Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Equipment Report / Review

• 20 Replies

SHANEA

Re: How to use the block ice?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 12:31:19 AM »
Quote from: "Al"
With a 150 qt cooler I would hope not!

This is TEXAS - gotta have the biggest and baddest cooler around, plus it was a 40th bday present.  Plus, it removes the need for everyone to carry a cooler and ends up making everything easier and actually ends up saving space... 8)

http://www.igloocoolers.com/products/Consumer/FullSize/IglooClassics/2389

Check out http://www.igloocoolers.com for more neat products.

Offline Doc Savage

• Diamondback
  • Ready to see BIBE again
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 08:42:38 AM »
Quote from: "David Locke"
live and learn.....

a buddy of mine and I put some dry ice in one of those gigantic white coolers...all the beer froze solid and few of them exploded.....  :cry:

but, the good news is the chest stayed as a freezer for nearly 5 days in July in Big Bend!

never did that again.....now I use a combo block/cube with one of those extreme coleman chest....it works very very well.

I remember as a kid we were going on a long trip and mom used one of dad's metal igloo drink coolers filled with dry ice to keep some bottled cokes cold. First stop we had to dump the cooler. Nothing but broken glass and solid frozen coke shapes left in there. Mom wasn't real pleased.

Robert
Enjoying the Texas life!

Offline WL2

• Black Bear
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 09:07:43 AM »
My son moved to Australia a few months back and claims they sell coolers there designed for the outback.  Really super insulated.  I have not seen one yet, but I told him it they are that good then everytime he flys back to the states just pack his clothes in one of them and forget suitcases. 8)

SHANEA

Like to See..
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 10:59:54 AM »
Quote from: "WL2"
they sell coolers there designed for the outback.  Really super insulated.

WOW!  Talk about a relocation package!  I hear that when you flush the toilet down under the water swirls out in the opposite direction than from what it does on this side of the equater.

WL2, see if you can find any details on it - name, webpage, etc.  Maybe we need to setup the US Distribution arm of them here in the states.

Offline Bluetex

• Diamondback
Time for a new cooler!
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 03:36:32 PM »
I took a 4 day trip to BIBE in march and had to buy at least 2 bags of ice a day! The store at RGV made a killing of of me! I guess the 20 year old cooler my dad gave me years ago just doesn't cut it anymore.  :cry:

I was at the coleman store here in San Marcos yesterday and they have got some great deals on everything you could ever dream of using when camping. I guess I should invest in a new cooler before my next trip to BIBE in March.
" In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
                                              Abraham Lincoln

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 03:47:26 PM »
I have this: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=6155A707&categoryid=8501

Works great as long as it stays out of the sun.  

They've also started making one that looks like this again:

I had been using one of the old ones that my grandparents bought new in the early sixties.  That thing held ice forever, I used it up until the latch broke and it would no longer stay shut  tight.  40 years of service out of that thing!
WATER, It does a body good.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!