Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Looking to buy new Hiking socks

• 14 Replies

Offline Don H

• Diamondback
Looking to buy new Hiking socks
« on: August 03, 2016, 03:02:25 PM »
Hey all, looking for some recommendations on some new hiking socks.  My old one's are about wore out - had a few pairs for several years and were very pleased with them but they appear to be discontinued (Lorpen Coolmax).  Primarily hike/backpack in the warmer months in BB and New Mexico Mts.  Looking for comfort, durability and dryness.
"Rugged isolation in a Jeep with the top down, doors off, sweaty, dusty, listening to your flavor of tunes, immersed in the most beautiful and beguiling desert mountains in all of the Southwest, the Sierra Quemada. Nothing short of spiritual cleansing. " D. Locke

Offline strawhouse

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Looking to buy new Hiking socks
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 05:49:06 PM »
I like the Smart Wool socks and have used them without issue at BB for years.  That being said, there is a lot of personal preference in something like this (your feet may vary).

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 06:20:41 PM »
Ditto on the Smart Wool.  Eddie Bauer also has a compression sock (for lack of a better term) that I really like.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 06:53:37 PM »
I either wear my SmartWool  hiking socks with Wigwam Coolmax liners or these really thick REI  Merino Wool Expedition Socks. The REI ones are actually cheaper than their SmartWool counterparts.  Merino wool is really nice stuff.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 06:55:46 PM »
I have been using smart wool and REI merino wool for years.  There are a lot of people who rave about Darn Tough socks and worth every penny, I have not tried them but have friends who say the same

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Demon Deacon

• Roadrunner
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
Currently loving the Eddie Bauer CoolMax socks for all seasons.
http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/men--39-s-trail-coolmax-reg--crew-socks/71404010/_/A-ebSku_0144010500__71404010_catalog10002_en__US?showProducts=&backToCat=Socks&previousPage=LNAV&tab=men&color=100
I have some of the Darn Tough ones that I thought were great too until trying the Eddie Bauer ones. The Darn Tough would probably be better cooler weather socks as they don't breathe quite as nicely as the Eddie Bauer ones for warmer months.

I've worn both all through Big Bend and never regretted either of them.

Offline Geezer

• Black Bear
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 10:21:31 PM »
So much of the sock question depends on what your feet are like and how well your boots or whatever fit them. My doctor once told me that everybody's feet are different. But my feet are really weird, very narrow (AA width) and bony. Even with a strong footbed, my boots are too wide and the bony projections collect blisters. I deal with this by using the REI expedition weight wool socks previously mentioned. They are thick enough to help with the width issue and help with blisters too. That said, I always tape my heels before a lengthy backpacking expedition.

I envy people who have strong, wide feet and can get by with low-quarter trail shoes and thin socks. If I used those, my feet would slide forward in the shoe and I'd have black toenails in a couple days. With reasonably rigid boots I can strap my feet in the back of the boot and they don't slide forward going downhill.

The point is, it's difficult to say what might be the best socks for you without knowing a lot more.

Geezer

Offline Don H

• Diamondback
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 02:49:26 PM »
Hey all, thanks for all the responses!  I'm gonna look into the Eddie Bauer's for sure and will start looking more into the merino wool socks.  I've always has a mental block that associated wool with being hot. 
"Rugged isolation in a Jeep with the top down, doors off, sweaty, dusty, listening to your flavor of tunes, immersed in the most beautiful and beguiling desert mountains in all of the Southwest, the Sierra Quemada. Nothing short of spiritual cleansing. " D. Locke

Offline Geezer

• Black Bear
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 10:15:45 PM »
Remember that men's summer suits are made of ultra-light weight wool.

Geezer

Offline venchka

• Roadrunner
    • My LUG Gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 05:32:02 PM »
Darn Tough. Mostly merino wool. No sock is 100% wool. Guaranteed forever. Made in Vermont. Available in several weights and lengths. I'm partial to the lightest and shortest for hiking and cycling. REI stocks them if you have one handy.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
Wayne
“Leave me alone. I know what I'm doing. K. R.”

Offline smithmj01

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 11:07:13 PM »
I bought these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000UZDAZC/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only used them is one BB trip, but working in law enforcement and security, I use them almost daily and love them. They dry fast and keep my feet nice and dry. Super comfortable.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Don H

• Diamondback
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 01:55:38 PM »
Just wanted to revisit this thread,  a while back I discovered People Socks and like them very much.  They're a good quality merino wool sock made in America and are about half the price of other merino wool socks, Smartwool, Wigwam, etc.  They're very durable - I wear a pair everyday with my work boots (Asolo) and have day hiked in them many times.  Available at Amazon.  Again, I highly recommend them.

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 06:38:38 PM »
I either wear my SmartWool  hiking socks with Wigwam Coolmax liners or these really thick REI  Merino Wool Expedition Socks. The REI ones are actually cheaper than their SmartWool counterparts.  Merino wool is really nice stuff.
X2. One of the nice things about moving to San Antonio is how much bigger my REI dividend is each year

Sent from my SM-G925T using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Everything is in walking distance if you have enough time.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• Grin and...well, you know the rest.
  • Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 01:47:51 PM »
Late to the party here, but I want to add my 2 cents. Yes, I like and use Smartwool and REI Merino wool socks as my main sock. The others recommended here sound appealing. Thanks for the heads-up. But the real secret to my footwear, I believe, is the use of Injinji toe-socks as liners. I use low-cut crews and since adopting them about ten years ago, I've had ZERO trail blisters and ZERO athlete's foot. I usually bring two sets of socks and change them out every 2-4 days or whenever I reach an ample water source from which I can draw enough to wash them, wring them out, and hang them from the back of my pack to dry until needed again. And when I have my socks off, I rub my feet down with a very small amount of isopropyl alcohol or hand sanitizer.  With two sets of interchangeable Injinji's, I can often get by with only one set of main outer socks on a week-long trip.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Schroeder

• Coyote
    • Schroederworks
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 06:57:50 PM »
I'll just throw out that I found people socks to be a more affordable replacement to my smart wool and rei merino socks. Last trip was 55 miles and my feet were just fine.
4pairs Merino Wool Socks 4 X Heather Brown Large
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:45:19 AM by RichardM »
Scott

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2017 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!