Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Anyone use the little GPS gizmos?

• 63 Replies

Offline zrock

• Kangaroo Rat
« on: May 14, 2007, 10:29:47 PM »
Hi

Just wondering which ones you guys like the best.
I have no clue about them. Plus there are so many to pick from.
Anything good for less than $200??? $100???

:cool:

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 08:25:03 AM »
Several GPS topics here: http://www.bigbendchat.com/viewforum.php?f=36

I have a Garmin 60Csx...and it rocks.
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline zrock

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 09:36:14 AM »
Thanks

:oops:

I should have searched first.

Wow !!!

Those things can be expensive..........

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 09:58:58 PM »
Garmin 60CSX - Everthing you could ask for.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline gatorbred

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 05:54:12 AM »
since the less I carry the better, I have found my Motokrzr cell GPS works great.

BigBendHiker

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 06:12:00 AM »
Garmin 60CSx here.  Works great for both hiking and city nav.

BBH

Offline Drifter

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 10:20:48 AM »
Hey, GPS units are very nice and are helpful but only, and I stress only after you have a very intimate relationship with map and compass.  It doesn't help to know your Lat. and Lon. if you don't know where you are.
If you climb mountains, no explanation is necessary, if you don't , no explanation is possible.

Offline dryer

• Roadrunner
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 04:56:41 PM »
I own a couple of GPS's, and almost never backpack with them.  A map and compass won't run out of batteries, doesn't weight as much as a GPS, and on known trails, a GPS is really only a novelty (to me....).  I use them in the car, on the kayak and boat, to map trails for future reference, and in my ham radio hobby.   In the pack they simply didn't earn their keep, so I don't carry them anymore.
KD5IVP, Texas

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 06:49:30 PM »
Second the map and compass.  :cool:
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 07:01:04 PM »
I second (or third) the use of a compass  and a map. I always carry both to be used in conjunction with GPS.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Roy

• Mountain Lion
  • We're going' up around the Bend - J. Fogerty, 1970
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 09:30:34 PM »
Sony has one thast attaches to your camera, helps keep track of where you were when you shot your pics;  and I think CanoNikon may have them soon.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 10:47:57 PM »
Depends on how good you are with a map and compass and the visibility of landmarks.  A GPS doesn't weigh all that much and WILL help you spot yourself on a 7.5 or 15 minute map.  Just remember there are 60 seconds in a minute and 60 minutes in a degree when interpolating between tick marks.  A ruler is desirable although the measurement is relative and a slide rule never hurts (just kidding).  We've argued more than once where we were on the map. We always eventually figure it out without using a GPS though, at least so far.

Al

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 02:18:12 PM »
I might have failed to mention GPS is great however; Murphy is my brother, if it can go wrong it will!!!! On second thought the reason I go to BB is to get lost from the rest of civilization :lol:
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

Offline RedBuffalo

• Coyote
    • http://www.duprephotography.com/links.htm
Garmin 101
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 05:07:40 PM »
Actual "use" and "intention" is key to deciding what you need.  I used a Garmin 101 in March and loved it.  It was particulary useful in tracking my distance and average speed, which helped me predict trail times more accurately and help me manage my water intake.  I hiked Casa Grande and Mule Ears Peak and the little unit was invaluable.  Both trails are clearly marked so the GPS was mainly for information and not location.  I did drop a waypoint when leaving the trail to assend MEP and was able to navigate "to the boot print" when coming down.  Should you want to go off trail then more topo features would be appropriate with a better model.

I suggest either buying in low or borrowing to see how you like it.  I won't get on the trail without mine.

Offline PyramidBlaster

• Coyote
  • 3AM Eternal...
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 08:09:15 AM »
I'll concur with what's been said before: GPS's are handy for saving waypoints or tracking progress, but there simply isn't a good substitute for map, Compass, and the best navigational aid of them all---That lump above yer shoulders....

I carry one, an old Eagle/Lowrance Expedition...On boot-up, it says, "Do not rely on this product as your primary source of navigation"...Couldn't agree more. I'm retiring it this year for a Lowrance iFinder H2OC, unless I find one I like better....Still consider it a luxury, however...More used on the car ride than the trail.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."-H.P. Lovecraft

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!