Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Clothing suggestions for hot summers

• 30 Replies

Offline vgeh

• Jack Rabbit
Clothing suggestions for hot summers
« on: February 05, 2018, 10:37:12 PM »
I am looking into buying a hiking shirt, hat or/and umbrella and maybe a pant for super hot summer hiking. Potentially to use in places like Grand Canyon, Death Valley and similar west open desert and high elevation places.

Shirt: This will be my first hiking shirt. I am used to wearing tshirt(long or short) but shirt seem to work better for hot weather hiking. Sun protection is a need(maybe 25+ UPF ratings?). I am thinking a nylon and polyester comb shirt and with some ventilations port/vents.

Hat/Umbrella: I am leaning towards hat only setup so that my hands can go hands free and use my poles. I also think umbrella are not flexible to use in variety of situations. Used hat for first time at GUMO but it was a free hat from a vendor at work( :icon_biggrin:). Need some suggestions for wide brim hat with vents and flaps to cover neck. Do I need a neck flap if I have shirt? Would the shirt collar sufficient?

Pants: My problem with most outdoor pants is size. Any skinny hikers? lol

Thanks.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Clothing suggestions for hot summers
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 08:33:55 AM »
Everyone has an opinion.  Here is a good thread at Backpacking Light on sun shirts many say just get a long sleeved cotton or cotton/polyester shirt from the thrift store.  I am a fan of Rail Riders shirts with vents and long sleeve with flip up collars, currently I use a Bone Flats shirt.

I like convertible pants because I like shorts when it's hot, again many will disagree with that.  I have a newish pair of REI Sahara's that are much slimmer fitting than the old style.

I use a wide brimmed hat from Alf but have been seriously looking at a Tilley Airflow mesh hat.  If I was really going to be crazy and walk super hot desert I would use an umbrella like the Chrome Dome.

This a a good thread on MAXIMIZING COOL CLOTHING STRATEGY FOR HOT, DRY, SUNNY DESERT from Backpacking Light.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 10:31:22 AM »
+1 on the Tilley hat.  My wife found one at a garage sale ($3!!!!) and it has become my favorite.  The fact that it floats is a plus when I'm kayaking.

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 11:34:00 AM »
If I'm on a trail, I like to wear longsleeve under armor heat gear.  Somewhat close fitting - you want the fabric in contact with your skin as the sweat evaporates for maximum cooling.  These shirts tear easily though, so if I'm hiking in areas where I expect brush or thorns, I like to bring two cotton shirts (I bought two used dress shirts from goodwill and cut the collar off).  Cotton typically isn't good for desert heat, but I bring two - when one gets soaked with sweat, I take it off and clip it to my pack and put on the other one.  When that one gets soaked, I switch them again.  The shirt on my pack is usually damp and borderline cold from all the evaporative cooling it's been getting.  These shirts look like they'll last forever, and together, cost less than a tenth of what a good desert hiking shirt will.

Also, the color of the clothes can make a huge difference!  A white, heavy fabric shirt can feel cooler than a black, thin sweatwicking one.

For pants, I have two pairs where I cut strips out of the inseam and sewed mesh in there.  Testing them before and after, it felt like I extended their comfort level by 10+ degrees.  Both these pants are rapidly approaching their usable life.  I may pay someone to sew the mesh in my next pair...that was a lot of work.

I usually hike with a bandana and a light, floppy wide brim hat.  For very exposed, summer desert hikes, I like to wear a burnouse (like  these http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/burnouse.html). Lots of protection, vent well, and you can pull the fabric over your face to fully protect yourself from sun or dust.  There's a reason they wear these in the deserts of the middle east. I first saw someone wearing one at the bottom of the grand canyon in 100F weather.  He dunked it in a stream and put it back on for a great cool-down - I was sold.

Also, I may have sensitive eyes, but if I'm going to be hiking a lot in exposed areas, especially with light colored rocks/sand, I wear eyeblack under my eyes.  Even with glasses, my eyes can get sore from the light reflecting off the ground.  Eyeblack goes a long way to eliminating that (it even has a noticeable effect without glasses).  Plus if you smear it on, you can look pretty hardcore!

Offline GaryF

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 11:51:49 AM »
For hot weather shirts I like the cheapie Hanes X-temp tees.  They are a very thin 60/40 fabric that doesn’t seem to wet out like 100% cotton, and it breathes well and dries quickly.  UPF 40, long sleeve and short sleeve options, and it weighs about 30% less than a regular cotton tee. 

You can usually find them at Walmart, Amazon, etc, Hanes has a pretty wide distribution.

Offline DesertRatShorty

• Coyote
    • Who was Desert Rat Shorty?
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 02:13:29 PM »
If you hike with trekking poles, thin hiking gloves can prevent your hands from becoming burned and leathery. Aim for total coverage.
I roamed and rambled, and I foller'ed my footsteps
   To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
   And all around me a voice was a'sounding
   This land was made for you and me

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 04:27:40 PM »
Aside: you can really tell the veterans from the rookies in regard to clothing.  The veterans are covered head to toe; the rookies are hardly covered.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline congahead

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 04:28:34 PM »
Like Mule Ears, I prefer the Rail Riders Bone Flats shirt. Their Cool Khakis are also great for the desert.

