Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Bungy Cord Alternative.

• 6 Replies

SHANEA

Bungy Cord Alternative.
« on: June 05, 2006, 04:07:30 PM »
Do you use bungy cords on your West Texas Trans Pecos Big Bend Region adventures?  I've got a pretty good alternative for you.  I picked these up a while back at Kmart in Lufkin Texas and they really worked well on the most recent Most Excellent BIBE Adventure.  We used them to lash coolers and other items to the deck of the R2D2, etc.  We also used them to create "lash points" for traditional bungy cords.  Really neat.  Held up through one trip so far.  A little pricey, but still not bad.  So, get out the ole wallet and go purchase a dozen of them and help stimulate this economy.

Had picked up these Grip N' Twists a while back from KMart in Lufkin b4 the most recent BIBE trip.  They really worked out well in lashing stuff like the cooler to the deck of the R2D2.

http://www.griptwist.com/

BigBendHiker

Bungy Cord Alternative.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 08:05:17 PM »
Hi Shanea!

First time I have ever seen or heard of these.   Thanks for making us aware of these.

BBH

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
Bungy Cord Alternative.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 09:42:05 PM »
Are they very heavy? What's inside? Like giant bread ties I guess.
   Bill

Bill - In San Antonio

Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional.

Offline Bobcat

• Mountain Lion
Bungy Cord Alternative.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 09:51:08 PM »
Those things look ominous!
Location Location Location

Offline 10ftTall&BulletPrf

• Black Bear
Bungy Cord Alternative.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 08:59:06 AM »
These are interesting.

How much were they?

Where in KMart did you find them? The camping section? Automotive?
"You may all go to work and I will go to Big Bend" - If Davy Crockett were alive today.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Bungy Cord Alternative.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 09:12:37 AM »
Quote from: "10ftTall&BulletPrf"
These are interesting.

How much were they?

Where in KMart did you find them? The camping section? Automotive?

If you're like me and have a hard time going into a K-Mart (or even finding one that's still in business), they'll let you order them directly at https://www.griptwist.com/ssl/index.htm

I wonder how long these things will hold up.  How many twists are they good for?  Look like they could be pretty useful if they're durable.

SHANEA

KMart Rules
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 12:11:34 PM »
I always support the underdog and obviously KMart is the underdog, plus, they are now joined at the hip with Sears and we can't let Sears go down the tubes because of Craftsman tools - we'd put Bob Villa out of a job  :oops:

I found them in the automotive section at Kmart.    I'm not sure how much I paid for them, it was back when I had a job and a large free cash flow.

I'll keep you posted on how they work out.  Yes, they are like big bread twist ties.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!