Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Parasols- Umbrellas in the desert

• 10 Replies

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
Parasols- Umbrellas in the desert
« on: August 09, 2019, 05:39:36 PM »
The Rescue Ranger brought a sun umbrella, among other things.  Does anyone hike with a parasol as part of their normal Big Bend gear?  Like Robinson Crusoe?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:44:12 AM by mule ears »
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline miatarchy04

• Jack Rabbit
Re: Parasols
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 10:09:05 AM »
The Rescue Ranger brought a sun umbrella, among other things.  Does anyone hike with a parasol as part of their normal Big Bend gear?  Like Robinson Crusoe?

I probably wouldn't do so now, but my first overnight in the Chisos I carried a Six Moon Designs umbrella
https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collections/umbrellas
I ended up using it because it rained as I walked out from Laguna Meadows back to the Basin. It worked and I stayed dry.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 10:24:05 AM »

I probably wouldn't do so now, but my first overnight in the Chisos I carried a Six Moon Designs umbrella
I ended up using it because it rained as I walked out from Laguna Meadows back to the Basin. It worked and I stayed dry.
I recently got a very similar one, but have only tried it out once. In the noon day sun, it shades you completely. However on a bright reflective surface, you still need to cover up to keep from getting toasted from below. Subjectively speaking, I was able to stay out probably twice as long before retreating for the AC!

==> Sent from Flash's phone

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 05:49:20 PM »
Luwint Double Layer Umbrella Hat Headwear 36'' Diameter Oversized Folding Adjustable Hands Free UV Wind Rain Protection - Fishing Gardening in Outdoor Recreation (Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071R1QDSV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5l0tDb453B5S5

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 07:34:36 PM »
I always hike with an umbrella. For storms, not sun protection. And I am careful to buy one with a fiberglass or polycarbonate mechanism -- completely non conductive.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline Lissa

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 08:16:43 PM »

I recently got a very similar one, but have only tried it out once. In the noon day sun, it shades you completely. However on a bright reflective surface, you still need to cover up to keep from getting toasted from below. Subjectively speaking, I was able to stay out probably twice as long before retreating for the AC!

Flash - so that sounds like it could be worth it? Have a Grand Canyon trip coming up and whether to bring an umbrella is high on my debate list.  Iíve only hiked with it once but in high alpine / snow conditions, not desert.  Am leaning towards bringing it to see if I like it, and for emergency shade if someone in the group gets in trouble.

Offline Cookie

• Golden Eagle
  • Diamondback
  • "you never slow down, you never grow old" T.P.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 08:53:13 AM »
Luwint Double Layer Umbrella Hat Headwear 36'' Diameter Oversized Folding Adjustable Hands Free UV Wind Rain Protection - Fishing Gardening in Outdoor Recreation (Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071R1QDSV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5l0tDb453B5S5

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Thanks for the link Casa Grande!! Just ordered a pair for me and ElHombre- now we are ready for the summer OML!!!

~Cookie

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 09:49:12 AM »

Flash - so that sounds like it could be worth it? Have a Grand Canyon trip coming up and whether to bring an umbrella is high on my debate list.  Iíve only hiked with it once but in high alpine / snow conditions, not desert.  Am leaning towards bringing it to see if I like it, and for emergency shade if someone in the group gets in trouble.
Lissa, the one I have includes a scabbard with a strap and weighs approx. 6 oz. It can be slung over your daypack when not in use and doesn't really get in the way.

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
Re: Parasols- Umbrellas in the desert
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 12:00:33 PM »
I first tried an umbrella on an afternoon cattail falls hike. It was a big improvement over hiking in the sun. Those hiking in the other direction seemed envious. I just don't like hats in the sun, give me a breeze through my few remaining hairs and I'm feeling much cooler. The second time I used an umbrella I wrapped some mylar over it and it worked well except that it made a crinkling noise and I was constantly turning around looking for the imaginary stalking mountain lion on my way to Randall's Overlook.  After that hike I purchased one of these and I take it on most hikes rain or shine. It does take a bit of trial and error to get it right, as we are used to using them for rain and that usually comes from the same direction for most of your walk. The trick is to always keep the point of the umbrella pointed at the sun for maximum shade as the trail twists and turns. If you just prop it on your shoulder and go for a walk it's not going to do a whole lot of good unless it's high noon. The one I have pops open to full size with a press of a button, coming into a brushy area I press the button again and it collapses in diameter with the handle still extended. As I come out of the brushy area I simply push the tip into a rock to reload the spring and press the button again for full opening. Totally a one handed operation.  It could also be used for a quick "make me look bigger" during a predator type animal encounter. This last, I have no experience with, but it seems logical (I hope).
 So yes you could say I'm a big fan of paraso..er umbrella hiking. Like I usually say, stand in the sun in your back yard for 5 minutes on a warm day and then do the same under an umbrella. If it isn't a very noticeable difference for you then forget it. If it is, then try it out on a warm hike.
Fort Worth

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 11:17:31 PM »
I've hiked with an umbrella on sunny days for years. I look ridiculous doing it, and I don't care. It creates a pocket of less hot air around me, and that's what matters. It doesn't help with heat radiating off the desert floor, but it does act like a desert tree creating a little shade.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline gnored

• Kangaroo Rat
  • Find joy in volunteering
    • AnEyeForTexas
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 07:17:52 PM »
I have a sunbrella made in Germany. I use all the time when it's hot. It doesn't completely change your hike in the sun to one in the shade, as the ground has not cooled off as it would in real shade, but reducing the solar heat gain makes it possible to move about in the heat.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!