Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Clothing suggestions for hot summers

• 30 Replies

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: Clothing suggestions for hot summers
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 09:57:14 AM »
Get one of these....makes the walking much easier

Not all those who wander are lost.
Ė J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 02:04:13 PM »
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Clothing suggestions for hot summers
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 02:05:28 PM »

I'll admit it looks good, but have you ever tried to hike in one of those in the rain?  :eusa_naughty:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:28:08 PM by House Made of Dawn »

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 05:45:54 PM »

I'll admit it looks good, but have you ever tried to hike in one of those in the rain?  :eusa_naughty:

Not a problem with a hydrophobic nano coating. Water, mud, blood, etc., just slides right off.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 48 years.
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 11:11:57 PM »
Considerably heavier (almost double) than a Chrome Dome, but perhaps a more durable Umbrella.

https://www.coolibar.com/catalog/product/view/id/591/s/42-inch-titanium-travel-umbrella/

I love mine, I've had it for 9 years and it still works great. However, I don't backpack, just a day hiker now so I can afford the extra 6oz. It's one button to open it, then press the same button to close it and then press the tip down against a rock or tree to re-arm the umbrella for more one button action. Completely one hand operation so you can have your trekking pole(s) in the other hand. I find hats too hot for my liking. But then..I'm a little weird.

Fort Worth

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 09:56:09 AM »
How well does the Coolibar hold up if it starts to hail?
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 01:03:40 AM »

Much better than most hats, but not as well as a motorcycle helmet.

If that was a serious question, then a serious answer is I don't really know. I've only been caught outside in hail storms twice. The motorcycle helmet was great protection but I still thought I was going to crash. The time with an umbrella (it wasn't a Coolibar) I squatted down next to a 55 gallon trash can barrel and angled the umbrella over my head so that the hail would hit most of it at a glancing angle. Seemed to work with marble sized hail even on a cheap free umbrella. I think the Coolibar umbrella could handle it easily under the same conditions. If the hail had gotten up to quarter or half dollar size...I don't know. That might be a good time to turn the trash barrel over and climb in.
Fort Worth

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 05:39:59 AM »
FM, thank you for the reply. I've never been caught in quarter-size hail, but several times when I have been hiking in the Big Bend, I was in a storm with hail about the size of a dime. Once I was at the picnic table at the cabin near boot spring when it started to hail ... in about 20 minutes it looked like it had snowed in August! I had a solid umbrella with me, which is why I asked. Definitely a serious question.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 02:02:29 PM »

If the hail had gotten up to quarter or half dollar size...I don't know. That might be a good time to turn the trash barrel over and climb in.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: Any port in a storm.  :great:

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2018, 12:29:09 AM »
Once I was at the picnic table at the cabin near boot spring when it started to hail ... in about 20 minutes it looked like it had snowed in August! I had a solid umbrella with me, which is why I asked. Definitely a serious question.
Cool (no pun intended) ...by solid umbrella I guess you mean it held up and protected you long enough for you to get under the picnic table?
Regardless I like umbrellas much better than hats for heat avoidance. It can shade much more of you than a hat can, and it allows any breeze that comes along to cool the sweat of your brow and scalp. One does have to get used to holding it and keeping it pointed at the sun as the trail twists and turns. It gets almost automatic as you get used to it. I actually took a cheap one that was well used and covered it with a silver Mylar space blanket (what a weirdo)  and used it on a hike to Randell's Overlook as a test run. Except for the crinkling noise I liked it a lot and ordered my Coolibar umbrella as soon as I returned home. So is it for everybody?.. probably  not, but try it in July in your back yard with an umbrella you already have. Stand in full sun for 5 minutes in your hat and then remove your hat and open the umbrella and stand under it for 5 minutes. If you don't notice a tremendous difference then get back on here and say so.

Other advantages, it seems to scare away annoying flies and bugs and the ones that come anyway seem to give up and fly away if you tip it back and forth a few times; You can use it to make yourself appear larger if confronted by an aggressive animal; and of course rain and maybe some limited hail protection.  :icon_wink:
Fort Worth

Offline Slimkitty

• Coyote
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 06:38:42 AM »
 Iím growing more and more interested in this umbrella idea.  Plus, Iíd love to see the look on some exhausted hikerís face as I come skipping up along the trail, walking pole in one hand, umbrella in the other. (At this point though, I would be that exhausted hiker.)

Sent from the future.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 08:39:59 AM »
I actually took a cheap one that was well used and covered it with a silver Mylar space blanket
(what a weirdo)  and used it on a hike to Randell's Overlook as a test run. Except for the crinkling noise I liked it a lot and ordered my Coolibar umbrella as soon as I returned home.
Calendar nomination!!!

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 03:41:13 PM »
 :icon_lol:

Fort Worth

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 05:38:42 PM »
I never hike without an umbrella. Mine have a 100 per cent fiberglass or polycarbonate mechanism, i.e., non conductive. I always wear a long sleeved shirt and a wide brimmed hat; the umbrella is strictly for the storms.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 06:42:40 PM »

How did I my kids miss seeing that episode of VT?  LOL!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!