Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Any GUMO Trips Planned?

• 56 Replies

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Re: Any GUMO Trips Planned?
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2018, 12:45:51 PM »

(Edited to clarify "Seminole Canyon" not just "Seminole" which are two quite different places.)

The behavior of the screamer was an animal making it's way down the canyon, on the East side of me if you're familiar with the campground at Dog Canyon. About ten seconds of scream maybe a few hundred yards south and east; then about ten minutes another ten-15 seconds of scream even with me, then a bit later even further down the canyon. Behavior might be consistent with an animal advertising for a mate. Need to find some youtube of more bobcat screams; maybe the lion.

My dogs, who have never even seen a house cat, did not like the video when I played it.

Hahahaha!  My wife and daughter jumped out of their skins when I previewed it on my laptop last night. They thought something was killing our chickens.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »
We have a new puppy and when I played it the wife asked "Is that you?".

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2018, 05:09:42 PM »
Oh how would you like to hear that sound during a solo night hike?!

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2018, 05:10:51 PM »
I should be at GUMO on new years eve if all goes as planned. Anyone else be around there at that time?

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2018, 06:24:18 PM »

When I heard that sound in the Chisos, I was on my first solo backpack up there. I came up the Pinnacles and hit Boot Canyon right about dusk. First thing I saw was a HUGE Black Bear trying to get a drink from a reservoir at the corral, less than a quarter mile from my reserved campsite. The bear took one look at me and lumbered off upcanyon. That set the mood for the night to follow. Later, around 10pm, as I was falling asleep inside my bivy sack, I heard a scream exactly like the one in the video link I posted. Suffice it to say, I didn't sleep much that night.  :icon_eek:

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2018, 09:46:57 AM »
Never mind.  It sucks getting old...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:54:56 AM by elhombre »
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2018, 11:11:03 PM »
Agreed

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2018, 08:38:28 AM »
I should be at GUMO on new years eve if all goes as planned. Anyone else be around there at that time?

Do you have a plan for 1-1-2019? I might do that day there, and would be going off trail somewhere
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2018, 09:28:09 AM »
Probably ruin your sleeping bag!  I've been safe home in bed and been startled awake by domestic cats suddenly yowling outside the bedroom window, and found it profoundly unsettling.  Change that to a tent, wilderness, alone, and a panther instead of a house cat, and I'd expect a serious dampening of one's zeal for outdoor adventure.  My hat's off to HMOD for having survived such a trial.
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2018, 10:04:26 AM »
I'd expect a serious dampening...

:icon_biggrin: That's why I always bring a second pair of underwear.

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »

Do you have a plan for 1-1-2019? I might do that day there, and would be going off trail somewhere

I'm actually going to go the week before xmas now. I didnt realize how long my kids are out of school and I'm going to take them camping somewhere close on New Years.

I'm definitely going to try something off trail. I have several ideas but no real plans.

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2018, 12:00:01 PM »
I didnt realize how long my kids are out of school and I'm going to take them camping somewhere close on New Years.

+1, Wrangler. Good for you! 

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!