Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Mag Light Upgrades

• 30 Replies

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
Mag Light Upgrades
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 02:34:10 PM »
You sure do like Parent, considering he brushed you off.  

I'm not sure I want the LED upgrade for my big mag light.  I only use that thing for spotlighting and that's not what and LED is good at.  I just want to upgrade my another mini-mag to LED upgrade kit so I can have better lighting in my tent and around camp.
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Mag Light Upgrades
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2006, 06:05:05 PM »
Quote from: "01ACRViper"

this is my new favorite piece of lighting equipment  :lol: 70 hrs @ full power, 200 hrs @ lowest, and runs on 3 AAA batteries. weighs 3.2 oz and has done everything i need it to, all for $20 :D my only complaint is its lack of long range, even medium range lighting. but i'm easilly spooked when hiking at night  :oops:  so that just might be a problem for me. tents are a breeze to set up, aim the right right where your next step will be, read a map in a car without disturbing the driver, genious i tell ya  :twisted:

i'm sorry but I bought one of those overpriced black diamonds...what are they smoking charging 30 bucks for that?  I bought a cheap 15 dollar led headlamp at cabelas that works as well or better and doesn't break like that black diamond did!

sorry, i just get really steamed when i spend more money on something and except it to last longer than a cheapy...you don't always get what you pay for!  :x

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
Mag Light Upgrades
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2006, 07:11:37 PM »
mine was $15 on campmor, and it's been dropped in water and off a 10 foot ledge, hopefully it will hold up  :(

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Mag Light Upgrades
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2006, 07:38:30 PM »
Quote from: "01ACRViper"
mine was $15 on campmor, and it's been dropped in water and off a 10 foot ledge, hopefully it will hold up  :(

15? well, i might pay 15 for it....i bought that model about 2 or 3 years ago, it was 30 bucks then.  :x

Offline Medic

• Roadrunner
Mag Light Upgrades
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 08:09:49 AM »

I've been using one of these babies from Rayovac for over a year now and have nothing but good things to say about it. 2 red LEDs, 1 white LED and a krypton light that has pretty good range.

The red LEDs are great for sitting outside your tent and reading without screwing up your night vision.

Comes with a lifetime warranty and I've seen them on the web for less than 10 bucks. Still using the original batteries, too.
Remember, folks, it's 100 miles to the closest hospital.

Offline TexasGirl

• Black Bear
Mag Light Upgrades
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2006, 08:00:24 PM »
I found an LED-upgrade kit for the AA Mini Maglite at WalMart the other day...$4.97...no shipping...just gotta get out of the store.
As a matter of fact, I _do_ have an opinion on that....

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Great Little Headlamp
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006, 08:36:11 PM »
I know it's Rayovac  but this is a great little headlamp that you can find at either Home Depo or Lowes, I forget.  REI had them last time I was in there. I've used it for the last several years with good result.  $15.  Choice of red, white LEDs or incadecent.  I found it on the web:

http://store.sundancesolar.com/ra3ledhewiba.html

Al

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
P.S.
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2006, 10:13:47 PM »
The red LED is great if you want to preserve your night vision.  You might not even get chewed out if you are wandering around McDonald's Observatory at night!

Al

Offline PyramidBlaster

• Coyote
  • 3AM Eternal...
Light Upgrades
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 01:32:21 PM »
Seriously, after my first trip  to the 'Bend in '97, when the first LED lights were coming out, We bought some--- and I was totally SOLD--and carry almost nothing else now(save a massive q-beam style lamp)...they make great video lights too....

They're starting to make 5-watt LED replacement bulbs--they're expensive, but let me tell you...I have a 3-Watt Brinkmann light I bought for $30, and it's as bright and compact as any tactical light for three times the price...AND it runs on AAA's!

For replacement bulbs and other LED coolness...check out www.theledlight.com --this guy has been around since the beginning!
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."-H.P. Lovecraft

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
Mag Light Upgrades
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 05:12:48 PM »
I use the princeton tec, attitude, small plenty of light. I'm with Big Bend Hiker, still like sound of coleman, even though it will draw bugs from Marathon.  Great light never had any problem and Coleman will most likely provide parts for my kids grandkids.  8) Undertaker
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
Mag Light Upgrades
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2006, 05:24:18 PM »
I have a bunch of LEDs.  My latest acquisition is the Petzl Tikka XP:

It is by far my favorite headlamp.  It has a normal brightness level that is useful for most situations.  Then there is a superbright mode that can only be used for 20 seconds at a time (to prevent overheating).  The superbright mode is useful for when you need to see something far away: you hear a noise in the bushes, your kid is doing something across camp, etc.
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
Mag Light Upgrades
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2006, 07:06:41 PM »
I too am completely sold on LEDs for flashlights. For my birthday, I treated myself to a new 2 C cell Mag Lite with a 3 watt LED. SWEET!! NIce size...not too big...not too small...Just right! The light is still focusable and is brighter, more even and whiter than the regular lamp. Wasn't cheap...just over $30USD for the flashlight + LED...but I didn't shop around for a deal. I now have about 8 or 9 LED flashlights that I've accumulated over the last two years. The first ones were kinda wimpy but the newest ones are amazingly bright. Filament bulbs are soon to be a thing of the past. Sorry Thomas Edison!  :wink:
  Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Mag Light Upgrades
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2006, 08:21:25 PM »
Just a general recommendation on LEDs.  Get the one's that have a rated wattage not the ones that have a bunch of unrated LEDs.  You'll should be happy with the former and perhaps not with the latter.

Al

Offline Vince T

• Black Bear
Mag Light Upgrades
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2006, 09:02:40 PM »
Randell-
You bought the one I have been looking at getting.
Glad to hear you like it.

Undertaker...I just bought a new dual fuel Coleman...took it out to the park in June...did a good job of illumating our fold up poker table for our late night games...but you are right...I think we pulled some Kansas bugs in.

Vince

chisos_muse

Mag Light Upgrades
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2006, 09:31:37 PM »
I just find it incredible that there are two full pages of posts with the heading of "Mag Lite Upgrades" :lol:

I DO need to buy one though! 8)

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!