Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Is a tent a false sense of security? Tents vs tarps vs hammocks

• 28 Replies

Offline sleepy

• Black Bear
  • i'm not a terrorist
Re: Is a tent a false sense of security? Tents vs tarps vs hammocks
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 08:45:53 PM »
i love love sleeping under the stars with nothing between them and me.  However, it took only one night of being completely chewed by biting insects to confirm my preference for 21st century lightweight free standing mesh enclosure optional fly tent technology.
It's never too late to be what you might have been-Geroge Elliot

Offline Terlingua50337

• Diamondback
  • West Texas road trip? Get in......... I'll drive!
    • Leeds Fine Western Art Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 08:03:35 AM »
I truck camp alot. Pretty much when I get tired of driving all I need is a level piece of ground. I can be in the sack in about 10 minutes. Depending on the time of year I'll sleep sans tent. The sides of the bed makes a good windbreak too. This particular time I was in BBRSP.

Offline dkerr24

• Mountain Lion
  • The worst day hiking > the best day in a cubicle.
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 08:14:49 AM »
I know by the end of a day of hiking, I am usually cussing the extra 4.5lbs of tent I carry, but I do appreciate the extra weight when it comes to evening insects.  I would have been ate alive in GUMO back in May '08 had I not been inside a tent.  It was eerily calm there at night, and the mosquitos and gnats were out in armies.

Offline leigh

• Coyote
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 07:38:44 AM »
Thanks everyone,
The more I research the more I'm considering a hammock for the 98% of the time I will go out and have trees, and a small ultralight screened shelter with opt. tarp for desert. I have been having lots of fun this week building a spreadsheet with the ultimate backpacking dream gear:)
I just discovered the hammock forum and it's kinda like when I discovered BBC,tooooo coool!
leigh

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 11:07:26 PM »
Thanks everyone,
The more I research the more I'm considering a hammock for the 98% of the time I will go out and have trees, and a small ultralight screened shelter with opt. tarp for desert. I have been having lots of fun this week building a spreadsheet with the ultimate backpacking dream gear:)
I just discovered the hammock forum and it's kinda like when I discovered BBC,tooooo coool!
leigh

If you haven't already discovered Sgt. Rock, he's worth a read. Avid hammock user.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 07:08:55 PM »
what is the stink bug cousin that is endemic to west texas? active in summer , does something nasty in humans eye lids. that would make a tent worth having.

Offline ambersdad

• Diamondback
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 05:22:41 AM »
As someone that camps in a wildlife refuge, sleeping in a tent gives "some" comfort when bison move through the campsite in the middle of the night.  :icon_wink:

Having decent gear is nice, but wildlife photography is knowing your subject and getting lucky, and I love getting lucky.
https://www.facebook.com/randy.jones.33234
http://randyswildlifeandnaturephotography.com/

Offline Traces of Texas

• Jack Rabbit
    • See My Traces of Texas
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 09:49:14 AM »
Once I was in my tent at Grapevine Hills # 4 when I woke up in the middle of the night. I felt something crawling on my chest. I very gently reached out, grabbed my flashlight, and shined it on myself.

Scorpion!

I've been stung by them a few times before but, still, I felt a massive surge of adrenaline. It was all I could do to remain calm.

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas, it is the garden spot of the world. The best land & best prospects for health I ever saw is here, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."

-- Crockett's last letter, to his children

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 02:44:59 PM »
I've got a bug bivy that's great for sleeping out, a truck tent, and hammock. Each one is good in it's own right. I have a tent too but I haven't seen it in a while.

My preference is the hammock, then bug bivy (for ultralight hiking), then truck tent.

Offline desertflwr

• Coyote
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 06:10:40 AM »
The western conenose beetle?  Nasty, nasty things.  One of the worst creatures we have in the Big Bend IMO.  But they only hang out where humans or other warm-blooded mammals usually sleep.  Before we lived here, and would come out to the Big Bend for vacation to our cabin 3-4 times a year, we didn't have them then.  Now that we live here its a constant battle trying to keep them out of the house in the warm months.  Some people out here put a mosquito net over their beds to keep from getting bit.  They can carry disease.  I hate them.   

what is the stink bug cousin that is endemic to west texas? active in summer , does something nasty in humans eye lids. that would make a tent worth having.
...in the wild places man is an unwelcome guest but its here that I'm found and here I feel blessed...

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 09:13:23 AM »
The western conenose beetle?  Nasty, nasty things.  One of the worst creatures we have in the Big Bend IMO.  But they only hang out where humans or other warm-blooded mammals usually sleep.  Before we lived here, and would come out to the Big Bend for vacation to our cabin 3-4 times a year, we didn't have them then.  Now that we live here its a constant battle trying to keep them out of the house in the warm months.  Some people out here put a mosquito net over their beds to keep from getting bit.  They can carry disease.  I hate them.   

For more info, see The Conenose Bug topic.

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »
You could always hang your tent in the Hyatt. :rolling: :rolling:
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

Offline sandersmr

• Maggie
  • Roadrunner
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2010, 04:44:41 PM »
Just came back from a week+ camping in CO - the kids that were with us slept outside most nights.  All of us slept out the last night.  But the night that it poured rain, I was glad for my little Swiss Gear.  It only dripped in a couple of spots and I was basically dry.  Others weren't so lucky, including the kids.
Six years between trips - way too long.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!