For head protection, check out the Pro Tech by HeadSweats.
"The animals here will generally try to avoid you, but the plants will hurt you every chance they get."

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 07:50:34 PM »
If you hike with trekking poles, thin hiking gloves can prevent your hands from becoming burned and leathery. Aim for total coverage.

I like using Gorilla Grip gloves.

Offline DesertRatShorty

• Coyote
    • Who was Desert Rat Shorty?
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 08:39:49 PM »
For a hat I recommend the Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat. Great neck coverage.
I roamed and rambled, and I foller'ed my footsteps
   To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
   And all around me a voice was a'sounding
   This land was made for you and me

Offline vgeh

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 11:04:58 PM »
Everyone has an opinion.  Here is a good thread at Backpacking Light on sun shirts many say just get a long sleeved cotton or cotton/polyester shirt from the thrift store.  I am a fan of Rail Riders shirts with vents and long sleeve with flip up collars, currently I use a Bone Flats shirt.

I like convertible pants because I like shorts when it's hot, again many will disagree with that.  I have a newish pair of REI Sahara's that are much slimmer fitting than the old style.

I use a wide brimmed hat from Alf but have been seriously looking at a Tilley Airflow mesh hat.  If I was really going to be crazy and walk super hot desert I would use an umbrella like the Chrome Dome.

This a a good thread on MAXIMIZING COOL CLOTHING STRATEGY FOR HOT, DRY, SUNNY DESERT from Backpacking Light.

Thanks Mule Ears for the references. I read one of the BPL articles you linked but the other article you linked is even more informative. I still have mixed thoughts about using cotton. I know cotton has been the main clothing material for desert conditions for long long time. But most of these high elevation hot deserts in US gets cold immediately after sunset. So I am holding on from getting  cotton hiking clothes. Rail Rider and Tilley are very expensive. I want to retire asap to spend more time outdoor. So need to be frugal on gears, haha. Yes, Chrome dome type umbrella is my choice. Do you carry umbrella in hand or have some type of setup to carry in your backpack?

Offline vgeh

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 11:16:43 PM »
If I'm on a trail, I like to wear longsleeve under armor heat gear.  Somewhat close fitting - you want the fabric in contact with your skin as the sweat evaporates for maximum cooling.  These shirts tear easily though, so if I'm hiking in areas where I expect brush or thorns, I like to bring two cotton shirts (I bought two used dress shirts from goodwill and cut the collar off).  Cotton typically isn't good for desert heat, but I bring two - when one gets soaked with sweat, I take it off and clip it to my pack and put on the other one.  When that one gets soaked, I switch them again.  The shirt on my pack is usually damp and borderline cold from all the evaporative cooling it's been getting.  These shirts look like they'll last forever, and together, cost less than a tenth of what a good desert hiking shirt will.

Also, the color of the clothes can make a huge difference!  A white, heavy fabric shirt can feel cooler than a black, thin sweatwicking one.

For pants, I have two pairs where I cut strips out of the inseam and sewed mesh in there.  Testing them before and after, it felt like I extended their comfort level by 10+ degrees.  Both these pants are rapidly approaching their usable life.  I may pay someone to sew the mesh in my next pair...that was a lot of work.

I usually hike with a bandana and a light, floppy wide brim hat.  For very exposed, summer desert hikes, I like to wear a burnouse (like  these http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/burnouse.html). Lots of protection, vent well, and you can pull the fabric over your face to fully protect yourself from sun or dust.  There's a reason they wear these in the deserts of the middle east. I first saw someone wearing one at the bottom of the grand canyon in 100F weather.  He dunked it in a stream and put it back on for a great cool-down - I was sold.

Also, I may have sensitive eyes, but if I'm going to be hiking a lot in exposed areas, especially with light colored rocks/sand, I wear eyeblack under my eyes.  Even with glasses, my eyes can get sore from the light reflecting off the ground.  Eyeblack goes a long way to eliminating that (it even has a noticeable effect without glasses).  Plus if you smear it on, you can look pretty hardcore!

Great suggestions and references. I have similar thoughts about headwear and pants. For headwear I was thinking a wide brim hat with flaps to replace the burnouse. For pants, I was looking at vesti which is traditional dress in South India. Vesti(dhoti) is a simple rectangular cloth made of cotton wrapped around. Plenty of ventilation, very simple and cheap. 

Offline vgeh

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 11:18:26 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 08:20:58 AM »
Aside: you can really tell the veterans from the rookies in regard to clothing.  The veterans are covered head to toe; the rookies are hardly covered.

Yep. The desert veterans know that fully covered skin is smart.

The crowd in shorts, tank tops, no hat and sandals/flipflops = TOURIST
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 09:17:20 AM »
"Hey, how 'bout a Fandango..?"

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!