Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Coffee...

• 10 Replies

Offline mogwai

• Kangaroo Rat
Coffee...
« on: August 28, 2018, 11:37:24 AM »
Camp Coffee, I both hate it but need it and the choices always stunk.  But, I took the risk and ordered a couple sample packs from Voila coffee.  It's friggin expensive at 5 cups of coffee (8-12oz) for $16 so I'm not thrilled about the price but we gave it a shot and honestly I was surprised at how great it was.   https://voila.coffee/shop/

For you beer drinkers out there, it's not unlike preferring a "craft" beer over a Natural Light.  No one thinks your a snob because you don't Natural Light...it's Natural Light, after all.  It's not supposed to taste good.

Anyway, while the voila sampler pack came with 5 different "roasts" from different coffee growers, to be honest, I'm not certain I could really tell the difference between one roast from another in blind test, but I will tell you this...for dehydrated coffee, this is the best I've had. 

The coffee was strong and all of them had a really nice flavour without ever tasting burnt or bitter.  My wife described it as tasting genuinely like a strong cup of coffee from Kerbey Lane in Austin.  Not the kind of coffee I would drink every day but such a welcome surprise after trying Trader Joes, Starbucks, Bustelo and one other that I can't recall.

If you're looking to splurge on camp coffee Voila is a great choice in our opinion.

Anyone else have other coffee suggestions?

Offline Tommyb

• Kangaroo Rat
Coffee...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 08:53:24 PM »
I also am not crazy about boiled coffee. I like Starbucks instant packs (VIA).   Just boil water and a decent cup is there.

Sent from my iPad using Big Bend Chat
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:39:34 PM by Tommyb »

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
Re: Coffee...
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »
I have also been using the Starbucks Via (for ease of use and decent taste). I will carry my normal everyday coffee with me sometimes and use the French press in my jet boil. That's is preferred but messy for backpacking.

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 10:37:48 PM »
It doesn't take more than a few minutes of hiking for me to get the adrenaline flowing enough that I have no desire for coffee.  8)
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 07:54:36 AM »
Half a No-Doze or Vivran is 100mg of caffeine.  Quick consumption, fast preparation, no mess, and LIGHT!  Perfect for backpacking.    :willynilly:
The Tolerant Left  Masters of the Universe at Apple, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, Criteo, Vimeo and Spotify removed Alex Jones and other conservative voices.  There's no argument when only one side is heard!

What's your Social Credit Score?

May God Bless America

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »
In a pinch, I do the starbucks instant coffee's.
Now I carry a french press travel mug and just pour grounds and hot water in there.
Let it steep and press it down.
Viola!  A great cup of coffee.
It'll almost make even Folgers taste great out in the wilderness.  HAHA.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Online ggowins

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 01:46:59 PM »
I can wait for coffee until after I start my hike, since I can get some at the new Starbucks at the top of the Pinnacles trail.

Offline Slimkitty

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 07:18:40 AM »
For the past couple of years Iíve been using an aero press to make my daily cup of coffee. I personally believe this simple device makes the best tasting cup of coffee possible. It just so happens that itís great for camping as well, as it is small and only requires a little filter, your coffee, and some hot water.  It sits directly on top of your cup and only takes a minute or two once your water is ready. 

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline CC

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 11:49:27 AM »
+1 for aeropress.  It is also my go-to coffee maker for a good strong espresso-style brew.  I prefer it to the french press and plastic cone-filter, though I still use those around the house.  On the trail I do prefer to take the Via packets, and if I don't bring a stove at all, I throw some canned espresso drinks in the cooler.

-C

Offline photopam

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 02:04:20 PM »
I can wait for coffee until after I start my hike, since I can get some at the new Starbucks at the top of the Pinnacles trail.

Funny I am reading this, because my daughter and I joked about them needed one there.  She was not liking the ascent. 

Offline photopam

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 02:07:38 PM »
Also I take a pour over sometimes for car camping, but haven't gotten the fold up one for backpacking yet.  I have been eyeing the Snow Peak one. 

I too use the Instant Starbucks. Occasionally I use my french press on the Jet Boil, but need to make sure I ground the beans thicker so I'm not drinking as many...

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!