Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Anyone use the little GPS gizmos?

• 63 Replies

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: Anyone use the little GPS gizmos?
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2007, 03:52:35 PM »
Thanks, is there a way to get the minor contours to be solid rather than dotted line?

Should be solid in Mapsource and on your GPS. Are seeing the dotted display in Mapedit?
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2007, 04:08:55 PM »
Yes, in GPSMapEdit. Thanks.

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2007, 05:42:03 PM »
Yes, in GPSMapEdit. Thanks.

Once you compile the map and open in Mapsource all will be well.

Let me know if you need anything else.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2008, 08:34:04 PM »
Robert,

How are you coming along with yr custom maps?
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
Your timing couldn't be better. We'll be heading out to the park next week and hiking in the Sierra Quemadas. I have created a custom topo that I'm pretty happy with. I have a lot of custom waypoints to mark landmarks, springs, etc. The one glitch that I haven't spent time with was with the POI's. I downloaded the POI loader and loaded a bunch of custom POI's but I can't see them in the unit. Not too big of a deal because the important stuff I created with waypoints.

I created routes with the Route tool (using Waypoints) and the Tracks tool. Is there that big of a difference between the two?

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2008, 09:20:49 PM »
Robert,

I have not done much with the POI loader, but I use waypoints. If the point of interest is important or something I want to have all the time, I just compile it in the map at some point.

Regarding your question about tracks vs routes:

Tracks are a history. Routes are planning.

You can view a track on the GPS unit and trackback with it, ie pick the nearest point and follow it to its origin or reverse.

With a route, you can select and actively navigate that route. The difference is somewhat subtle, but the best overall choice for planning is the route.

Once you save an active track log from recording actual hikes, that can be used as a trackback guide instantly in the backcountry.

Good luck on your trip.

Save some tracks and share them.

Remember your actual recorded tracks are the BEST data for updating your maps. Import the track into GPSmapedit as a gpx file and convert to polyline, label and compile. Presto..........you have a very accurate trail at that point.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2008, 07:58:08 AM »

While that's what I thought but Mapsource has the ability to create a "route" using the tracks tool. The only difference that I can discern is that it lays down many more points along the way. I can see the value in recording where you've been but if you're going to be off trail, laying down a pre-planned track doesn't have much advantage because you're likely to not follow that route to the letter.

It would be nice if the software allowed you to drag a waypoint to track point instead of editing it.

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2008, 08:07:19 AM »

While that's what I thought but Mapsource has the ability to create a "route" using the tracks tool. The only difference that I can discern is that it lays down many more points along the way. I can see the value in recording where you've been but if you're going to be off trail, laying down a pre-planned track doesn't have much advantage because you're likely to not follow that route to the letter.

It would be nice if the software allowed you to drag a waypoint to track point instead of editing it.

The difference between track and route in Mapsource is not so significant. There are some properties of the route that include navigation instructions. They do, however operate differently in the GPS unit as described in my other post.

If you right click on a waypoint in Mapsource, select move waypoint, you then can drag it.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2008, 08:26:17 AM »
Looks like you can only move it when it is not part of a route. If it is part of a route the "Move" menu does not show up.

Offline Peach

• Coyote
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2008, 03:10:59 PM »
Glad you asked this question!  I want a GPS so bad and haven't a clue what to look for! :icon_smile:

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2008, 08:44:41 AM »
Glad you asked this question!  I want a GPS so bad and haven't a clue what to look for! :icon_smile:
Hello Peach;

In my truly humble opinion, I bought the Garmin GPSMap 60 Csx unit,it is the best unit you can buy. It has all the features you could probably wish for. There are more images on the Owners Manual , but i am going to let the GPS gurus, who by now have caught up on this tempting thread, and let them step forward with their best sound advice this webpage can mustard.
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2008, 05:05:27 PM »
Hello Peach;

In my truly humble opinion, I bought the Garmin GPSMap 60 Csx unit,it is the best unit you can buy. It has all the features you could probably wish for. There are more images on the Owners Manual , but i am going to let the GPS gurus, who by now have caught up on this tempting thread, and let them step forward with their best sound advice this webpage can mustard.

I'm a 60CSX owner, and very satisfied.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Peach

• Coyote
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2008, 08:20:56 PM »
Thanks!  I'm gonna take a trip into Houston and check one out!

Offline dkerr24

• Mountain Lion
  • The worst day hiking > the best day in a cubicle.
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2008, 11:15:20 AM »
The 60csx looks like a nice unit, but I wonder how battery life is with a color display vs black & white.  A color screen seems like overkill for a handheld unit.

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2008, 12:44:39 PM »
The 60csx looks like a nice unit, but I wonder how battery life is with a color display vs black & white.  A color screen seems like overkill for a handheld unit.

I previously had a Garmin GPS 12 that had a monochromatic screen and it took 4 AA's and would last about 18-20 hrs. It was hard to read in sunlight and a fairly low resolution screen.

In contrast, my 60CSX has a great color screen that is easy to read in the sunlight and it goes about 18 hrs on 2 AA's (alkaline). Don't know how long it would go on lithium.

Color is very nice.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!