Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

GPS upgrade help needed

• 7 Replies

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
GPS upgrade help needed
« on: May 14, 2013, 06:32:54 AM »
REI has the Garmin Oregon 450t on for $199.99. I have an eTrex Venture HC that I seriously hate. Does anyone have an opinion on the Oregon? I understand it comes with U.S. TOPO maps preloaded. The eTrex maps were way expensive to buy! Will I have to buy more maps for detailed TOPO views? What is BirdsEye Satellite Imagery? Thanks

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: GPS upgrade help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:29:10 AM »
Hey, Reece, here is a link to free GPS maps :  GPSFiledepot    :icon_cool:

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 08:48:16 AM »
Yes, the birds eye view is the satellite images. My new garmin has that feature but I have not messed with it
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 12:52:32 PM »
Flash, are you talking about maps for the Oregon? Free maps can't be loaded on the eTrex.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 01:19:59 PM »
Flash, are you talking about maps for the Oregon? Free maps can't be loaded on the eTrex.

Just talking about free maps for Garmins in general. I have loaded maps from that site onto my eTrex 20 using Basecamp software. The Oregon I reckon would be no problem. Can't say anything about the Venture HC...

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 05:56:04 PM »
Garmin has Birdseye raster topo maps for a price. They are 1:24,000 scale raster USGS maps and 1:50,000 scale raster NRC maps. The only problem is they don't really tell you what the coverage is for each scale. They also have 24k Vector maps by state/region and a 100k vector topo of the whole US. They also offer Birdseye Satellite Images, but that is by yearly subscription. The satellite images would be nice with a vector topo overlay.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline VivaTerlingua

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 09:00:52 PM »
Are you needing it for day hikes or extended hikes?  For day hikes I use Topomaps on my iPhone.  Much better screen than my garmin handheld and battery lasts all day.

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:01:37 PM »
Extended.
Yeah, I love the iPhone, even thought about getting a backup battery pack and I use it any time I can. I watched the Garmin video on the 550t. I think this is my GPS - serves my purpose well. Its like a handheld GPS for seniors - big buttons. For the price, hard to beat.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!