Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Oddball, esoteric gear

• 25 Replies

Offline brave6

• Coyote
Re: Oddball, esoteric gear
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 10:18:10 AM »
"Here, here" on tweezers.  Also have found wet wipes a necessity.  And a night-time-so-I-can-sleep-DEEP medicine.  

The oddest thing for me is not 'stuff', but tradition.  The same six guys have been taking a trip to the Bend since Easter of 1997.  This has happened every year except 1998.  In that time we've developed the following 'habits':
-the first dinner we have hamburgers
-the first full day of camping is what we call "Bend Free Day".  This involves being able to go and do what we want.  Or nothing at all.
-the second night's dinner was tacos for a stretch, but last year we started stacked, red chile "Bendchiladas".  I'll take four, topped with a fried egg please.
-the last full day of camping the 6 of us agree on a hike or objective and do this together.  We've rappelled Talley Mntn., done Casa Grande, ascended into the 'bowl' of the Alto Relex for lunch and naps, and I can't remember what else.  Last year we cheated a bit, doing Capote Falls on the last day... not a  exactly a park hike.
-the last night's dinner consists of two fillets and four 1 lb. ribeyes hauled in from Amarillo.  
-the last two night's dinners are followed by dutch oven peach cobbler.
-we're 35 to 36 years old lawyers, teachers, and principals and yet we have a "Camper of the Year" each year.  We make nominations over steak, with reasons why, and then vote the next morning as we break camp.
-nightly trips to the hot spring for cigars... this is done late so as to avoid sharing space.
-last meal... depending on where we exit the Bend we take a last meal together in either Marfa, Marathon, or Fort Stockton before going our separate ways.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:21:42 AM by brave6 »

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 04:11:54 PM »
"Here, here" on tweezers.  Also have found wet wipes a necessity.  And a night-time-so-I-can-sleep-DEEP medicine.  

The oddest thing for me is not 'stuff', but tradition.  The same six guys have been taking a trip to the Bend since Easter of 1997.  This has happened every year except 1998.  In that time we've developed the following 'habits':
-the first dinner we have hamburgers
-the first full day of camping is what we call "Bend Free Day".  This involves being able to go and do what we want.  Or nothing at all.
-the second night's dinner was tacos for a stretch, but last year we started stacked, red chile "Bendchiladas".  I'll take four, topped with a fried egg please.
-the last full day of camping the 6 of us agree on a hike or objective and do this together.  We've rappelled Talley Mntn., done Casa Grande, ascended into the 'bowl' of the Alto Relex for lunch and naps, and I can't remember what else.  Last year we cheated a bit, doing Capote Falls on the last day... not a  exactly a park hike.
-the last night's dinner consists of two fillets and four 1 lb. ribeyes hauled in from Amarillo.  
-the last two night's dinners are followed by dutch oven peach cobbler.
-we're 35 to 36 years old lawyers, teachers, and principals and yet we have a "Camper of the Year" each year.  We make nominations over steak, with reasons why, and then vote the next morning as we break camp.
-nightly trips to the hot spring for cigars... this is done late so as to avoid sharing space.
-last meal... depending on where we exit the Bend we take a last meal together in either Marfa, Marathon, or Fort Stockton before going our separate ways.

When are you going next?  I want to camp close enough to "happen by" around dinner time!  :eusa_whistle:

I like the sound of your traditions.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Alto Relex

• Roadrunner
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 01:19:11 AM »
Bendchiladas sounds great...recipe?

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 08:01:54 AM »
Bendchiladas sounds great...recipe?

You can Post it here , so we won't loose it..... :eusa_drool:
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline mwksrx

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 09:47:50 AM »
Brave6:   Capote Falls is on private land and not open to the public.  How did you get permission? 

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 02:04:17 PM »
I am 57 and a lifetime resident of the Big Bend area.  I ranched for many years and still enjoy visitor's privileges on several large private ranches.

Brave6:Capote Falls is on private land and not open to the public. How did you get permission?

It would seem that you are not the only one with visitor's privileges. :icon_lol: Privileges have got to be the best of all esoteric gear.

seek and ye too shall find answer link

I wish I could get me some of those privileges. :eusa_boohoo:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:08:22 PM by fartymarty »
Fort Worth

Offline mwksrx

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 09:07:31 PM »
That's great.  I too am 57, ranched for many years.  Just not in that area.  Nothing like knowing the owners. 

Offline MacEntyre

• Kangaroo Rat
    • Molly Mac Packs
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 07:52:30 AM »
I guess our Prairie Travois hammock stand could be called oddball or esoteric gear... here it is set up at Glenn Spring 2 camp site.

- MacEntyre
  rides airhead & thumper, sleeps in hammock

Offline dkerr24

• Mountain Lion
  • The worst day hiking > the best day in a cubicle.
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 08:23:17 AM »
Pretty cool hammock setup... did you get the poles there using the cycle?  :)

Offline MacEntyre

• Kangaroo Rat
    • Molly Mac Packs
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 12:05:43 PM »
...did you get the poles there using the cycle?  :)
We put them on top of the truck... the bike went on a hitch carrier.
- MacEntyre
  rides airhead & thumper, sleeps in hammock

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
  • I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back.
    • Mother Nature Framed
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 04:12:04 PM »
I carry a retractable tape measure. One of those small ones, like the ones they give out at bank lobbies or automotive shops during promotions or whatever. I keep that on hand to measure "the big one" whenever that time comes when I've seen the biggest snake/spider/creature of whatever sort in the future. Of course I may need to measure after the fact based on careful analysis of the pics I took of said critter, but that is another story.

The other potentially useful things I carry in my pack at all times now would be moleskin, a sturdy bundle of rope, and a $.99 raincoat. The things I often carry but sometimes forget and WISH I didn't forget are Tylenol, an extra power bar, and believe it or not sometimes I even forget to pack a flashlight.

Random things found in my pack depending on where I'm headed may include a small LL Bean remote control activated lantern, laser pointers, and a variety of video and/or camera equipment. Nothing I hate more than seeing something so cool that people don't even believe it. I've gotta be able to document it! :)
Get busy living, or get busy dying.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!