Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Good article on getting lost and getting found

• 33 Replies

Online okiehiker

• Black Bear
  • cryptantha crassipses
Re: Good article on getting lost and getting found
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2019, 12:46:52 PM »
How does a compass help?  In order to "get one's bearings" there must be two indisputable landmarks in plain sight as well as on the map.  But if you can see two landmarks, you're not lost.  The time compass bearings are most needed there are no suitable points to take bearings on.  As for the general direction of north, you can get that from the sun, stars, or mossy side of the tree.
I suppose knowing which way is north is better than nothing. That knowledge along with one of your mental "hand rails", e.g. the road is south of me or the river is west, can help you eventually get unlost.

Exactly this ^^^

It is also well known that moss does not always grow on the north side of the tree.  Stars and moon?  What if it is cloudy or deep tree cover.

The original mistake we made was not taking a bearing when we left our last known location so we could follow the reverse bearing back but then we thought the GPS would give us a location to work from.
I would gladly do an introductory course to navigating/orienteering with a paper map and traditional magnetic compass.

Itís entitled ďThe list art of staying foundĒ BBRSP would be an ideal site.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
Funny... I have a story about that...

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2019, 01:02:03 PM »
Hey Okie!  Good to see you around these parts. Haven't seen you in a fair piece.

Sent from my pocket machine using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Online okiehiker

• Black Bear
  • cryptantha crassipses
Good article on getting lost and getting found
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2019, 04:15:53 PM »
Hey Okie!  Good to see you around these parts. Haven't seen you in a fair piece.

I think Iím back to making some time, and my grandkids are reaching an age where I can abuse them in the backcountry. I was down over Thanksgiving and will be down 8 days, Dec. 28-Jan. 4.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 07:32:34 PM by okiehiker »
Funny... I have a story about that...

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2019, 06:27:31 PM »

I think Iím back to making some time, and my grandkids are reaching an age where I can abuse the in the backcountry. I was downnover Thanksgiving and will be down 8 days, Dec. 28-Jan. 4.

I'll be heading out this Sunday and staying until the 1st. Gonna be a quick trip out to the property. Would love to have you out, or hook up for a drink on the porch or what not. I'll PM you....

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!