Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

carlsbad or guadulupe

• 11 Replies

Offline mr&mrstigerwrangler

• Roadrunner
carlsbad or guadulupe
« on: April 14, 2019, 02:50:57 PM »
So normally i do big bend and have done the Guadalupe peak but this time we have to do smaller hikes because i had a bad behind the knee injury so gotta get outta the city and set myself right again.  We will be gone for 3-4 days during this time. next Sunday yeah.  Big bend seems a little hot right now and ive been in the house so much not good with the heat yet.  So we are looking at Carlsbad at this moment but could do Guadalupe area also.  Carlsbad doesn't seem to have a place to sleep though.  Im a little concerned with the sleeping arrangements.  and don't want to drive 40 minutes away to sleep unless you all know a place possibly closer.  If anyone has ideas for 3-4 days please let me know.   

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Re: carlsbad or guadulupe
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 04:46:53 PM »
Good to hear from you guys
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

• Roadrunner
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 07:10:40 PM »
Thanks and you as well.  Any suggestions on my question? Trying to make it mellow because of my injury and not so ok on up/ down. So need camping sites so dont have to put tent up/ down and short day hikes. I know I'm not quite ok but gotta get back out there to get my sanity back, lol. Nothing like nature as you know. Still hiking with your friend?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Online steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 07:34:54 PM »
Carlsbad you can sleep at White's City which is only minutes from the park entrance

• Roadrunner
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 08:39:14 PM »
Campground or hotel?

Offline RockDoc

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 10:21:19 PM »
I have stayed in Whiteís City multiple times as a point of access to GUMO. Basic hotel there. Basic but good. Not a long drive to The Park. Mckittrick Canyon entry is closer and a good basic hike. A little further to main park entry but not to far.

Offline Lissa

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 10:44:58 PM »
Just throwing other ideas out there but what about the Davis Mountains? Havenít camped there (stayed at the lodge) but itís a beautiful area with neat stuff around, and definitely some fun hikes in the range youíre looking at.  We hiked up and along the ridge to the west with some nice views to the observatory, and you can also hike from the park across the ridge to the Fort / town. 

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 08:55:44 AM »
As far as I know, Pine Springs is about it, if you want easy tent camping with higher, cooler elevation.  Easter weekend will probably be busy, though.  If you managed to snag a tent site, you could drive over to Carlsbad Caverns one day.  Are you familiar with the Caverns?  The trail is smoothly paved all the way, but there's a lot of downhill from the natural entrance.  With your knee problem you'd perhaps want to take the elevator down to the Big Room rather than using the natural entrance.  After doing the Big Room, if your knee feels good, and likes ascending better than descending, you could take the trail uphill and exit from the natural entrance. 

On another day, you could drive from Pine Springs Camp over to McKittrick Canyon.  The canyon floor is fairly level, but you have to hike 2 or 3 miles to get to the nicest parts.  The trail surface is loose gravel and cobbles in places. 

There's also Frijole Ranch, Manzanita Spring and Smith Spring, right close to Pine Springs, although I think the ranch house is closed at this time.  Devil's Hall is also a good dayhike, but a little more demanding.

If you didn't mind driving the extra distance, Dog Canyon would be an alternative destination, but of course that would put Carlsbad Caverns out of reach. 

Otherwise, there's camping in the Lincoln NF, but it's more an off-road adventure.

Sorry to give only the stock answers; I don't know any others.
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 09:34:44 AM »
Agreed with Steelfrog on the White's City motel. I've stayed there a couple times with my young kids. Basic, inexpensive, but perfectly fine. And it's really, really close to the caverns. Also agree with BP56 about the walk down into the caverns. I love it, but I think it would be awfully hard on a recovering knee. The elevator-ride down to and back up from the Big Room is probably your best bet. You'd still get to see the best parts of the main loop. McKittrick Canyon in GUMO is also a good suggestion. It's a gorgeous out-and-back with a gently upward grade: you can give it a shot, and if at any point you feel it's too much, you can turn around and make your way back downhill.

Good luck!
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

• Roadrunner
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 11:39:07 PM »
In carlsbad area and looking for coordinates or blm with area for tents also heard caves nearby. Found out its huge so need coordinates. If anyone knows please let me know

• Roadrunner
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 11:40:17 PM »
You still backpack with your friend we met?

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 08:29:55 AM »
In carlsbad area and looking for coordinates or blm with area for tents also heard caves nearby. Found out its huge so need coordinates. If anyone knows please let me know

Here's a couple I Googled up:

GPS: 32.204698, -104.334665
Elevation: 3650'

Public land campsites. Directly across 62 from 772. Coarse gravel and rock road takes you up into primitive spots -- look for fire rings. Good car camping option around the caverns if you don\'t want to stay in Whites City or drive down to Guadelupe Mountains.

See also this post:
http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/gumo-general-discussion/blm-camp-when-pine-springs-full/msg169430/#msg169430

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!