Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

4 tallest peaks in TX

• 4 Replies

Offline vgeh

• Kangaroo Rat
4 tallest peaks in TX
« on: December 05, 2017, 09:59:38 AM »
I will be in Guadalupe Mtn NP late December and planning to summit the 4 tall peaks(Guadalupe, Shumard, Barlett and Bush Mtn) on a day hike. I am still figuring out the exact date but it will be likely 23, 24 or 25th.

This will be a solo hike and I will start from the Guadalupe Peak trailhead and make a loop in counterclock wise direction and back to Guadalupe Peak trailhead hiking to summits of Shumard, Barlett and Bush Mtn. This is my first time to the park so I am both excited and little nervous!!

Anyone going to be in the park at the same time? Want to say hi or join on this adventure?

Offline Talusman

• Diamondback
Re: 4 tallest peaks in TX
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 11:23:16 AM »
I wish you good luck. Just be prepared to not get it done. If you have never hiked there you will be surprised at how much bush whacking you will encounter. I planned a route to Shumard for a day hike the first time I climbed Shumard. Photos from all angles around it. Topo. Satellite.  When Scree bird and I did it in a day hike it was way tougher than it appeared. I'd be sure to wear good gaiters and long sleeves for sure. Eye protection is nice if you wear glasses or take sunglasses. Your daylight will be short as well. You really don't want to get caught between Guadalupe and Bush in the Dark. It is all off trail. The Pine Springs Canyon that comes down between Bartlett and Bush will have some really tough bush whacking. I hope you get an early start and good luck.

Hope you get some good pictures. I look forward to hearing you accomplish this goal.
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline wrangler88

• Roadrunner
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 03:00:25 PM »
I've always liked the idea of this hike and from time to time convince myself that I could do it. But I know it's probably above my abilities and fitness level. I've only hiked off trail to Mt Pratt, which topographically didn't look that hard. But the thorny scrub proved it to be way more than what I anticipated. I've about determined the best way for me would be to camp at Guadalupe Mountain Campsite first and then hike across and leave myself the option of staying at Bush Mountain or Pine Top campsites the 2nd night.
Hope this trip works out. I'd definitely love to see a report when you're done. Sounds like it's be an amazing trip.

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 09:57:43 PM »
Be prepared to start way before daylight and to finish in the dark.  You will have very short days.  The knee high thick scrub brush will slow you down a LOT.  And then there is the HIGH winds and cold temps.  I've done all those peaks, and wouldn't suggest it at that time of year.

Offline Talusman

• Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 10:54:47 AM »
Be prepared to start way before daylight and to finish in the dark.  You will have very short days.  The knee high thick scrub brush will slow you down a LOT.  And then there is the HIGH winds and cold temps.  I've done all those peaks, and wouldn't suggest it at that time of year.

I didn't want to rain on your parade, but since TXaggieHiker jumped in there, and I know he also knows the area, I'd agree. But if you truly plan on doing this counterclockwise from the main trail head from Pine Springs Campground, I'd be sure and camp in the night before and get started up Tejas trail at least 2 AM, as you can use a headlamp and make your way on trail to Bush Mountain. You'll need daylight to get from there across the Bartlett, then Shumard and then Guadalupe, and this will be very tough going. You've never been there, you will most likely have to re-start in places going down and up. I'd not recommend this to anyone who has not hiked the area and knows what they are dealing with. Laurence Parent knows this area well and they took 17 hours in mostly daylight from Guadalupe to Bush. LP and team went clockwise and started off up trail before sun up.

I'd do this with you if you could make it somewhere sooner before or after Christmas. I'd get divorce papers from my wife if I went on those days your going. But if you attempt it don't feel bad about turning back. Weather may hamper your attempt as well.
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!