Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Dog Canyon 5/2-5/6/18

• 11 Replies
Dog Canyon 5/2-5/6/18
« on: May 20, 2018, 12:20:24 PM »
I was in GUMO a couple of weeks ago. I regularly stay three or four days in Dog Canyon, mostly just for a recharge away from work and life. I didn't do too much TR worthy, but I did do the Manzanita Ridge/Manway this time connecting Lost Peak summit and the Marcus overlook on the Bush Mountain trail.

Y'all may recall Dog Canyon had been closed (again!) due to flood damage on the New Mexico side. Well here are the two former bridge/culverts now coverted to low water crossings. Which is good...except there is still one more culvert remaining. So stay tuned.

I usually have the campground to myself and prefer site #6; but alas someone was there, although he ended up sleeping in his car and not actually utilizing the site over night. So I took #9, which is not bad. The campground would get as crowded as I've ever seen it by the time I left Sunday--four sites taken.

Stoopid iphone never gets the timezone right. This results in photos showing up in the wrong order, as the phone goes from MT to CT willy-nilly. Speaking of technology, there is wifi in the campground (yay? I dunno) but no cell. Due to a deadline I had to meet, I had to login to a site that used second-factor authentication, which meant I suddenly needed cell access to do this simple task online. I have ATT service and found a small spot of connectivity 19.5 miles north of the park bounday, right between that Lincoln National Forest Admin site and the nearby cattle guard. So I didn't have to drive all teh way to Carlsbad to get a connection.

Here's the familiar trailhead for the two trails which enter/exit Dog Canyon campground. I've done the Tejas trail up toward Lost Peak, and the Bush Mountain trail up to the overlook many, many times so I didn't take many pictures along those sections. But I hadn't done the Lost Peak summit to the overlook before, so that was all new to me. (Water faucet is just to the left of this photo.)

Along the hike to LP summit.

***Continued***

Re: Dog Canyon 5/2-5/6/18
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 12:28:28 PM »
Now this was a bit confusing: a blocked use trail (understandable) with an official NPS trail sign (huh?) I spoke with a camphost later about this; it was definitely blocked but I am still a little fuzzy on the details. Anyway, I continued on the lower (left) trail just a bit further to where Tejas hits the rim there then turns off toward McKittrick Canyon or the Mescalero backcountry site.

Pano of same:

Looking SSE where the trail heads on to the McKittrick junction. You can see a horse tie down.

I followed what I thought was a use trail along the ridge for about fifty yards, but it must have been a game trail and it soon pinched out along the cliff. I thought "this is nuts" and stopped and spotted a cairn directly above me about thirty feet. I scrambled up to it, and that was the last time I had to use my hands. (THat should be the Marcus trail down there.)

From there, up to the summit, and later all the way to Marcus overlook it was just a matter of finding the next cairn. Some of them are hard to find due to fairly high grass/scrub. There's a big cairn at the summit.

pano

Looking back down Dog Canyon

Another pano

Looking Northwest.

Looking south, is that Bush Mountain? Or something else...I dunno.

Partway down the Manzanita ridge and looking back up to Lost Peak, here's a good look at what the scramble is like. It really is not difficult route finding at all, especially if you've been to the Marcus overlook before. But even if not, you *know* you're just following a ridgeline, and you *have* to cross the Bush Mountain trail eventually. But apparently some people still get lost, at least one has turned down (right) too early and ended up down the wrong arroyo.

THis is near the overlook. You can see the trail ahead, and another horse tie down.

As I said, I've done the rest of the trail maybe ten times so I didn't take any more photos.
Back at the campground. For some reason I could just sit and stare for hours at the canyon wall in the late afternoon. It has an almost Zen garden feeling.

Late that afternoon I took my dinner and a couple of beers with me and did the little Indian Meadows hike, a nature loop about a mile long at the campground. I've always found it a pleasant place, and at sunrise/sunset you can often spot wildlife. Years ago someone decided it was a good idea to put a bench at the high point of the trail; I used to think it was kind of trashy but have come to appreciate it as a nice place to just sit, look, and listen.
(This trail used to have numbered posts for use with a trail guide, as nature trails often do. But a fire wiped that all out and it's take years for the NPS to restore the trail.)

A lot of buzzards roost around the campground.

That's all, folks!

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 12:34:51 PM »
Addendum:
I was pretty impressed with this little two panel solar charger. Even works *inside* the vehicle, to a degree.
Solar charger:

And on a whim, while leaving the park on a Sunday morning I thought, "Huh, haven't been to Carlsbad Caverns in over thirty years. Time to revisit." And I am glad I did; it was more spectacular than I recalled. Turns out they got some creative type to re-illuminate the place with modern LEDs and my jaw was on the ground the entire hike.

