Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Any New Toys?

• 9 Replies

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Any New Toys?
« on: September 23, 2017, 09:14:40 AM »
Anybody got any new backpacking toys they want to brag about?

Me?  I have broken down (in too many ways) and have added a little weight to my backpack in the form of an...REI Co-op Trail Stool.

Not exactly kosher for ultralightists, but very nice at the end of a day.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: Any New Toys?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 10:14:48 AM »
Nice.  Sitting on the ground isn't always an option for me, so I have really enjoyed my REI Flexlite Chair on backcountry trips. I like to think my choices of other lightweight gear help offset the weight...  :o

My newest toy is a Bushnell Equinox Digital Night Vision Monocular. It was my pick as a work anniversary gift and weighs 20 oz. Will have to try it spotting critters in the Basin or RGV at night. Anyone tried out something similar?  :eusa_think:

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 02:22:04 PM »

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 02:31:06 PM »
I'm not EVEN going to start a thread about burying ANYTHING six inches deep into hard-packed Quemada.

Here is one of my newest toys: THE AMAZING DEUCE OF SPADES. It can bury ANYTHING in ANYTHING. I used it during my recent cross-park hike, and I'm telling you, it is a miracle.     https://www.rei.com/product/101795/thetentlab-the-deuce-of-spades-backcountry-potty-trowel
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline GaryF

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 04:04:11 PM »
Early in 2017 I added a Big Sky Dreamsleeper pillow to my gear. Normally I take a minimalist approach when backpacking, and Iíve always just used a stuff sack full of clothes, the backpack itself, etc. Iíve also suffered from a sore neck on most of my trips, especially after 3-4 nights. And increasingly, I just donít carry enough spare clothes to make much of a pillow out of.

The Big Sky pillow doesnít look like much more than a big packing bubble, but itís bigger and lighter than most of the inflatible nylon pillows, plus it seems to have just the right amount of give. Time will tell, but itís definitely tougher than it looks.

It makes my pack 1.8oz heavier, but after a few trips, I canít imagine going without it.

Offline horns93

• Roadrunner
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 11:58:58 AM »
I recently purchased a Steripen Ultra and used it on my last trip. I used the Sawyer Mini Squeeze before and while it is ultralight and versatile, the Steripen was so much easier to use. I filled and treated one liter of water in less than 2 minutes.

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 12:06:04 PM »
I'm not EVEN going to start a thread about burying ANYTHING six inches deep into hard-packed Quemada.

Here is one of my newest toys: THE AMAZING DEUCE OF SPADES. It can bury ANYTHING in ANYTHING. I used it during my recent cross-park hike, and I'm telling you, it is a miracle.     https://www.rei.com/product/101795/thetentlab-the-deuce-of-spades-backcountry-potty-trowel
I've been intrigued by those, but just can't stomach 20 bucks for a tiny piece of metal.  I've found most lightweight shovels to be absolute garbage, and this one appeared to remedy their failings. Maybe I'll give it another look.  Weighs 1/100th of the rock hammer

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 12:19:28 PM »

I gotta admit; I was skeptical, too. But I got one, used it in GUMO last month. Impressively strong yet slight. In fact my only concern is I will probably lose it as it's rather hard to see compared to my ancient flourescent orange heavy-duty plastic one.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Any New Toys?
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 11:09:28 AM »

I gotta admit; I was skeptical, too. But I got one, used it in GUMO last month. Impressively strong yet slight. In fact my only concern is I will probably lose it as it's rather hard to see compared to my ancient flourescent orange heavy-duty plastic one.

Iíve been using mine for over a year now, and it is the best toilet trowel Iíve ever seen. By a factor of 100. Itís unbelievably light and unbelievably strong. And I mean that literally: I have a hard time believing it. Iíve yet to find a substrate in which I canít dig an appropriate hole, and fairly easily, too. Iíve bent it slightly once, but I just bent it back and it was fine. Itís thin curved  profile makes it very easy to slip into even the tiniest spaces in your pack. I nestle it against my TP in a Ziploc. I even used it as an emergency tent stake during this last trip in BiBe. If you order it online, you canít choose your color which is a drag. The darker colors are easy to lose. Fortunately, mine is orange. But REI stores stock them so if you go there you can choose your color. As long as I donít lose mine, I figure the cost is worth it, given how many plastic trowels Iíve broken over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:17:46 AM by House Made of Dawn »
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 11:15:51 AM »
I use this one. A little bit heavy at 5 oz., but very durable.
https://www.rei.com/product/407009/u-dig-it-stainless-steel-hand-shovel
Not all those who wander are lost.
Ė J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!