Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Best one-man backpacking tents (not tarps) that are reasonably priced

• 13 Replies

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Top price = $250
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline GaryF

• Coyote
Tarptent Protrail?    Disclaimer: Recommendation based upon specs and other peopleís reviews, I have no personal experience with this tent.

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
https://www.rei.com/product/110817/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-1-tent

Have used this one over 4 years.  It holds up better than most for a great price.  The #1 concern with these small tents are how well they handle a wind blowing on them from the side.  Trust me.  This is very important come rainstorms in the mountains.  Most use only one long pole that extends the length of the tent.  The strongest ones use a second pole that holds out the side of the tent to make it wide.  The REi one does this pretty well, and the fly is designed to stretch out further on the sides for more stability.  I have an older Marmot Tungsten that did NOT handle side wind very well at all.  The redesigned Marmot 2-pole tent they sell now looks like it should hold up better, but I haven't use it every.  The Marmot is also heavier.  14 oz difference between the 2.  The REI one also has a vent.  Don't know about the Marmot.  The vent is a huge plus in my experience.  If I were to buy a new tent that uses tent poles, I would buy the REI one.

https://www.campsaver.com/marmot-tungsten-1p-tent-1-person-3-season.html?_iv_code=MRT-TBK-MAR1123-365555&msclkid=141deff2f7ac1c9085c3b2e5ac2730c6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Marmot%3EUS%3EShopping&utm_term=4580840325653860&utm_content=Marmot%3EShopping%3EUS
First Russian Collusion, then Obstruction, then illegal payment to Stormy Daniels, then tax returns subpoenaed. Now no formal vote on impeachment for a 30 min. phone call to Ukraine

No crime. No evidence, just more secret investigations

Drain the Swamp.  America will survive.  God Bless America

Offline Meadows8903

• Roadrunner
Best one-man backpacking tents (not tarps) that are reasonably priced
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 08:01:15 AM »
I have had really good luck with my el cheapo Alps Mountaineering Lynx 1 person tent. It has withstood 4 multi night trips to Big Bend and a couple in East Texas. I did buy the floor protector to add a little more protection, but so far no rips, no broken poles, no busted grommets, nada. It sets up really easily, breathes well and is under 4 pounds. Theyíre only $82 on Amazon right now. I have a similar Kelty Salida 2 person model which was a little more expensive but almost the same in materials and build quality. Similar weight as the Alps but it gives me the room to sleep two when my wife or son overnights with me. Itís about $40 more than the Alps but has been great as well. I know there are better, lighter options out there, but for the money, I strongly recommend them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"Bend-ing since 1992"

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.

Have used this one over 4 years.  It holds up better than most for a great price.

Iíll second this recommendation. My brother owns this one and also REIís larger Half Dome. I havenít personally used the Quarter Dome, but I have borrowed his Half Dome when taking family and/or friends on multi-day trips. The design and build quality of this line of tents is very well thought-out and executed, and offers outstanding value for the price. If I were to buy myself a tent, Iíd definitely consider one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Online wrangler88

• Coyote
Anything tarptent is GREAT. Have had several models and have not been disappointed.

Offline Lissa

• Coyote
Have been using a tarptent Double Rainbow for 10 years now and itís a great tent. Works for 2 if you get along (the double doors/vestibule  is huge for this), and itís a palace for one. Find it super easy to put up quickly, and I like that the construction means you can erect it in the rain without the interior getting wet (assuming you shut the doors before packing up). I

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion

This is the one I have.  Haven't used it as much as I'd like.....but it has served me well the times I have used it. 
On sale now for 4th of July.

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
 I gotta' put a plug in for the REI Half Dome.  I picked it up a year or two ago and love it.  Used it in twice now in major rain events and no issues.  One time I had it in very strong winds and it held it's form throughout.

Easy set up and take down although mine was advertised to have color coded poles that coordinated to the loops on the tent and it did not.  When setting it up and you have the poles out flat, you do need a bit more area to work in than you'll actually need when the poles are bent into shape and the tent is actually standing.  Not a major concern though.

Although I can get my gear inside the tent, I do love the vestibule created by the rainfly and also like that you have doors on both sides.  Good ventilation too.

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/general-outdoor-stuff-camping-equipment/half-dome-2-plus-kelty-20-fox-outfitter-airlite-100/msg170102/#msg170102

Offline roadtrip

• Roadrunner
Re: Best one-man backpacking tents (not tarps) that are reasonably priced
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 04:27:33 PM »
Top price = $250
There's an Alps Mountaineering Ibex 1p for $70. right now on Backcountry.com and Amazon. I think it's a discontinued version of the Zephyr
Comes in just under 4lb.
I've got a couple of other models of Alps tent. They aw - ite.

Offline DeserTrek

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 07:19:49 PM »
Tarptent Protrail is pretty awesome. Quick and easy to set up after those long day hikes and exceptional quality.

Hereís a good deal on a Motrail 2P

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/fs-tarptent-motrail-like-new/

TarpTent and Big Sky are the only tent manufacturers that I recommend for an actual tent like set up without trekking poles.

Tarps are known for having much better fabric quality and higher silnylon HH ratings than tents. Plus most tents tend to use PU, which smell horrible overtime.
Iíd recommend using only SilNylon, which I believe TarpTent and Big Sky do. Both are quality manufacturers.

Btw, tents actually take longer to set up then most tarps, unless you donít have trekking poles.  MLD Solomid XL would be a whole lot quicker and easier to pitch in a real thunderstorm compared to a tent like setup. Just something to think about.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 11:36:09 PM »
REI is having a nice sale on Marmot Tungstens
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline miatarchy04

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 06:43:27 AM »
REI's Labor day sale discounts Marmot Tungsten and Big Agnes Copper Spur tents 25%, REI Half Domes 30%. Starts Aug 23rd.

Offline nathanr

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 07:56:16 AM »
Shaped tarps that you can use alone, or paired with an inner tent are my favorite. I've used a Duomid pyramid tarp for the past 6 years - it's bomb proof, flexible, light. It works in alpine, desert, forest, summer, winter. It pairs with an inner tent when bugs or condensation are bad, or i use it alone when i just need wind or rain protection. Duomids are usually ~$180 for the tarp secondhand. There are knock-offs available on alibaba, ebay, etc that apparently aren't as good quality but are very cheap and may be a good option if you want to try out a pyramid style tarp. 

If I were in the market for a new tent now I'd probably get the Durston X-mid tent from Massdrop, the Skurka High Route tent from Sierra Designs, or the Tarptent Stratospire or Tarptent Notch.  All of these are excellent designs. They use two trekking poles at an offset angle to increase inner space. They have a vestibule on each side that open up to let a cross breeze through. They have an inner tent that keeps out condensation, bugs, drafts. The inners can be detached if you just want the tarp, and you can leave the inner paired with the tarp so you set up both at the same time. If you set them up in the rain the inner stays dry. The X-mid and High Route are both ~$250 new, and you should be able to find the Tarptents for ~$250 in good condition secondhand.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!