Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Any GUMO Trips Planned?

• 39 Replies

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
Re: Any GUMO Trips Planned?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2017, 09:54:27 PM »
Ever been after a big rain?

https://youtu.be/mPNBZt_RjXc?t=4m40s
In this video we were there at the end of September 2014. I believe the park had gotten something like 8 - 10 inches of rain a few days before we got there. They had the majority of the backcountry closed but opened McKittrick Canyon the day we got there. The water was flowing pretty good, especially for the mouth of the canyon.

It has never actually rained while I was there. I wouldn't mind a decent rain on my next trip.

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 06:27:13 PM »
wrangler88,
Regarding infatuation with the Guadalupes, I'm right there with you.  Maybe it's an odd sense of personal ownership, or the memories of good trips that draw us back.  I was thinking that in your case, GM has the advantage of being closer than BB, but was amazed that, per Googlemaps, the distance from Ft Worth to either park is identical: 489 miles.  I hadn't checked it before, but I'm actually 50 miles closer to BBNP than to GMNP.  Hmmm...

Regarding the rain, the old joke is no joke: the west Texas rancher was asked how much rain he got last year, and he replied, "Oh, about ten inches.  And I remember the night it came!"
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 12:12:31 AM »
wrangler88,
Regarding infatuation with the Guadalupes, I'm right there with you.  Maybe it's an odd sense of personal ownership, or the memories of good trips that draw us back.  I was thinking that in your case, GM has the advantage of being closer than BB, but was amazed that, per Googlemaps, the distance from Ft Worth to either park is identical: 489 miles.  I hadn't checked it before, but I'm actually 50 miles closer to BBNP than to GMNP.  Hmmm...

Regarding the rain, the old joke is no joke: the west Texas rancher was asked how much rain he got last year, and he replied, "Oh, about ten inches.  And I remember the night it came!"

Yeah they're both about the same distance from me. I don't know what it is. I guess a sense of ownership maybe. I have noticed a ton more people the past few times I've been out there. Might just be the days I'm going. Even with the campground packed, I hardly see anyone in the back country. Especially past Hunter Peak/Pine Top.

Honestly GUMO seems simpler to me. I feel like I have the whole trail system completely memorized. That may be part of it. Just a familiarity I guess.

Offline juanff2006

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2018, 05:59:13 PM »
wrangler88,

Yeah they're both about the same distance from me. I don't know what it is. I guess a sense of ownership maybe. I have noticed a ton more people the past few times I've been out there. Might just be the days I'm going. Even with the campground packed, I hardly see anyone in the back country. Especially past Hunter Peak/Pine Top.

Honestly GUMO seems simpler to me. I feel like I have the whole trail system completely memorized. That may be part of it. Just a familiarity I guess.

Do you have any plans for GUMO in September?

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2018, 09:35:41 PM »
wrangler88,

The earliest I'll be there is November. But it may be winter before I make it out.

Offline Hookim

• Roadrunner
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2018, 07:32:12 PM »
wrangler88,

The earliest I'll be there is November. But it may be winter before I make it out.
I'm down for Winter at GUMO. I've never been. My car insists on turning South.

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2018, 09:05:08 PM »
Next week.

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2018, 03:18:15 AM »
Next week.

Anything interesting?
I should be going Newyears eve.

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2018, 08:32:37 AM »
Naw, nothing really new. I'm figuring it'll be crowded due to colors so will head to the north side, if it's full I'll maybe stay in LNF. I may or may not backpack; Marcus BC is one of the last of the ones I've never seen. I just hit the big 6-0 yesterday, so for my birthday i gave myself a vacation:  "I've got 8 days vacation and am gonna head to GUMO for a while but maybe other places." THink I'm going to start in Seminole canyon for a day, GUMO, may even visit a friend in Santa Fe. Retiring Dec 31, so some friends and I have a Big Bend trip scheduled for Jan.

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2018, 01:34:42 PM »
Naw, nothing really new. I'm figuring it'll be crowded due to colors so will head to the north side, if it's full I'll maybe stay in LNF. I may or may not backpack; Marcus BC is one of the last of the ones I've never seen. I just hit the big 6-0 yesterday, so for my birthday i gave myself a vacation:  "I've got 8 days vacation and am gonna head to GUMO for a while but maybe other places." THink I'm going to start in Seminole canyon for a day, GUMO, may even visit a friend in Santa Fe. Retiring Dec 31, so some friends and I have a Big Bend trip scheduled for Jan.

Oh awesome. Congratulations. I would love to visit Seminole Canyon. Its just way out of the way to anywhere for me.

Marcus is a cool campsite. Way different then every other site out there. And when I was there a couple nights, I never had the feeling that anyone else would ever walk by. The only thing that bothered me was that, what I'm guessing was a trail crew, left a bunch of trash and building supplies out there behind the campground.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!