+- +-

Advertisement

Friends of Big Bend

Friends of Big Bend National Park

Copyright Notice

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

Author Topic: Rain  (Read 1289 times)  

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
Rain
« on: March 28, 2012, 09:09:47 AM »
So, can anyone comment on whether/how much rain BB got yesterday?

Hope it gets more in the next few days...

Online Flash

• Black Bear
Re: Rain
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 09:20:52 AM »
From the weather station data, the bulk of the rain (~0.3") hit the Basin between 5 and 6 pm yesterday evening.  :icon_cool:  Must have been nice!  :great:

Offline Raoul Duke

• Coyote
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 10:27:49 AM »
Good rain fell somewhere in the area, as the Rio Grande is up to 330 cfs at Castolon and over 400 at RGV.  It hasn't been that high since July 2011 when there was a big release from Luis Leon Reservoir on the Rio Conchos.  Just last week the gauge at Castolon read 7, yes 7, cfs.
"Getting bored with your neurosis?  Drop you analyst--drop him/her like a cold potato--and make tracks for the nearest river." -Edward Abbey

Offline The Scorpion

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 11:27:29 AM »
  Rey and I got rained on coming out of pine canyon yesterday with hail!!! For the last mile of the trek.
We camped at Fresno near the mine and a really cool lightning show around 5 / 6 . There wa some water on river road east but totally passable in my trail blazer. We just pulled in to RGV and there are good signs it rained here also

James
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline Homer67

• Black Bear
  • Be Amazing.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »
We were driving north of Marathon on 385 on the 27th when the West Tx Squall hit.  It was a deluge for sure!  We did get a little freaked out by the hail, the ominous clouds and the mass sheets of rain, but we made it to Ft. Stockton.  Checking the weather while we dined at Alfredo's, we decided to stay in Ft. Stockton overnight as it appeared that the storm reached up to I10 east of Ft. Stockton.  It was nice to see that BBNP was also getting some rain.  It did also rain the park on the night of the 26th; we anticipated rain at our camp in Terlingua Abajo, but it stayed to the east of us and went over the Mexican side of the Mesa.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:23:42 PM by Homer67 »
Ah Big Bend, we will soon return to reacquaint ourselves in our ritual of blood, exhaustion and dehydration. How can we resist the temptation to strip ourselves of the maladies of civilization?

Offline The Scorpion

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:45:09 PM »
There was more rain in the park today. It rain on us coming from Nita Seawell grave site to almost to basin road. The rain wa going north up 385. Also the Santa Elena canyon are had some rain also. Dark clouds are still hanging around tonight.

James
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline Homer67

• Black Bear
  • Be Amazing.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 12:21:55 PM »
We had hiked down a very cool arroyo on the 26th.  There was a dark grey cloud overhead and we could smell the rain coming on.  With a little over a mile to go back to the truck we high-tailed it.  Fortunately, we made it back to Terlingua Abajo in time to see the storm over the Chisos as we drove in and watched the storm move south over the Mexican side of the Mesa.  It provided an awesome light show as bolts struck the Mesa. Somehow we stayed dry, with half the sky filled with the raging storm, half filled with Big Bend's fantastic star display.

Ominous Cloud approaching on 3/26/2012 by Superhomer670, on Flickr

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 03:13:38 PM by Homer67 »
Ah Big Bend, we will soon return to reacquaint ourselves in our ritual of blood, exhaustion and dehydration. How can we resist the temptation to strip ourselves of the maladies of civilization?

Friends of Big Bend

Advertisement