Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Interesting discussion on clothing for the desert

• 12 Replies

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Interesting discussion on clothing for the desert
« on: August 13, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »
This is an interesting discussion on clothing and clothing theory for the hot, dry desert at Backpacking Light.  As usual some crazy stuff but some really good details too.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Homer Wilson

• Diamondback
Re: Interesting discussion on clothing for the desert
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:12:16 AM »
Yeah, actually a decent conversation.  A lot of what I've read online about desert clothing is pretty bogus.  For me though, the best clothes for hiking in desert weather are also terrible if you have to go offtrail in the desert and encounter lech, catclaw, etc.

My girlfriend is in complete disbelief that I prefer long sleeves and pants when hiking in the desert.  But it's hard to imagine how brutal exposure to the desert sun can be.  Or maybe it's just that my skin is whiter than an eggshell.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 12:15:36 PM »
For me though, the best clothes for hiking in desert weather are also terrible if you have to go offtrail in the desert and encounter lech, catclaw, etc.

I am confused. Are you saying the best clothes for desert hiking is something other than long sleeves and pants unless you go off trail?

My girlfriend is in complete disbelief that I prefer long sleeves and pants when hiking in the desert.

Covering up in the desert is smart no matter where you hike.

Only the temporary visitors (tourists) to the desert think and act otherwise.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
Sun exposure is only one good reason to cover up.  Every plant int he desert has thorns and possesses an angry disposition toward exposed skin!
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself and to be amazed.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 07:00:18 PM »
Sun exposure is only one good reason to cover up.  Every plant int he desert has thorns and possesses an angry disposition toward exposed skin!

Indeed, and that is why I hike wearing leather gloves.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 02:01:02 PM »

Total agreement: gloves are on my list every single time.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself and to be amazed.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 04:13:37 PM »

You fellas need to either walk more deliberately or learn to take a few hits.  I only have carried gloves when I expect some sharp rock scrambling or rappelling.  Maybe if I knew I was going to try to force my way up some catclaw filled wash, which I avoid like the plague.  But then I don't mind a few encounters with some thorns.

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Homer Wilson

• Diamondback
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 09:53:13 PM »
For me though, the best clothes for hiking in desert weather are also terrible if you have to go offtrail in the desert and encounter lech, catclaw, etc.

I am confused. Are you saying the best clothes for desert hiking is something other than long sleeves and pants unless you go off trail?

Nope,  but I end up wearing thicker, more durable clothes than normal if I know I'm going to be pushing through brush. 

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 11:01:15 PM »

Nope,  but I end up wearing thicker, more durable clothes than normal if I know I'm going to be pushing through brush.

Okay, thanks.

As for your girlfriend's reaction to you covering up, she might find this article from Las Vegas could change her mind. Not to mention preventing premature wrinkling of skin even without the cancer risk.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/apr/23/savvy-desert-dwellers-guide-to-sun-protection/

Again, the perspective is from living and working in the desert, not passing through on vacation in shorts, tank tops, flip flops and no hat (but the tourists should heed it as well). Keep in mind when reading this, almost all of Big Bend is at a higher elevation than Las Vegas and thus more susceptible to UV radiation due to thinner air.

For a photo tour of skin issues you'd rather avoid from sun exposure, check out

http://www.onhealth.com/content/1/sun_damaged_skin

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 02:10:13 AM »

You fellas need to either walk more deliberately or learn to take a few hits.  I only have carried gloves when I expect some sharp rock scrambling or rappelling.  Maybe if I knew I was going to try to force my way up some catclaw filled wash, which I avoid like the plague.  But then I don't mind a few encounters with some thorns.

Even gloves do not keep you from taking all the hits.  My clothes are always dotted with blood.

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 12:44:32 PM »
There are some members of this board (who shall remain nameless) that don't even need clothes when they go out in Big Bend.
- Big Bend Google Earth Project - UPDATE! (12/27/16) - Project has moved servers, please re-download.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 01:40:42 PM »
There are some members of this board (who shall remain nameless) that don't even need clothes when they go out in Big Bend.

"Burning Man" takes on a whole new meaning.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 01:48:25 PM »

Colin Fletcher said he "Walked Through Time" at the Grand Canyon sans clothes. 

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2017 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!