Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Heavy Brush Pants

• 4 Replies

Offline BlackBuzzard

• Kangaroo Rat
Heavy Brush Pants
« on: February 20, 2006, 05:55:55 PM »
Like others on this board, I frequently go off trail through heavy brush.  So far demin pants have been ok, but  after several painfull encounters  :x with vegitation, I am looking for anything better.

These Carhartt double front work pants are at the top of my list unless someone has a better idea. :idea:

Suggestions?

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=32060&langId=-1&categoryId=10935

BlackBuzzard

Offline WL2

• Black Bear
Heavy Brush Pants
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 07:38:08 PM »
I use a pair of snake gaiters.  This only protects to just below the knee, but that is good enough for a lot of nasty stuff.

Offline Don H

• Diamondback
Heavy Brush Pants
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 07:54:19 AM »
If it's not too terribly hot and you need protection up to the hip, snake chaps would work great.  There easy to put on - just slip it on over your pants, zip the bottom up and attach the straps to your belt or belt loops.  I have a pair that I use in my job - Rattlers Brand. available from cspoutdoors.com or forestry-suppliers.com.

Links added by your friendly moderator
"Rugged isolation in a Jeep with the top down, doors off, sweaty, dusty, listening to your flavor of tunes, immersed in the most beautiful and beguiling desert mountains in all of the Southwest, the Sierra Quemada. Nothing short of spiritual cleansing. " D. Locke

Offline BEN AND GENA

• Kangaroo Rat
Heavy Brush Pants
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 11:59:27 PM »
Ditto to what Dan says... All of our rambles in Big Bend are off trail and for the past several years we have been using snake chaps which we got from Cabelo's...  they are made of heavy duty Cordura material and do a great job of shedding off all those nasty "sticky" things that you come across in the park. Definitely reccommend that you get the full length ones (that hook onto you belt) for the extra protection.

Lemming_of_the_BDA

Re: Heavy Brush Pants
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 09:14:23 AM »
Quote from: "BlackBuzzard"

These Carhartt double front work pants are at the top of my list unless someone has a better idea. :idea:

BlackBuzzard

Snake chaps are the way to go.

They call the Carhartt's "work pants" because it's a lot of work to hike in those heavy mofo's!!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!