Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

100 mile long Guadalupe Ridge Trail

• 9 Replies

Offline miatarchy04

• Jack Rabbit
100 mile long Guadalupe Ridge Trail
« on: March 09, 2019, 03:01:23 PM »
The new issue of Texas Highways (April 2019, Willie Nelson cover) has a major article (10 pages) on the Guadalupe Ridge Trail with terminal trailheads at Guadalupe Mountains NP and the eastern (White's City) end of Carlsbad Caverns NP. The trail also goes through parts of the Lincoln National Forest.  This article is not on the magazine's webpage but there is some information on the National Recreation Trail page:
http://www.nrtdatabase.org/trailDetail.php?recordID=3935

The author admits:
"Water is the major complication for hikers tackling the entire trail. Although there is some water to be found nearby in the national forest, there is none available in the backcountry of the national parks. At a recommended gallon of water per day a hiker would have to carry seven gallons for a weeklong trek. Not likely. Rangers from the parks and Forest Service hope that someday a private outfitter will provide a water caching service, ensuring that hikers will be able to quench their thirst along the trail. I was unable to find anyone to cache water for me, so I ended up seeing the GRT in sections."

Also of interest to this webpage, the same issue also has article on Presidio as a tourist destination (not a joke) and the lower canyons of the Rio Grande in BB.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Re: 100 mile long Guadalupe Ridge Trail
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 04:05:59 PM »
Wow. Thatís some issue!!

The Guadalupe Ridge is a wonderful route. A few people on this board have done it and reported back. Iíve done most of it, but never as a single trip.

The information about water in Carlsbad Caverns NP is inaccurate. Iíve drawn water from several sources in the backcountry of that park. GUMO, though, is pretty dry, with the exception of the mid- and lower-elevations of McKittrick Canyon and a few springs not conveniently accessed from the ridge route.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline AggieOO

• Coyote
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 11:03:31 AM »
How well is everything marked when you are outside of GUMO?

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 01:07:05 PM »
How well is everything marked when you are outside of GUMO?

Nathanr would be the one to answer your question: he did the route last year. I've never done the whole thing, but back 15 or more years ago when I did a good bit of it in parts, I remember it being very spottily signposted in the national forest portions.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline nathanr

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 12:32:55 PM »
We did the Guadalupe Ridge trail from Rattlesnake Canyon to a bit past Devil's Den. It's an easy trail to follow through Carlsbad. It's the only trail, but a bit overgrown in places. Once you hit Lincoln NF there's a series of forest roads that you follow that are well traveled and almost always have road numbers posted - you just need to know which ones to follow.

You can fill up water at the Black River spring in Lincoln NF, again at McKittrick Canyon ranger station and again at Pine Spring. No need to cache.

Offline miatarchy04

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 02:19:40 PM »
Since my original post the article has appeared on the magazine's webpage: https://texashighways.com/

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 01:08:08 AM »
Thanks for posting the article. Made for some great late night reading. And the pictures were great also.

Was just daydreaming of the Guadalupes as I often do when I came across this. Just what I needed. What an amazing place.

Offline AggieOO

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 02:35:02 PM »
We did the Guadalupe Ridge trail from Rattlesnake Canyon to a bit past Devil's Den. It's an easy trail to follow through Carlsbad. It's the only trail, but a bit overgrown in places. Once you hit Lincoln NF there's a series of forest roads that you follow that are well traveled and almost always have road numbers posted - you just need to know which ones to follow.

You can fill up water at the Black River spring in Lincoln NF, again at McKittrick Canyon ranger station and again at Pine Spring. No need to cache.

Is the spring hard to find?  from the map, it looks like you just pop down 201A and its at the end of the road.  Pretty reliable, I assume?

Offline nathanr

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 05:41:31 AM »
Yep, the road dead-ends at the spring - it's hard to miss. It seemed pretty reliable and I'd probably bet on it being there if I did the route again. 

Offline John_E

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 02:52:52 PM »
Myself and two others did the full 100 Miles in April over ten days going South to North. There's actually a variety of good options to refill or cache along the way without relying on springs. If anyone is considering it I'm happy to share whatever I know here or in an email.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!