Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Must-Have Item(s)?

• 14 Replies

Offline BIBE FNG

• Roadrunner
Must-Have Item(s)?
« on: October 27, 2006, 10:33:54 AM »
Will be making my first trip out there in November with my brother, Burn Ban, and another friend.

I've done car camping for most of my life and am familiar with the obvious items.

However, what is/are the one (or more) item(s) that you wished you would have had your first few times out there and now can't live without?

Also, is there anything you thought would be absolutely vital but proved worthless?

Thanks.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Must-Have Item(s)?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 10:52:51 AM »
Quote from: "BIBE FNG"
Will be making my first trip out there in November with my brother, Burn Ban, and another friend.

I've done car camping for most of my life and am familiar with the obvious items.

However, what is/are the one (or more) item(s) that you wished you would have had your first few times out there and now can't live without?

Also, is there anything you thought would be absolutely vital but proved worthless?

Thanks.

My first trip was when I was three, so it doesn't really count.  When I went back at the age of 26, I could really have used some good hiking boots.  I did the South Rim hike in a pair of high top basketball shoes with extra padded inserts.  I discovered that not having Vibram soles really let all those pointy rocks poke the bottoms of my feet mercilessly.  I had checked the local stores beforehand for boots but couldn't find any that fit within my price range.  Before my next trip, I upped my price range. :)

At the end of my first trip, I bought a good hiking staff to use on future trips.  It really helps on the steep trails, especially coming down the Pinnacles Trail.

A good camera is a definite plus.  My first few trips I made do with disposables or borrowed my Mom's.  A digital camera gives you so much more freedom from worrying about how many shots you can take.

Lemming_of_the_BDA

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 01:27:42 PM »

Thanks.

CD player.

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
Must-Have Item(s)?
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 02:48:19 PM »
I'm with Lemming on that -- CD players and any other form of modern entertainment are worthless, even if you use them. Enjoy the breezes and the birds and the other sounds and sights of nature. Another: reading materials unrelated to the trip (Why take my attention away from where I am?).

Essentials -- walking stick, as Richard said; comfy camp chair and table; slip on camp shoes; Scotch; plastic bags of various sizes; binoculars; pen and paper; lightweight, water-resistent long pants that zip off into shorts; good tweezers to remove cacti souvenirs; Scotch; fleece blanket, comfy pillow, and an air mattress (preferrably with a pump); camera gear, natch; travel pack of baby wipes; box of animal cookies; and ice.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline okiehiker

• Black Bear
  • cryptantha crassipses
Must haves...
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 03:10:44 PM »
http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/index.php?topic=955.0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

This link is to the page that has one of my stories about things people bring and forget on trips.  The whole thread is a good one on this subject.
Funny... I have a story about that...

Offline Burn Ban

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 03:22:42 PM »

Thanks.

answer:  a brother

Offline okiehiker

• Black Bear
  • cryptantha crassipses
lol...
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 03:58:39 PM »
Wonderful reply burn... but my brother has always been an asset on trips, when I can get him to go!
Funny... I have a story about that...

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
Must-Have Item(s)?
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 04:20:34 PM »
I'm thinking Blue Bird Wonder Lodge or Newell Motor Coach with white coated black bow tied waiter, cold beer, good scotch, good food and a lawn chair. :lol:  :lol: Not sure if scotch and beer fall under hydrate hydtate hydrate.
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

Offline BIBE FNG

• Roadrunner
Must-Have Item(s)?
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 04:40:24 PM »
Wonderful posts - except for Burn, but I should have seen that coming.

A lot of scotch drinkers, I see - I'll have to bring my father-in-law sometime.  He bleeds Aggie maroon and Glenlivet.

As I haven't hiked in many years, a walking stick is starting to sound better and better.

Thanks, and keep 'em coming.

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
Must-Have Item(s)?
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 05:06:15 PM »
I still love to hike, on Bright Angel Trail, when an 80 something older lady with a 60lb pack passes me going up hill (by the way whenever you hike why is any direction up hill?) and says "are you ok?" just because my nail beds and lips are blue, my face is beet red, the reply is always "yes madam, I am fine", I resolve, even if I die making this hike it will be after I reach the top of the hill. Never quit, never give up, savor life, fun, family and friends. Death is God's way of telling you to slow down, you should of stopped and smelled the roses dummie.  :lol:  :lol:  :shock:
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

Offline Burn Ban

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
Must-Have Item(s)?
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 10:53:27 PM »
Quote from: "Undertaker"
Never quit, never give up, savor life, fun, family and friends. Death is God's way of telling you to slow down, you should of stopped and smelled the roses dummie.  :lol:  :lol:  :shock:

"lt's better to go like this than in some senseless tragedy.  l mean, l'd rather burn in at 200 miles an hour and have some laughs...than to eat it in a car accident. l mean, that's a really dumb way to go."

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 09:23:55 AM »

Thanks.

how 'bout your brother's brother-in-law?  8)

Offline Burn Ban

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 03:28:04 PM »
Quote from: "David Locke"

Thanks.

how 'bout your brother's brother-in-law?  8)

yeah, do you wanna go?  we can talk sunday afternoon.

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
Must-Have Item(s)?
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 08:26:51 AM »
Desert gators are something I have found to be very useful in Big Bend. They keep the dust, dirt, and debris from getting into your boots.

SHANEA

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 09:11:14 AM »
now can't live without?  Also, is there anything you thought would be absolutely vital but proved worthless?

Can't live w/o?  R2D2 camping trailer.  :lol:  and ten tons of gear.  All the comforts of home sans the TV and entertainment system. [-X

Can't live w/o?  - H2O Bladders of the 3 liter variety.

Worthless?   Everything is vital!.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!