Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Moon Trail Backcountry Equipment

• 30 Replies

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
Moon Trail Backcountry Equipment
« on: November 11, 2008, 07:07:26 PM »
Anyone familiar with this store in San Antonio?

http://www.moontrail.com/home.php

I ran across them today while doing some looking around on line. Pretty good list of available equipment and manufacturers on line but I was a little surprised to discover that they have a store in San Antonio. It's over on Bandera Road not too far from where I work so I'll take a trip over there tomorrow or Thursday to check them out. It would be nice to have another "camping" store to frequent here in SA.

Just curious if anyone knew anything about them.
  Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional.

Offline Joe

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Big Bender since 1972
Re: Moon Trail Backcountry Equipment
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 07:14:02 PM »
Not familiar with them - let us know what you find.
The real desert is a land which reveals its true character only to those who come with courage, tolerance and understanding. - Randall Henderson

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/el-saloacuten/joe-a-memorial/

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 07:20:58 PM »
Will do!
Welcome back!!  :eusa_dance:
   Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing up is optional.

chisos_muse

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:55:41 PM »
Not familiar with them - let us know what you find.

Ditto! Let us know, Bill!  :icon_biggrin:

BigBendHiker

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:04:41 PM »
Thanks, SABill!

BBH

Offline Joe

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Big Bender since 1972
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 09:48:59 PM »
The real desert is a land which reveals its true character only to those who come with courage, tolerance and understanding. - Randall Henderson

rauburg

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 06:29:51 AM »
I stumbled across this site the other day too. I was looking at tents and the thing I really like is that they had addtional pictures of their own of many of the tents. Instead of using manufacturers pictures like so many sites do, Moon Trail has gone to the trouble to set up tents and show exterior and interior pictures with a model for reference. They tell you the model's height for extra help.

I have not ordered from them but I will give them strong consideration. They had lots of items on sale and the prices looked good.

http://www.moontrail.com/home.php

I hope that they are a good company and that they do well.

Randy

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 11:24:50 AM »
Bill, they are a top notch place.

I've been to their store a couple of times.  It is inside Bandera Road off of 410, in an office park.

I think they do mostly a mail order business, but they also have a neat showroom, and are very helpful.

"No, that did not happen to me.  You have me confused with someone else."

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 07:01:29 PM »
Thanks BC1C!
I was going to go by at lunch today but wasn't able to. Might be this weekend before I can go. Glad to hear that they are worth checking out. Lot's of stuff on the web site...will be interesting to see what they have in the store.
  Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing up is optional.

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 08:10:14 PM »
I made it to Moon Trail's "store" today. It's really just a little place in an industrial park with some basics on the walls and a few clothes on racks. I spent a few minutes talking with the very nice young man who greeted me when I entered and he explained what I already knew; most of their business is via the web but they can get anything out of the warehouse if you want it there. He mentioned that they can get any tent they have out and assemble it in the store if you want to see it up close and personal. I asked about shopping on line and then picking stuff up there instead of waiting for it to be mailed and he said that's no problem. I think I'll do my shopping with them that way since they are pretty close to where I work. Always, nice to give some business to the local outfits if possible. I agree with Randy, I hope they do well!
  Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing up is optional.

Offline Joe

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Big Bender since 1972
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 09:17:51 PM »
Thanks for the report, Bill. Last month I went to the TPWD Expo in Austin, and REI had a booth there. The rep told me that REI is thinking about opening a store in San Antonio...someday.  :icon_frown:

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 09:49:06 PM »
I've been waiting so long for that to happen that I've given up Joe!  :icon_cry: There used to be a couple of small camping oriented store in SA but one by one they died off. We have Whole Earth Provision now and they seem to be solid. I enjoy shopping there. With Moon Trail, we have access to some stuff not carried by REI or WEP. I for one would love to have an REI here. I always thought REI could do well in SA if they located in the right place. Maybe they never found the "right" place to put a store.
  Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing up is optional.

Offline Burn Ban

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 10:16:24 PM »
yeah, isn't that weird?...no rei in s.a.; yet there are three in austin.

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 06:46:53 AM »
Anyone know about Good Sports off I-10 and De Zavala Rd.? I need a place to pick up some MSR gas canisters on my way to the park from the SA airport and this looked like it was right on the way.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 07:00:45 AM »
Good Sports has good stuff mule ears. Best to call them and see if they have MSR fuel. They probably do.
  Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing up is optional.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!