Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Google Earth Gripes

• 8 Replies

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
Google Earth Gripes
« on: February 09, 2018, 12:40:39 PM »
Google Earth has officially abandoned the panoramio layer and with it all the photos that the users did not migrate over to their new photo service.  There are not that many google map photos, and the ones they do have for Big Bend are mainly at the major tourist areas.  They still show the locations of the old photos, and there are a lot in very remote areas.  These were quite valuable to me, for scouting potential hikes and discovering new places to explore, in Big Bend and elsewhere.

From what I can find, it appears that the move to the new photo layer is complete and any photos not moved by the user are gone forever.  There is a site https://mapsights.com/ that appears to have most of the old photos, but the interface isn't much good. Maybe the new system will make it much easier to add photos moving forwards, but for now it seems they really killed a good chunk of its functionality. 

Offline DesertRatShorty

• Coyote
    • Who was Desert Rat Shorty?
Re: Google Earth Gripes
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 02:09:47 PM »
I agree, that is definitely annoying. There were are some rare photos like you said like ones from the top of Sue Peaks. On the other hand, a fair number were misplaced.

On the plus side, the latest version of Google Earth has some impressive resolution. Still can't see the tips of the Mule Ear Peaks though!
I roamed and rambled, and I foller'ed my footsteps
   To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
   And all around me a voice was a'sounding
   This land was made for you and me

Offline Talusman

• Diamondback
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:51:59 PM »
Google Earth has officially abandoned the panoramio layer and with it all the photos that the users did not migrate over to their new photo service.  There are not that many google map photos, and the ones they do have for Big Bend are mainly at the major tourist areas.  They still show the locations of the old photos, and there are a lot in very remote areas.  These were quite valuable to me, for scouting potential hikes and discovering new places to explore, in Big Bend and elsewhere.

From what I can find, it appears that the move to the new photo layer is complete and any photos not moved by the user are gone forever.  There is a site https://mapsights.com/ that appears to have most of the old photos, but the interface isn't much good. Maybe the new system will make it much easier to add photos moving forwards, but for now it seems they really killed a good chunk of its functionality.

It's like what your thoughts were about upper Maple Canyon were before we went into it recently. I kept telling you what a beast the upper portions were, but when you saw it in person and called it "An Abyss", there was nothing on Google Earth, nor Satellite, that could prepare you for what we went into that day. It is getting where I can't trust it for any of the adventures I plan off mountain ranges or canyons.
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline Lance

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 12:14:07 PM »

Welcome to the world of Google software products. At any time they can kill it off and be done with it. Panoramio, Picasa, Reader, and countless others. I rue the day when they try to make GE web-based instead of a stand-alone application. It could definitely happen.

Panoramio was very useful, it's a shame they got rid of it. I've used the new Google Maps Photos layer and you can only upload photos to preset markers within Google Maps. You can't tag the photo anywhere you want now like you could with Panoramio. Hopefully, they will add that functionality later, but I wouldn't count on it.

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 12:29:28 PM »
They seem to have nuked the cool photos by SW Dayhiker, Buck, Hedgehog, etc. A real loss.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 03:51:42 PM »
To be fair, Google let users know that they were going to do this.
I had some good photos of BBRSP that I had uploaded.
I honestly don't remember if I retained them to move them over.  I'll have to go look.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 06:53:33 PM »
Resource diminished.  It is a pity.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 02:26:41 PM »
Welcome to the world of Google software products. At any time they can kill it off and be done with it. Panoramio, Picasa, Reader, and countless others. I rue the day when they try to make GE web-based instead of a stand-alone application. It could definitely happen.

Gasp! A genuine first world problem.

There was a time not so long ago when none of this technology was available, free or not, and the best (and only) available Big Bend topo was a single park-wide 130,000 scale map (that I used to hike the OML; and where a sixteenth-inch wide trail line represented almost 700' of width on the ground...nearly useless for route finding).
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 02:58:09 PM »

Gasp! A genuine first world problem.

There was a time not so long ago when none of this technology was available, free or not, and the best (and only) available Big Bend topo was a single park-wide 130,000 scale map (that I used to hike the OML; and where a sixteenth-inch wide trail line represented almost 700' of width on the ground...nearly useless for route finding).

Same here and absolutely worthless for route finding, at best good for identifying landmarks.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!