Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Big Agnes line of inflatable air mattresses

• 22 Replies

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Big Agnes line of inflatable air mattresses
« on: April 18, 2019, 05:42:52 PM »
I have LOVED the Big Agnes line of inflatable, light-weight air mattresses and the ingenious sleeve design of their sleeping bags.

HOWEVER...

I have noticed that my recent purchases of this product are not lasting very long - they bleed air after two or three years.

On-line reviewers are recognizing the same problem.

Are any of ya'll seeing the same thing?

Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
Re: Big Agnes line of inflatable air mattresses
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 08:35:04 PM »
I cannot yet attest to the longevity of BA pads. I have recently (6 months) started using the Big Agnes SLX large pad. It's by far the most comfortable backpacking pad I've used. I hope the air leaking doesn't become a problem.

Offline GaryF

• Coyote
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 09:55:21 PM »
I had a similar experience. After about 3 years, it would seep air. No significant leaks that I could find, it just seemed to turn porous, and I gave up on it at the 4 year mark.  I like Big Agnes, but in this case, I replaced it with an Exped SynMat as my car camping pad.

Offline Quatro

• Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 07:46:33 AM »
Same problem here. Took about 3 hours to go flat.  Traced the leakage to the seams and the area surrounding the nozzle.  I gave up.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »
This is, perhaps, an example of a product that was once great but that has now "gone flat."

My first BA lasted for 6 or 7 years - under hard use.

My succeeding BAs have all suffered with the problem of bleeding air after much less use.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 04:19:54 PM »
Mine is about 4 years old.  So far. So good. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline GaryF

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 09:07:50 AM »
PacingTheCage,  do you use an inflator, pump bag, etc?   I always wondered if the moisture from inflating by mouth contributed to the demise of my BA matt.  Going forward, Iím sticking to using a pump bag.

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 12:00:50 PM »
PacingTheCage,  do you use an inflator, pump bag, etc?   I always wondered if the moisture from inflating by mouth contributed to the demise of my BA matt.  Going forward, Iím sticking to using a pump bag.

Iíve always inflated by mouth.

You make a good point though. It does seem like bacteria from blowing into the mat could cause some damage especially around the valve.

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 08:13:40 AM »
I have one of the early generations Big Agnes air mattress, probably got it in... 2007? 2008?

It worked great for 3-4 years then started leaking like everyone talks about.  i usually just wake up halfway through the night to re-inflate it, but maybe 10 years is a good enough run :o

though I remember paying close to $100 when I got it, it looks like the same style is closer to $200 these days  :eusa_boohoo:

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 11:21:22 AM »

Iíve always inflated by mouth.

You make a good point though. It does seem like bacteria from blowing into the mat could cause some damage especially around the valve.

All of the things I have read about the potential mold issue is that it really  doesn't happen, some folks have cut open pads to check and find none or maybe a little near the valve.  Just keep your valve open when it is in storage.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 09:56:34 PM »
Sleeping pads remain the most difficult element of my backcountry kit. I have two BA pads, a thermarest, and a couple of variations on the solid foam pad, and I kind of hate them all. I simply do not have a solution beyond waking up every few hours and blowing up my pad. For truck camping I use a paco pad, which is LUXURIOUS, but nothing I would want to drag more than a few hundred feet from a truck or boat. Wish I had a better solution, but I'm not sure it exists until they skin inflatable pads in kevlar.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 11:37:27 PM »
+1 Ranger Tim.

My experience is really odd.  Some nights on the trail are fitful and restless - like I just cannot find a comfortable spot.

Other nights are as restful and as comfortable as any I have.

My frustration is that I simply do not have a handle on the variables.

My theory is that rushing to get on the trail and feeling rushed on the trail might be the culprit for bad nights' sleep.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 11:53:39 PM »
Sleeping pads remain the most difficult element of my backcountry kit. I have two BA pads, a thermarest, and a couple of variations on the solid foam pad, and I kind of hate them all. I simply do not have a solution beyond waking up every few hours and blowing up my pad. For truck camping I use a paco pad, which is LUXURIOUS, but nothing I would want to drag more than a few hundred feet from a truck or boat. Wish I had a better solution, but I'm not sure it exists until they skin inflatable pads in kevlar.

Back when Academy on Ben White had foam in various sizes, I bought the largest one they had.  I use it to this day.

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 07:17:59 AM »
One of the best tips I got off of BBC was about how much to inflate my air mattress.  I have a thema-rest which is very thin but I started using a thicker air pad during more temperament trips (also car camping so I'm not packing it around).  I found that I slept a lot more comfortable when I left my pad just short of "fully inflated".  That bit of softness allowed my hips and elbows to sink in a bit in different positions and I slept better. 

In the long run, it might also put a little less stress on the seams. 

Just throwing that in there...

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 08:54:41 AM »
One of the best tips I got off of BBC was about how much to inflate my air mattress.  I have a thema-rest which is very thin but I started using a thicker air pad during more temperament trips (also car camping so I'm not packing it around).  I found that I slept a lot more comfortable when I left my pad just short of "fully inflated".  That bit of softness allowed my hips and elbows to sink in a bit in different positions and I slept better. 

In the long run, it might also put a little less stress on the seams. 

Just throwing that in there...

My buddy and I have this very same theory.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!