits.

I may have hit a nerve when I asked my bride about the fruitcake cookie recipe >:(  Apparently, this is a family heirloom recipe.  I had no idea.  I'm getting an earful about Miss Esther Rollick's Orange Marmalade Cake recipe being broadcast to the entire town of Mitford, "That's how these things get out of hand".  LOL!  I'm negotiating.  This may have to be something I have to PM you. 

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2016, 09:19:09 PM »
I promise to not let things get out of hand

Offline TXbywayofMS

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2017, 01:00:37 PM »
I had to go through and make sure no one has posted about this company before, but I HIGHLY recommend Pack It Gourmet (packitgourmet.com). They are Austin, TX based backpacking food company. They have a rather substantial selection. They are highly rated (backpacker magazine, outdoor, etc.) and highly reviewed (check shugemery channel on youtube). Super easy to cook plus they have some good cooking gear. Ive had the chicken and dumplings, pablano corn chowder, and the state fair chili. All were awesome.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2017, 01:35:25 PM »
I had to go through and make sure no one has posted about this company before, but I HIGHLY recommend Pack It Gourmet (packitgourmet.com). They are Austin, TX based backpacking food company. They have a rather substantial selection. They are highly rated (backpacker magazine, outdoor, etc.) and highly reviewed (check shugemery channel on youtube). Super easy to cook plus they have some good cooking gear. Ive had the chicken and dumplings, pablano corn chowder, and the state fair chili. All were awesome.

That's looks like pretty interesting stuff. And a small, family-run, and local business to boot. Thanks for the heads-up!
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!