Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Full video of Backpacking McKittrick Ridge September 2018

• 6 Replies

Offline Clint Turner

• Kangaroo Rat
Full video of Backpacking McKittrick Ridge September 2018
« on: December 01, 2018, 08:06:59 AM »
Hey guys, here is another one of my videos that may help you guys plan a successful hike to the McKittrick Ridge at Guadelupe Mountains National Park.  This is another challenging trail that is worth the views. Also I'd like to applaud Ultralight Outdoors and Bluecollar Backcountry for their videos on YouTube that helped me plan my trip this year. I hope you enjoy!

Offline Dale Norte

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Full video of Backpacking McKittrick Ridge September 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 11:25:33 AM »
Great video. Really captured the beauty of the canyon. Some buddies and I camped there a few years ago on a cross-park hike from Pine Spring to McKittrick. Ate dinner on that same outcrop you were filming from, and had the added treat of watching a super moon rise and illuminate the canyon.  Going down hill into McKittrick I was sure glad that I didnít have to hike up that trail. Itís relentless. Kudos to you on completing a tough hike and thanks for sharing the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 12:28:44 PM »
Thanks, Clint!  Enjoyed the video.  Video does such a better job than stills in giving a sense of the space.  You tackled what is probably the hardest itinerary in the park, going up to McKittrick Ridge campsite for an overnighter.

I guess trail condition is a matter of point of view.  I thought it was a pretty good trail in comparison with National Forest/Wilderness trails that seem to get little or no maintenance.  I think there are basically two trail construction standards in the park: the Horseback/Wheelchair trails, and the Foot trails.  The McKittrick trail down at the bottom is of the former type, as is the Guadalupe Peak trail, and other trails on the front side of the park, whereas the upper McKittrick Trail is definitely a footpath.  The Wheelchair trails are okay, almost city sidewalks, but I prefer a narrow footpath as more aesthetically pleasing.  The deep rounded gravel surface at the mouth of the canyon saps my strength worse than the rough and rocky bits later on.

The views into McKittrick from the top of the ridge and from the saddle make me think of volcanic island in the Pacific.  The jagged gray rock with greenery clinging wherever it can.  The Guadalupes are limestone, not volcanic, but the appearance seems similar.

Anyway, thanks a million for taking the time to make and edit and post the video.  I'm glad you enjoyed your adventure and let us come along for the ride.
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline Clint Turner

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 01:56:06 PM »
Great video. Really captured the beauty of the canyon. Some buddies and I camped there a few years ago on a cross-park hike from Pine Spring to McKittrick. Ate dinner on that same outcrop you were filming from, and had the added treat of watching a super moon rise and illuminate the canyon.  Going down hill into McKittrick I was sure glad that I didnít have to hike up that trail. Itís relentless. Kudos to you on completing a tough hike and thanks for sharing the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Hey thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the video! I bet that was amazing to see with the supermoon. I've been wanting to do that same itinerary and it would be great to avoid the climb up to the ridge.  This was only my second trip to GUMO so hopefully i can make it happen soon!

Offline Clint Turner

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »
Thanks, Clint!  Enjoyed the video.  Video does such a better job than stills in giving a sense of the space.  You tackled what is probably the hardest itinerary in the park, going up to McKittrick Ridge campsite for an overnighter.

I guess trail condition is a matter of point of view.  I thought it was a pretty good trail in comparison with National Forest/Wilderness trails that seem to get little or no maintenance.  I think there are basically two trail construction standards in the park: the Horseback/Wheelchair trails, and the Foot trails.  The McKittrick trail down at the bottom is of the former type, as is the Guadalupe Peak trail, and other trails on the front side of the park, whereas the upper McKittrick Trail is definitely a footpath.  The Wheelchair trails are okay, almost city sidewalks, but I prefer a narrow footpath as more aesthetically pleasing.  The deep rounded gravel surface at the mouth of the canyon saps my strength worse than the rough and rocky bits later on.

The views into McKittrick from the top of the ridge and from the saddle make me think of volcanic island in the Pacific.  The jagged gray rock with greenery clinging wherever it can.  The Guadalupes are limestone, not volcanic, but the appearance seems similar.

Anyway, thanks a million for taking the time to make and edit and post the video.  I'm glad you enjoyed your adventure and let us come along for the ride.

Thanks for watching and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Everyone warned me that this trail was challenging, but my previous 2 trips were the Grand Canyon rim to rim and Mt Whitney in California, so my confidence was really high.  But man it really wiped me out though...it made me humble for sure.  I also got spoiled on the trail conditions at the Grand Canyon...its like a highway and you can cover ground really quick.  The climb up to McKittrick ridge just has to be taken a little slower...amazing trail though!

And I agree with your thoughts on it looking like the South Pacific...it looks like that one section belongs on the island of Kauai!

Thanks again!

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 07:56:14 PM »
Thanks for posting the video Clint. I already commented on YouTube a good while back. But great video. Those massive cliffs deep in Mckittrick are truly amazing.

Offline Clint Turner

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 08:28:30 PM »
Thanks for posting the video Clint. I already commented on YouTube a good while back. But great video. Those massive cliffs deep in Mckittrick are truly amazing.

Yes sir they are! I'm thinking about heading back out west during the break in the holidays...I'm just trying to decide if I want to do GUMO or BBNP!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!