Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Anyone in Guadalupe 3/30?

• 3 Replies

Offline John_E

• Kangaroo Rat
Anyone in Guadalupe 3/30?
« on: March 15, 2018, 10:07:05 AM »
Trying to do a cross park backpacking trip at Guadalupe from 3/30 to 4/2 starting from Pine Springs to Dog Canyon and ending at the McKittrick Ridge trailhead.

Long shot, but I was hoping someone would be in the park that might be wiling to give me a lift from the McKittrick trailhead to Pine Springs early AM on 3/30 after I shuttle my truck.

Thanks!

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
Re: Anyone in Guadalupe 3/30?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 09:37:56 AM »
I hope you'll let us know how this works out.  It is as you say, a long shot, because no one is likely to be leaving McKittrick in the morning, to give you a ride back to the trail head after you drop your truck.  If you had a little scooter or bicycle, maybe you could ride back in that way, and leave it locked up at Pine Spring.  Otherwise, you'll have to take a chance on thumbing a ride from McKittrick to Pine Spring on the afternoon of 4/2 when you come out.  I've had some luck doing this, but on a Saturday when there are more tourists about.  My last outing was in-and-out from McKittrick parking lot, and I was sure glad I had my own vehicle waiting for me. 
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline John_E

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 12:39:16 PM »
backpacker56 will do!

There's definitely some complications with permitting etc that would make the whole thing way easier with two cars. It's such a long drive from Houston it just didn't make any sense to take two vehicles unless absolutely necessary.

It would also be easier to do the whole route in reverse and go in McKittrick and out at Pine Springs as it would be easier to catch a ride. I definitely don't relish making that climb up to McKittridge ridge with two days water. Ugh.

Luckily, it looks like someone has come through with a lift and I'm all set. If it doesn't work out I'll change plans and go with a big loop.

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 06:33:14 PM »
I absolutely agree about not wanting to backpack McKittrick to Pine Spring.  You could do it, but it's so much better to go the other way.  However, going from McKittrick to Pine Spring does offer the advantage of making it easier to leave your truck at Pine Spring and hitch a ride over to McKittrick. 

It's nice having certainty about your transport, but I also think there's something cool about launching out from PS with no safety net, just trusting that somehow you'll get a lift back up to PS.

I'm glad someone came through for you, and it looks like you're all set.  Hope to see your trip report.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 10:01:54 PM by backpacker56 »
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!