Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Equipment reviews after Dec. 2017 trip.

• 20 Replies

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Re: Equipment reviews after Dec. 2017 trip.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 04:19:27 PM »
Who remembers Sno Sealing their all leather hiking boots?  :icon_biggrin:
  Bill

:great:
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 07:58:06 PM »
Who remembers Sno Sealing their all leather hiking boots?  :icon_biggrin:
  Bill

Still have a can.   :great:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline GaryF

• Coyote
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 08:56:26 PM »
finally a pair of Merrill Wilderness still with Norwegian welt (and still in the closet)

Man that brings back some painful memories. I was always a Merrell boot guy, and eventually graduated to the Wilderness. I had a big Mountainsmith Elite 7000 (8000 cubic inch) pack. I think I did 3 big trips carrying 15-17 days worth of food, ice axe, etc.  I didn't have a name for the foot pain in those days, but now I know it's plantar fasciitis. Of course boots like that last forever, but I donated them about 20 years ago.

Now I wear Salomon SA Pro 3D Mid's and couldn't be happier. They are basically mid height trail runners, but they have a much better foot bed support than those older, heavy duty boots ever did.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 08:59:27 PM »
finally a pair of Merrill Wilderness still with Norwegian welt (and still in the closet)

Man that brings back some painful memories. I was always a Merrell boot guy, and eventually graduated to the Wilderness. I had a big Mountainsmith Elite 7000 (8000 cubic inch) pack. I think I did 3 big trips carrying 15-17 days worth of food, ice axe, etc.  I didn't have a name for the foot pain in those days, but now I know it's plantar fasciitis. Of course boots like that last forever, but I donated them about 20 years ago.

Now I wear Salomon SA Pro 3D Mid's and couldn't be happier. They are basically mid height trail runners, but they have a much better foot bed support than those older, heavy duty boots ever did.
I still have my Elite 5000 in the "museum"!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline GaryF

• Coyote
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 09:41:10 PM »
The 5000 was a more sensible size, but I was also doing winter / snowshoe camping in those days, and needed room for all the bulky warm things. I was cleaning mine up to sell last year, but when water hit the little lumbar pad, the padding material instantly decomposed into a million bits of black grit and came out through the mesh. Whatever the padding material there was, it didnít age gracefully. I need to fix it and get it the pack out of here. As comfortable as it was, Iím just never going to use an 8lb backpack again.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 10:12:11 PM »

I still have my Elite 5000 in the "museum"!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

I still have my Elite 4000! It's somewhat worse for the wear, but my wife still uses it when we take the family on longer trips. It's a bit too big for her torso, but she's not about to buy a pack for herself. That would mean she might actually be endorsing the idea of a backpacking vacation.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!