Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Which would you buy?

• 14 Replies

Offline CubScoutMom

• Jack Rabbit
Which would you buy?
« on: November 15, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »
We are in the market for a handheld GPS.  We plan to use it to geocache with the kids.  My husband and eldest son like to mountain bike and might use it there too.

I'm looking at these two:

Garmin Oregon 450 for $180
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00313JX4W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Garmin GPSMAP 62S for $285
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IHV6YG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ASO7Z2STFAG2Q

Reviews indicate that the Oregon's touchscreen is hard to read in bright sunlight and hard to use in the cold.  Think the 62S is worth $100 more?

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
Re: Which would you buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 03:20:35 PM »
I have just bought the Oregon 600 ( I think--maybe 650).  It's touch screen, I think like the 450.

I had the non touch screen one (like the 62S) and disliked it enough that I gave it away.

The touch screen is much easier to use.  Having said that, I never really learned how to use the 62S and I still haven't learned how to use the Oregon.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 08:18:45 PM by steelfrog »

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 03:40:14 PM »
Ya Garmin hasn't thought out the carrying case for the Oregon.

It doesn't have a good way to attach and the case they sell to go with it is way too big; I ordered a Caselogic ultra compact camera case to put it in.  I'll try that.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 08:21:17 PM by steelfrog »

Offline CubScoutMom

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 03:42:51 PM »
I'm new here.  Are you two married?   :icon_lol:

Offline Quatro

• Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 06:14:25 PM »
  Think the 62S is worth $100 more?

While I've used neither, I'd buy the 62S - only because it is on sale for $199 at REI through 11/24. That makes it only $20 more.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 06:16:19 PM »
I had the older Garmin 60csx, well I still have it, but up graded to the Garmin Montana 650t.

I was going to get the 62s because I was familiar with the operation of the 60csx. It is a fine and rugged unit, it has had its fair share of bumps, knocks, falls and tumbles in Big Bend and its still going strong. Its very accurate. It has excellent reception even in thick woods and canyons. I took my 60csx on a float trip all the way through Santa Elena canyon, and I did not lose signal until we got to the narrowest and deepest part of the canyon. then 10 minutes later, it acquired signal again. I like it because it was a good size, easy to attach to my shoulder strap on my pack. batteries lasted a few days when you shut it of when not needed.

the thing I did not like about it was the screen size and the manor in which you manually change the name of a way point our track.

On the Montana 650t, I love it for its large touch screen and ease of entering data manually. Im still trying to figure it out, but its a good unit.

I dont like it because its big and bulky, no good case options for attaching to the shoulder strap on the pack, Im still working on a solution for that

which ever unit you do get, please get a screen protector for it. I waited until it was too late and got a small but annoying scratch on my 60csx

James
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline Picacho

• Black Bear
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 07:08:52 PM »
I like to go out bushwhacking in the Puntas with no map and no GPS with minimal water and see if I can make it back to camp. 

Offline Lissa

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »
Do you have a smart phone? If so you can use that as a GPS for no/minimal dollars, you just need to download the appropriate topo maps in advance.  The phone always gets it's location info from satellites, it just uses nearby cell towers (if available) to (1) find the nearest satellite faster, and (2) load the appropriate maps on the fly.  I bought a $9.99 iPhone app (Topo Maps) that integrates with the USGS maps, and it worked well both on the Wonderland Trail of Mt. Rainier and on Big Bend's OML.

Offline Geezer

• Black Bear
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 09:47:31 PM »
Steelfrog don't need no stinking GPS!

Geezer

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 10:52:43 PM »
Picacho that's how real men do it. Black dikes, indeed...

Offline Terlingua50337

• Diamondback
  • West Texas road trip? Get in......... I'll drive!
    • Leeds Fine Western Art Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 05:14:34 AM »
I had a 62csx sold it and got an Oregon with a touch screen, sold it and now have a 62s. I found the touch screen to be too tender. It kinda "bent" one time when I was out on the Pecos. For some reason the places I like to go demand more robust gear. That said the 62s has a great antenna and will keep a signal lock in some pretty deep canyons. I rarely lose signal with it and like Lance says you can put big micro SD cards in it. I put a 16gig in mine.

Offline CubScoutMom

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 07:40:55 AM »
  Think the 62S is worth $100 more?

While I've used neither, I'd buy the 62S - only because it is on sale for $199 at REI through 11/24. That makes it only $20 more.

Well, lookie there!  Glad I waited to pull the trigger.  Thank you for finding that for me.  :D

I'm probably going to get the 62S but I need a clearer head to make the decision.  Our Cub Scout group "camped" on the Lexington this weekend.  I got no sleep and I'm pretty sure I picked up the Flu.

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 07:06:27 PM »
Yeah sleeping in tight quarters with a whole bunch of people and no real air circulation will give you the flu.  Had the same thing happen when I "camped" in Lady Lex several years ago.  Luckily I was nearly last in because all of the bigger birth areas had filled up with guys who (later) were found to snore really loudly.  I came home sick but at least I got some sleep that night.   Also came home smelling like Diesel bunker oil.

I think I will buy myself a 60s for Xmas this year,  I have never had a GPS before but sure wish I had one several different times.   My cell phone Navigation system drains the battery fast,  not exactly what I want to be doing out in the back country of Big Bend.   TWWG

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 07:47:24 PM »
Also came home smelling like Diesel bunker oil.
I think that smell is a cross between Diesel, old rotten electrical insulation, and mildew. I ended up washing everything we took once we got home. Great experience with each of my two sons.

My GPS receiver? It is a Garmin eTrex 20 that I like pretty well. Way easier to load with data than my old Magellan eXplorist 210. Lots a free maps are available for Garmins also.

Offline CubScoutMom

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 08:01:10 AM »
The food is MUCH better on the Lexington than it is on the Texas.  The berths are bigger too.  There were almost 400 people and maybe 80 of those were females.  When we were on Texas, there were less than 100 people and only 6 females.  I didn't get sick!   :vomit:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!