Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Tarps: Square vs rectangle

• 32 Replies

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Tarps: Square vs rectangle
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2019, 07:59:37 PM »
Unrelated note from another thread: Using rocks as a hammer works well in big bend with only ''certain'' stakes, I would avoid any stake that has a lot of contact surface (like a Y-stake). I recommend the following stake for BIBE. That said, regardless of which stake you use, it should always be accompanied by a large rock on top of it.

https://lawsonequipment.com/All-Products/Titanium-Tent-Stakes-p883.html

Big rock Little rock is a good method for securing stuff down as well (just in case you break or forget a stake.....or two  :eusa_shhh:).

I still use a Y stake (ground hog) for the high tension guy lines (usually the ridge line) as they hold much better and you can actually pound them with a rock.  I only use wire stakes on the edges.  You can't pound the wire stakes in with a rock but they are handy in rocky ground as you can usually them to slip in between rocks in the soil.  Wire stakes do not hold as well as Y stakes unless down in rocky ground.

I also prefer tarps that allow you to use the pole with the handle up, don't like my handles on the ground, in the wet and I have had rodents chew the handle when down, trying to get the salt.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline DeserTrek

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2019, 08:26:52 PM »
Maybe it was just my location, but I absolutely decapitated my first MSR ground hog that I tried putting into the ground(Mesa de Anguila). The soil was pretty tough to say the least. Generally, I would agree with the wire stakes not taking a pounding, however the wire stake in the link above can take a beating all day long. It's because of the hooks actual angle. With the common wire stakes, such as Vargo, I would completely agree. The wire stakes held very well in the soil that I was in. I just about broke my back trying to get it out haha.... but seriously..... That said, the rocks are my real support.

I tend to like handles down, as I feel the actual hitch is more secure being at the base of the basket (less potential for movement IMO). That said, that's only if one digs a small hole to cup the handle and puts rocks down.

Offline roadtrip

• Roadrunner
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2019, 01:57:55 PM »
Camped out last night. Pitched the tarp for practice, but cowboy camped.
Used the big rock little rock method, worked great. I was planning on buying a few msr ground hogs and/or those shepherd hooks to supplement my stock; but now I'm thinking I may not need to. From the videos I've seen, there's no shortage of rocks on the OML.
6 aluminum ystakes came with the tarp. I've already broken the heads off of 2, trying to get them out of the ground. They hold really good.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!