Carlsbad Caverns:

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 01:56:34 PM »
Nice report. I have taken that same sketchy game trail around Lost peak. I couldn't believe that was the trail. Until I realized it wasn't. Still really fun.

I think that one mountain is the Blue Ridge and not Bush Mountain. But I could be wrong.

I also really enjoyed the Indian meadow nature trail. Even being worn out from a hard day of hiking, I really enjoyed it. Would have been better had I had the beers you had. But I did have some Makers Mark later that night.

Can't wait to revisit Dog Canyon later this year. I really enjoy that side of the park.
Thanks again for the pictures.

Online JordanFiveOh

• Kangaroo Rat
Dog Canyon 5/2-5/6/18
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 01:59:37 PM »
Excellent report, and great photos! I always mean to take representative photos of the hikes and routes that I do, but I always get distracted and donít wanna take the big camera out, so I never do. Itís much appreciated.

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 02:43:02 PM »
Really nice report, AG. Makes me want to be there right now. But I'm still trying to get over this bit:

Speaking of technology, there is wifi in the campground (yay? I dunno) but no cell.

I guess I'm just an old fart.  But I'm not opposed to ALL technology. The new lighting in Carlsbad Caverns looks amazing. That must have been added since my last trip there, seven or eight years ago, when I took my kids to climb Guadalupe Peak and then we spent a day at the caverns. Need to get my wife out there, too, She's the only member of the family that has neither summitted the peak nor visited the caverns.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:07:02 PM by House Made of Dawn »
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 09:12:07 AM »
Yes AG, thanks a million for the trip report.  Desperation had forced me into re-reading old trip reports.
So it appears one of your photos includes the bench mark at Lost Peak?  This benchmark is indicated on maps, but not on the NGSDataExplorer interactive map.
https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/NGSDataExplorer/

It would be nice if someone could submit this bench mark to the NGS so they could set up a data sheet for it.
Did you take a close-up picture of the bench mark?
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline Solo

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 11:25:42 AM »
Yes AG, thanks a million for the trip report.  Desperation had forced me into re-reading old trip reports.
So it appears one of your photos includes the bench mark at Lost Peak?  This benchmark is indicated on maps, but not on the NGSDataExplorer interactive map.
https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/NGSDataExplorer/

It would be nice if someone could submit this bench mark to the NGS so they could set up a data sheet for it.
Did you take a close-up picture of the bench mark?

You mean this photo?

It's only the witness marker; I don't see the BM, or have a photo from my visit, which suggests it may have been stolen like Guadalupe.  This is a close-up:

'Tis distance lends enchantment to the view, and robes the mountain in its azure hue.  -Thomas Campbell

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 01:02:23 PM »
Right, thanks.  I was (incorrectly) using the term "bench mark" in the broadest sense.  The correct term according to NGS is "survey mark" or "station".  It isn't a bench mark unless it the elevation has been confirmed.  Terminology seems a little confusing, as are map symbols.  Typically a small triangle on a topo map indicates a triangulation station, which means a bronze disk, permanently mounted, with a known latitude and longitude.  Topo maps seem to be more a function of USGS rather than NGS, which are different agencies.

So your photo shows a "U.S. Geological Survey" monument on Lost Peak, whereas the one on Hunter Peak reads "U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey Triangulation Station".  Maybe that's why the Lost Peak monument is not in the NGS system, because it was placed by the Geological survey rather than the Geodetic?.
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 01:38:37 PM »

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 04:08:04 PM »
Really nice report, AG. Makes me want to be there right now. But I'm still trying to get over this bit:

Speaking of technology, there is wifi in the campground (yay? I dunno) but no cell.

I guess I'm just an old fart.  But I'm not opposed to ALL technology. The new lighting in Carlsbad Caverns looks amazing. That must have been added since my last trip there, seven or eight years ago, when I took my kids to climb Guadalupe Peak and then we spent a day at the caverns. Need to get my wife out there, too, She's the only member of the family that has neither summitted the peak nor visited the caverns.

Yeah, I specifically asked about the lighting and he said two or three years ago.

Offline Solo

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 04:51:53 PM »
Edit:  I'm continuing this sub-thread over in the Bench Mark Photos thread so as not to pollute AGs trip report.

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/gumo-general-discussion/bench-mark-photos/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:59:31 PM by Solo »
'Tis distance lends enchantment to the view, and robes the mountain in its azure hue.  -Thomas Campbell

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!