Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Any GUMO Trips Planned?

• 32 Replies

Offline puzzlejug

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Any GUMO Trips Planned?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 09:36:26 PM »
Wrangler88, I'm planning a solo trip  the last week of September.  If you don't mind, would you update us on conditions (especially temps) when you get back?  I haven't been out there in a few years and don't remember what to expect in September

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 08:14:03 AM »
p-jug,
This site has been recommended for reliable 15-day forecasts:
http://myforecast.co/bin/expanded_forecast_15day.m?city=W72262&metric=false
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline wrangler88

• Roadrunner
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 08:27:02 AM »
Wrangler88, I'm planning a solo trip  the last week of September.  If you don't mind, would you update us on conditions (especially temps) when you get back?  I haven't been out there in a few years and don't remember what to expect in September

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

I sure will. I went in September a few years ago. Maybe 2014? 2015? It was the year it flooded real bad and they had the majority of the park closed. We were still able to do Guad Peak, check out Smith Spring, and hike a couple miles up McKittrick Canyon (with quite a bit of water).
I remember it being hot during the day but not so hot you couldn't do anything. And at night it got fairly cool/cold. I'll give more specifics in a trip report after the first of September.

And I remember it being way more Green out there from all the rain! Very pretty.

Offline wrangler88

• Roadrunner
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 08:29:19 AM »
That's a great shot TexasAggie. Did you hike the 4 highest peaks in a day or do Shumard and Bartlett together?
Did Bartlett and Shumard in a day from the Bush Mountain campsite.  Also did Guad and El Cap in a day. There's a trip report on hear somewhere.

*edt:  found it. http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/gumo-general-discussion/guadalupe-8-000-footers/

I know I've read this before. I think I've read everything in the GUMO section of the forum. But I went back and reread it. Sounded like an awesome trip. That picture of El Cap showing how steep it is is amazing. That's definitely something I want to checkout later this year.

Offline wrangler88

• Roadrunner
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 08:36:29 AM »
wrangler88,
Always impressed by how much ground you cover in your outings.   Your next trip will be just 2-1/2 days long, yet such diverse and demanding objectives!  My tendency all along has been to underrate my strength, and/or overrate the difficulties.  It's good to push the envelope, whatever one's age or abilities, and see that you can do better than you thought.

I'm excited for you to do the McKittrick Trail up to McKittrick Ridge.  I think you'll find it exceptional.  I want to do the Permian Reef/Wilderness Ridge sometime; I'll bet it's a blast.  I wonder if there's a trip report on it anywhere?  Haven't seen any photos, other than car campers driving in from the north.

The Shumard/Bone Canyon trip sounds really good.  I wish I'd taken a little more time out there in May to see Bone Canyon, but then I shouldn't be greedy; what a great trip as it was!  While on the El Capitan Trail, I couldn't help thinking about Colin Fletcher's hike along the Esplanade in Grand Canyon (The Man Who Walked Through Time).

I have definitely overdone it out there. But I've also had days I wish I had hiked more. It's hard to tell. My main thing to watch out for is not to do too much on day 1. I usually wake up at 2am and then drive 8 hours to GUMO. So by the time I hike that day I'm completely worn out.

I've seen a couple trip reports from the Permian Reef Trail. And seen at least a video or two on Facebook. I'll see if I can find a couple links later today. That's the trail I least know what to expect though.

I'm  not a huge reader but I did finally read Legends and Lore of the Guadalupe Mountains a few months ago. I loved it. Read the whole thing in two days. Definitely interesting to learn some history of where you're walking. And got me excited to go back out and do some off trail hiking eventually. I know a lot of the stuff might not be true but it's still neat to think about.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 08:44:56 AM »
I'm  not a huge reader but I did finally read Legends and Lore of the Guadalupe Mountains a few months ago. I loved it. Read the whole thing in two days. Definitely interesting to learn some history of where you're walking. And got me excited to go back out and do some off trail hiking eventually. I know a lot of the stuff might not be true but it's still neat to think about.
Wrangler88, did that book mention anythingl about Ben Sublett and his mine? I have been reading Coronado's Children by Frank Dobie. One chapter is about tales of gold in the Guadalupe Mountains and Ben Sublett in particular. Apparently, folks are still looking for it...  ;)

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 09:10:33 AM »
The Permian reef trail is your tipical GUMO trail. All up hill until you get to the backcountry. Cool views to east as you go up. Once on top the views down into north and south McKittrick are great!  Wilderness ridge camp sites are nice and spread out. I'll have to post some pics of my hike there in April.

Offline wrangler88

• Roadrunner
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 02:11:35 PM »
Wrangler88, did that book mention anythingl about Ben Sublett and his mine? I have been reading Coronado's Children by Frank Dobie. One chapter is about tales of gold in the Guadalupe Mountains and Ben Sublett in particular. Apparently, folks are still looking for it...  ;)

Yeah it talks about him and his son and several other treasures and treasure seekers. The most interesting to me were the chests of rifles stolen and hidden in the mountains. And the entire camp of Indians found dead in McKittrick Canyon. Super interesting.

Offline wrangler88

• Roadrunner
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »
The Permian reef trail is your tipical GUMO trail. All up hill until you get to the backcountry. Cool views to east as you go up. Once on top the views down into north and south McKittrick are great!  Wilderness ridge camp sites are nice and spread out. I'll have to post some pics of my hike there in April.

Please do. That would be great.

Offline wrangler88

• Roadrunner
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 06:03:21 PM »
I want to do the Permian Reef/Wilderness Ridge sometime; I'll bet it's a blast.  I wonder if there's a trip report on it anywhere?  Haven't seen any photos, other than car campers driving in from the north.

This isn't my trip report, and hopefully its okay to post it, but I read this one a while back and think its a great report of the Permian Reef Trail. She does a great job and has great pictures and tips.

http://ramblinghemlock.blogspot.com/2015/12/permian-reef-geology-trail-in-guadalupe.html

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 09:22:31 PM »
My pics from the Permian Reef Geology Trail

Offline wrangler88

• Roadrunner
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 05:45:07 AM »
Man, those are awesome pictures! I love the ones looking back down into the canyon. Got me pumped for going in a few weeks.

Did you stop at the state line or go over into the national forest at all?

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 01:35:05 PM »
This isn't my trip report, and hopefully its okay to post it, but I read this one a while back and think its a great report of the Permian Reef Trail. She does a great job and has great pictures and tips.

http://ramblinghemlock.blogspot.com/2015/12/permian-reef-geology-trail-in-guadalupe.html
Referencing trip reports from outside BBC is fine, as long as the author is cool with it. If they aren't, then they shouldn't make their blogs public.  :icon_wink:

Besides, the author may just be a member here...
we got specific instructions on water source locations from the Big Bend Chat website

Offline wrangler88

• Roadrunner
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 08:17:54 PM »

Referencing trip reports from outside BBC is fine, as long as the author is cool with it. If they aren't, then they shouldn't make their blogs public.  :icon_wink:

Besides, the author may just be a member here...
we got specific instructions on water source locations from the Big Bend Chat website

Thanks for the clarification. I had honestly only read her couple GUMO trip reports; which were great. But I just read her OML one. I came across her blog because of her hammock camping but her OML one was good as well.

(I'll say this here, quietly .... while I have been to BB a couple times and appreciate it, there is something about Guadalupe Mountains that causes me to have some sort of infatuation with those mountains. I mainly lurk on this site to get my GUMO fix. Don't tell anyone. Or judge me too harshly.)

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2017, 09:29:37 PM »
Ever been after a big rain?

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2017 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!