Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Google Earth and Garmin BaseCamp

• 10 Replies

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Google Earth and Garmin BaseCamp
« on: February 14, 2017, 10:52:32 AM »
For those of you who use BaseCamp and open GoogleEarth, please be aware that the latest version of GE, will not be recognized by BaseCamp. You'll have to go back to

Google Earth Ver. 7.1.7.2606

GE updated on Feb 02.

Also be aware that GE has to be started BEFORE BaseCamp will interface with it. This is not new, but the latest version of GE squashed the BaseCamp connection completely. I guess Google wants some $ from Garmin?
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
Re: Google Earth and Garmin BaseCamp
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 11:11:11 AM »
Confirmed on my computer too. You can easily fix it by running this at the command prompt. I've had to do this before after the last Google Earth update.

From the Command Prompt type the following as applicable and press ENTER:

(Make sure you are in the C:\ root directory)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (works with Google Earth Pro in Win 7...10)

"C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (Google Earth Pro in XP)

"C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (Google Earth in XP)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (Google Earth non-Pro on Win 7, 8.x and 10)

Note for those not used to using the command line in Windows, the double quotes in all of the examples are critical. They MUST be there and in the indicated places or you'll get an error that the directory name is invalid. It won't harm anything; it simply won't work.

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 11:50:38 AM »
Thanks guys. Unfortunately I found this issue prior to last week's trip and was having to do some extra work to create the route. Made it work while bouncing between Cal-Topo, GE, and Basecamp but it was not fun.

Like BK, I'm guessing there was some issue with the agreement between the two.

Lance, thanks for the tips to re-install GE.

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 12:20:52 PM »
Confirmed on my computer too. You can easily fix it by running this at the command prompt. I've had to do this before after the last Google Earth update.

From the Command Prompt type the following as applicable and press ENTER:

(Make sure you are in the C:\ root directory)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (works with Google Earth Pro in Win 7...10)

"C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (Google Earth Pro in XP)

"C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (Google Earth in XP)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (Google Earth non-Pro on Win 7, 8.x and 10)

Note for those not used to using the command line in Windows, the double quotes in all of the examples are critical. They MUST be there and in the indicated places or you'll get an error that the directory name is invalid. It won't harm anything; it simply won't work.

That works too, but you'll probably have to run the command prompt as an administrator.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 02:16:56 PM »
Lance, thanks for the tips to re-install GE.

No need to re-install. Just run one of the commands.

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 05:54:59 PM »
The above instructions won't work if you are running the 64 bit version of GoogleEarth Pro. You have to do a direct download and install of the 32 bit version. If you have a 64 bit machine, the automated download of Google Earth Pro will install the 64 bit version. This will not open from BaseCamp as BaseCamp is a 32 bit program. There may be a registry hack?
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 08:29:51 PM »
You guys never cease to amaze me.

History, geology, backpacking, mentors.   Now, you're writing code?

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 07:08:15 AM »
You guys never cease to amaze me.

History, geology, backpacking, mentors.   Now, you're writing code?

Lance is Big Bend Bill (Gates)
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 10:51:00 AM »
The above instructions won't work if you are running the 64 bit version of GoogleEarth Pro. You have to do a direct download and install of the 32 bit version. If you have a 64 bit machine, the automated download of Google Earth Pro will install the 64 bit version. This will not open from BaseCamp as BaseCamp is a 32 bit program. There may be a registry hack?
Hmm. I wasn't aware of a 64-bit version of Google Earth until your post. Here is Google's announcement earlier this year for 64-bit support. Of course, I would like to run 64-bit GE, but I really like that feature of BaseCamp->Google Earth which I just confirmed works with 32-bit GE like you said. I'll see if I can find something out or make it work somehow.

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »
Hmm. I wasn't aware of a 64-bit version of Google Earth until your post. Here is Google's announcement earlier this year for 64-bit support. Of course, I would like to run 64-bit GE, but I really like that feature of BaseCamp->Google Earth which I just confirmed works with 32-bit GE like you said. I'll see if I can find something out or make it work somehow.

Yeah, I was configuring a 64bit Win 10 laptop and downloaded BaseCamp and then GE. GE wouldn't open from BaseCamp.

I then ran from the Admin Command prompt

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (works with Google Earth Pro in Win 7...10)

I got a "path not found error". So....I checked and the 64 bit version of GE loads the executable under:
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe, NOT (x86) which is for 32 bit programs that run on 64 bit machines

I tried changing the path in the/RegServer command and that didn't work, so I uninstalled the 64 bit version of GE. You have to manually download the 32 bit version from the GE homepage though, because the regular one-click installer detects the 64 bit version of Windows and tries to install it. It was a perplexing 15 minutes but I got it done.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 12:01:01 PM »
A cursory search confirms what you already knew, BaseCamp doesn't work with the 64-bit version of GE. You need to download and install the 32-bit version from this page. Make sure to select v7.3.1 for Windows (32-bit) under the Download a Google Earth Pro direct installer section.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!