Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

MapSource or BaseCamp?

• 3 Replies

Offline WayneG

• Kangaroo Rat
    • Photography by Wayne Gresser
MapSource or BaseCamp?
« on: September 13, 2017, 06:05:31 PM »
Hi All,
OK, so I have been a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to my GPS mapping.  I own a Garmin GPSmap 60CSX which I have been using with MapSource loaded on an old Vista laptop.  I like to pre-plan trip hikes by creating Tracks (and sometimes Routes) using MapSource software. Then, I transfer the Tracks and Waypoints to the 60CSX.
 I realize Garmin scrapped MapSource in favor of BaseCamp several years ago.  I have read that Basecamp is not very user intuitive compared to MapSource…  Due to the age of my Vista laptop, the time has come to transfer my maps, waypoints, tracks and routes to a new Windows 10 laptop.  So, I have several questions;

1.   Should I attempt to install MapSource on my Win 10 laptop? 
2.   If I download BaseCamp to the Win 10 laptop, will my existing MapSource waypoints, tracks and maps be recognized and transferrable to my GPS?

Thanks in advance for any help here.  I am planning an extended trip to the four corners region next month and will need to bring a computer to add/remove tracks/routes due to the 60CSX limitation of 20 tracks/1000 waypoints.

Thanks,
Wayne
KE5UOF
All cacti are succulents but not all succulents are cacti...

Offline Solo

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: MapSource or BaseCamp?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 07:24:54 PM »
I looked at BaseCamp and decided to stay with MapSource on my 60CS, and even installed it on my new tower PC.  You should be able to keep using it.  If not, all your tracks should work since they are Garmin/industry standard file formats.
'Tis distance lends enchantment to the view, and robes the mountain in its azure hue.  -Thomas Campbell

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:26:40 PM »
You can load both and use both.
Map source is no longer supported
BaseCamp has better graphics
You can export all of you data from Mapsource in the form of a gpx or a gdb  file and import into BaseCamp.

I use both...but only use Mapsource for developing and testing custom maps.

Normally I use BaseCamp....it's not that hard to use, and allows for some file organization that was lacking in Mapsource.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:19:50 AM by badknees »
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline WayneG

• Kangaroo Rat
    • Photography by Wayne Gresser
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 07:20:49 AM »
I will then load both and go from there.  Now I must find that old MapSource CD............ :eusa_think:
All cacti are succulents but not all succulents are cacti...

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2017 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!