Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Guadalupe Ridge Trail Thru Hike - Sept. 2019

• 62 Replies

Offline Minimal

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Guadalupe Ridge Trail Thru Hike - Sept. 2019
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 07:08:14 PM »
I obviously didn't hide the caches well enough, but I still can't believe the one at Dark Canyon was missing. The area seemed so remote when I dropped the caches off that I guess I talked myself into hiding them "good enough". The one at 540 was the one I was really concerned with since that area gets a lot of camping and ATV traffic. But with the cattle tank in the area I knew that we had a back up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Minimal

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 07:13:50 PM »
The caches were placed off trail (road) behind rocks and fallen tree limbs. Each was labelled with "Hiker Water - Please Do Not Disturb" with our names and dates. In hindsight, the white plastic jugs probably jumped out to anyone driving by. In the future I'll paint the jugs to blend in better or maybe even bury them. I cache often on the Ouachita Trail and have never had issue, but obviously in the desert caches are much more critical.

Offline Dale Norte

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 07:18:04 PM »
I'm concerned about the missing caches as well, but I'm also concerned about the decision to separate.  I think your partner has posted here and I'm not going to criticize too harshly based on the little bit of information in your post (maybe you told him to go ahead), but I disagree with this move on a 2-man trek.  Even in situations where one is on the same clearly marked trail, it can take a lot of enjoyment out of a hike when you get to that inevitable point of worrying about reconnecting.  Worse, in your situation, your partner also had the important navigating and water cache information, and he knew that you were somewhat low on water.  I'm also guessing this far into the trip it was evident that you weren't as knowledgeable about the route as your hiking partner, and that he had taken on the navigator role.  I know we all individually need to be responsible for ourselves in the wilderness and you have a healthy amount of experience - you clearly made good decisions to correct your wrong turn -  but all the negative energy associated with this day could have been resolved by him waiting an additional 10 minutes for you.   

Rant over - apologies in advance if I'm reading this situation too harshly.  I guess I'm a fan of sticking together when in an unfamiliar place.

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 07:58:19 PM »
I dont blame Todd for the water caches or for us getting separated. It's my fault if I made my post sound that way.
I should have known the route more. I had become used to navigating being so easy because he had the GPS track. And I know if Todd thought there was a tricky section coming soon, he would have waited for me. The real GRT route that i should have followed is easy to follow at this point. I just got confused when i got to the unmarked trail that wasnt on his waypoint page that i had printed.

I was really glad that he waited for me at the water cache site. As that's what I would expect of him. I also feel like I personally have enough experience that I feel comfortable reading maps and figuring out where I am and how to get where i need to be. It all worked out. And has ended up a story after the fact. The only real concern I had was water. Which I would have found if things got REALLY drastic. (Small scummy pools in the washes).

I never felt in danger as though I wasnt going to make it out of the situation or anything. Todd did a great job navigating and putting the trip together. I just got to comfortable with that when really I should have studied the route more prior to and during the trip.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2019, 08:07:05 AM »
The caches were placed off trail (road) behind rocks and fallen tree limbs. Each was labelled with "Hiker Water - Please Do Not Disturb" with our names and dates. In hindsight, the white plastic jugs probably jumped out to anyone driving by. In the future I'll paint the jugs to blend in better or maybe even bury them. I cache often on the Ouachita Trail and have never had issue, but obviously in the desert caches are much more critical.

I am still shocked that someone would take them labeled as they were.  Locals hostile to a new trail coming through bringing strangers?
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Keepa

• Coyote
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2019, 09:28:36 AM »
Todd's decision to go ahead of you was a mistake and could have resulted in your death. There was no reason for it, especially since both of you were aware that you were not confident and prepared to self-navigate. You should have asked him to wait for you.  I am glad it worked out in the end, but that was a closer call than you think it was.

As for water, it is a common misconception to conserve water when faced with a water shortage, but you should drink your water as you normally would.

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 10:02:06 AM »

I agree that you should not have split up.  At the very least, you should have agreed that who ever went first would wait for the other one at any point where the trail made a turn off.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 11:46:20 AM »

I agree that you should not have split up.  At the very least, you should have agreed that who ever went first would wait for the other one at any point where the trail made a turn off.

That is how we always do it, stop at the first trail jct. and wait for the folks coming from behind.
no shade, no water

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2019, 12:46:12 PM »
Its just crazy reading about two hidden caches being found by someone and then removed. What are the chances of that happening? I would have been freaked out.

I agree with other comments about splitting up. Better to stick together or agree on a meet up spot not too far up the trail. With regular hiking friends the agreement to split up is usually made with certain understandings and if details are lacking, someone will usually speak up and ask questions. But not everyone works this way. Both have been open about their mistakes.

Great report and photos.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2019, 12:53:25 PM »
Its just crazy reading about two hidden caches being found by someone and then removed. What are the chances of that happening? I would have been freaked out.

Within the realm of possibilities is, for whatever reason, failing to locate the exact spot where the cache is hidden.   :eusa_think:

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2019, 02:09:24 PM »
This is the YouTube video of days 1 & 2.

I'm going to take a couple days before I post days 5 & 6 part of the trip report so that I do them justice (best days of the trip) and don't just hurry through them to get this over with.
At this point, I probably should have just went with the vanilla trip report of here is where we stayed, this was the trail, and everything was fun.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2019, 03:11:07 PM »
At this point, I probably should have just went with the vanilla trip report of here is where we stayed, this was the trail, and everything was fun.

Nooooooo!!!!  You are doing a great job and there is never too much detail or description.  As The Wild West Guy would say, this kind of report from a relatively unknown trail is like gold.   :eusa_clap:
no shade, no water

Offline Dale Norte

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2019, 04:47:42 PM »

I'm guessing your regret is because I rolled a hand-grenade into the middle of your TR - sorry Wrangler.  I'm actually a big fan of your explorations in the Guads and your YouTube channel.  I certainly didn't intend to cause you any heartburn.  I felt compelled to mention the separation thing because it seemed like a party foul.  Don't let unsolicited opinions from the likes of me spoil the sharing of your report.  My feelings about the magic of GUMO are similar to yours, and I concur with ME: a GRT trip report is like gold - please keep it coming!

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2019, 08:45:43 AM »
Ok, one day gone. Waiting.....

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Keepa

• Coyote
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2019, 11:33:08 AM »

Don't be discouraged. One reason candid trip reports are important is that we all learn good and bad things from them, and discussions of them often lead to new insights and awareness.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!