Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Tyvek rain gear

• 7 Replies

Offline Keepa

• Coyote
Tyvek rain gear
« on: October 20, 2019, 01:24:05 PM »
Three weeks ago I purchased a tyvek disposable coverall to test as a rain suit. It has not rained since then, but today it is. So I put the suit on and stood out in the rain for 10 minutes.

Here's what it looks like:

It weighs only 5.3 ounces and costs around $10. You can find it on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E7M4ORG

It kept me totally dry. It has elastic bands on the hood, cuffs and leg bottoms. It has a flap over the zipper. It is windproof.

You can cut it in half and just use the top as a windbreaker -- don't pay mucho dinero for a windbreaker.

It is not breathable, but you cut a slit under the armpits to help with that.

It is tyvek, so it is puncture resistant and has good tear strength. This suit doubles as a groundsheet. This is now my rain suit and groundsheet.

In comparison, the Frogg Toggs Ultra Lite 2 weighs 10.4 ounces and costs around $16.

Here's a picture and video:

Video:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 01:37:08 PM by Keepa »

Offline blubear

• Jack Rabbit
Re: Tyvek rain gear
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 07:32:27 PM »
I thought tyvek allowed vapor to escape to the outside, thatís why itís is tacked onto buildings?
Not a bargain gore Tex hmm?

Online wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 07:52:49 PM »
I think there are different types of tyvek. We have these same suits at work that are available to us when power washing/etc. But most people prefer no to wear them because they are super hot and you end up just as wet from sweat. The pit zips may help some.

Offline Keepa

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 09:35:24 PM »
I thought tyvek allowed vapor to escape to the outside, thatís why itís is tacked onto buildings?
Not a bargain gore Tex hmm?

Gore tex would be much heavier, more expensive and would probably not survive being extensively used as a ground sheet.

Online wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 01:23:47 AM »
Using it as a ground sheet is a good idea. Great multi use gear.

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 07:08:56 AM »
I can see a future trip report with someone saying the government must be conducting some secret experiments in the Bend.  They may even have some blurry long distance pictures of a man in some scientific looking suit disappearing over a ridge in a light rain.....

Offline roadtrip

• Roadrunner
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 07:15:07 PM »
Keepa, thanks for trying it out and letting us know how it works so far. I was looking at those at some point back in my gear search. Price and weight are great. If only they came in camo

Online Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 08:04:03 PM »
Snow camo!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!