Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Props to REI

• 40 Replies

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Props to REI
« on: January 26, 2018, 12:27:00 PM »
Late last June (June 28, 2017) I was fitted for a pack purchase by an REI store.  At the recommendation of the fitter, and because the pack felt good in the store, I purchased a large/long Gregory Baltoro 65 (even though I am only 5'9 on my best day),  Taking the pack on the trail for the first time in December, I found the pack to be too long.  There was absolutely no adjustment that would keep the lumbar support up above my bottom.  I contacted REI, and no problem - they will replace an undamaged pack within one year of purchase.   

REI made a life-time fan, and they deserve any good PR this story gives them.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
Re: Props to REI
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 01:32:44 PM »
I went in a couple of years ago to update some of my camping gear.  They've been nothing but outstanding since then.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »
Boo on REI because the closest one is 167 miles away.

Good story though.  I think the best advertisement is word of mouth.  I like gadgets and recently found a device called a "Hero Clip".  It's basically a fancy carabiner with a swivel.  Google hero clip and you'll see it. Cops are gadget loving people, but like teachers, underpaid.  So I contacted the company and offered to spread the word about the clips and in exchange they gave me a "link" to get a discount. I shared it with our SWAT team.  If anyone is interested, message me and I'll give you the link.  I don't work for the company.

Moderator - if this is not allowed, feel free to remove.

Moderator Note: Ok by me. I'll even say everyone from having to Google it:
https://myheroclip.com/products/heroclip
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 03:57:12 PM by RichardM »

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Props to REI
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 12:19:03 AM »
+1 on the REI endorsement.

I've been a co-op member for almost 30 years. During that time, I've returned a ton of gear. Some because it didn't fit, some because it failed, and some because I just didn't like it. Not once have I received any significant push-back. They've taken back old kids' clothes that didn't fit, water filters that clogged, climbing helmets that chafed my forehead, duplicate rain gear after I decided which version I liked best, old worn boots that leaked in the snow, and - most impressively - a four-year-old REI Flash 65 backpack, the hipbelt and packbag of which blew out after I humped 80+ pounds into the Chisos on a family trip where I played Hero Dad, carrying all the water (6 gallons) and most of the food. Occasionally REI will pro-rate the value of the old gear, reducing the refund, but I have no complaints.

I'm not a big fan of REI-brand gear, but I'm deeply grateful for the presence of an REI in my neighborhood in Dallas. I miss the old, larger store in North Dallas, where I could find almost anything, anytime....but that doesn't stop me from being a loyal customer. I've bought a small fortune in gear from REI and i expect to continue the trend.  REI is still the HQ for outdoor recreation.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 09:01:40 AM by House Made of Dawn »
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 06:04:24 AM »
Became a member in 1970, when there was one store in Seattle and it was all mail order (unless you lived near the store).  I will say that a few years ago they tightened up their return policies because folks were really abusing them but they are still pretty liberal.  These days I mostly buy socks, fuel canisters, water bottles and such.

We stand behind everything we sell. If you're not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund within one year of purchase, except for outdoor electronics, which must be returned within 90 days of purchase. Outdoor electronics include activity monitors, GPS-enabled devices, bike trainers, emergency-communication devices, and cameras.

REIís guarantee doesnít cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents.

If your item has a manufacturing defect in its materials or workmanship, you can return it at any time.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline GaryF

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 08:18:13 AM »
I canít match Mule Ears,  but Iíve been an REI member since sometime in the 1980ís, never a complaint. 

They put in a store about 5 miles from us a few years ago, and I wander through every couple of months. They also have an in store bike shop, and just this week a good friend went there asking for help removing a stuck bottom bracket.  It only took them a minute, and they did it for free, where my friends regular bike shop was going to charge a $50 shop fee.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 08:44:22 AM »
I have one in my hometown (Round Rock) and another just down the road in Austin.  A long time member as well, I still have my paper card, which never fails to elicit a response whenever I pull it out of my wallet.  Father's Day last year was very profitable for them..... :dance:

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 09:18:02 AM »
I still have my paper card, which never fails to elicit a response whenever I pull it out of my wallet. 

:icon_lol:  :great:

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 12:33:28 PM »
I still have my paper card, which never fails to elicit a response whenever I pull it out of my wallet. 

Don't have my paper card any longer, but get a similar reaction when I rattle off my 6-digit number.

Okay, without giving away too much information, who has the lowest REI number?

Mine is 27****
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 03:14:10 PM »

Don't have my paper card any longer, but get a similar reaction when I rattle off my 6-digit number.

Mine's a 7-digit number, so I'm already out of the game.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 04:29:20 PM »

Mine is 27****

presidio, I knew you were crusty but you must also be old and crusty.  I say that with the greatest respect.

My 6 digit number starts with 30****.  I think the numbers may even go to 8 digits now and yes they recoil when I pull out my paper card with such a low number.  I keep it right next to my Eagle Scout card but that is yet another discussion.    :)
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 04:31:57 PM »

Mine is 27****

presidio, I knew you were crusty but you must also be old and crusty.  I say that with the greatest respect.

My 6 digit number starts with 30****.  I think the numbers may even go to 8 digits now and yes they recoil when I pull out my paper card with such a low number.  I keep it right next to my Eagle Scout card but that is yet another discussion.    :)

:notworthy:  Off the top of my head, I don't know my number, but it's nowhere near as low as you guys. Respect.

Offline nuggetf5

• Golden Eagle
  • Coyote
  • Currently hiking around Lawrence, KS
    • Mandolin Cafe
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 09:32:17 PM »
Ditto, on their service. Lucky to have one in Kansas City and it's maybe a 40 minute drive. I've returned a few things worn once or twice and never a hesitation. Probably a good decision as much as I spend.

As a rule I'm not crazy about some of the REI brand gear but their current line of medium and heavy wool hiking socks are the bomb. I wear them even when I'm not hiking and they're super comfortable. Best socks I've ever hiked in.
Mandolin Cafe
Since 1995

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 10:07:08 PM »

As a rule I'm not crazy about some of the REI brand gear but their current line of medium and heavy wool hiking socks are the bomb. I wear them even when I'm not hiking and they're super comfortable. Best socks I've ever hiked in.

Thatís good to know. Iím going to have to check those out. Thanks, nuggetf5.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 11:02:47 PM »

Mine is 27****

You might be surprised at the old part  :dance:

Might be  7 digits, might be 8. The REI 2016 Stewardship report says there are 16 million members; however, their 2016 financial statement says 6.3 million "voting eligible" members.

I got mine in 1971 or 1972. The outdoor environmental/backpacker movement was beginning to crest then, and the numbers went up pretty quickly in a short period. A blog where folks were crowing about their numbers had one guy with 311565 who said he got it in the early 70s.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!