Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

GUMO or Bust!

• 140 Replies
GUMO or Bust!
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2007, 10:26:06 AM »
I'm with ya there...I dislike flying too...

I hope to head out to BB this Monday...the roads should be clear then

Have a good trip Randell

John

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
GUMO or Bust!
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2007, 10:29:03 AM »
I really like my hiking outfit, but I am concerned I may have a hard time getting my backpack to stay on...

There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
GUMO or Bust!
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2007, 10:55:05 AM »
Quote from: "randell"
Quote from: "bdann"
Randell, I think you're gonna have a hard time just getting there!  Stay safe!

sonofamotherfriggin gpoomonkey!  I hate flying!  My last three flights have been disasters.  This one isn't looking good either.

So just drive out there!  It's only 713 miles, give or take a few!  You could drive that in the time it'll take them to de-ice the plane (and the plane in front of you, and the one in front of it, etc).

chisos_muse

GUMO or Bust!
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2007, 02:15:19 PM »
I really like my hiking outfit, but I am concerned I may have a hard time getting my backpack to stay on...

Backpack! Shoot, looks like you can fit everything you need in that thing, and when you need to go to sleep, just fall down! :lol:

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
GUMO or Bust!
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2007, 02:32:48 PM »
Quote from: "chisos_muse"

Backpack! Shoot, looks like you can fit everything you need in that thing, and when you need to go to sleep, just fall down! :lol:

and if you get blown off the  mountain....you might just BOUNCE!!!
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
GUMO or Bust!
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2007, 09:31:43 PM »
That outfit's not going to keep your sandwiches warm ....

and if you get blown off the mountain....you might just BOUNCE!!!

But at least NORAD will be able to track you if you get caught up in the wind.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
GUMO or Bust!
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2007, 09:58:48 PM »
Hey :!: ...I like that suit, Randell...it gives me ideas :!: ..where is the link to it :?:
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
GUMO or Bust!
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2007, 10:07:19 PM »
Homero, I'd love to see you in this thing!
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
GUMO or Bust!
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2007, 10:29:06 PM »
Quote from: "Al"
Perhaps then we should comment on Randall's agenda.  

What I would do is get there.  If driving from El Paso, one can see if a cloud is hanging over the mountain as you turn to climb into the park.  If that's the case, chances are reduced to have the VIEW after climbing up there.  WHAT'S WRONG WITH SEEING CARSLBAD CAVERNS and McKittrick Canyon that day.  Hike to the back of McKittrick and try hiking up the trail at the butt end up into the bowl*.  It is one steep SOB.  

Assess the situation.  

The bad news is you end up sleeping in the campground at Pine Springs.  The good news is you are not suffering for no good reason and get to see a lot more.

Next day:  Do the day hike to the highest point in Texas.

Just a thought.

Al

* OK OK, it may not be the bowl, but you know what I mean.  It's up in the pines.

I have thought about changing plans, but I doubt we will unless my partner wants too.  It was his idea to go to GUMO and do the peak.  I wanted to go to BIBE.  Carlsbad Caverns!  I saw that when I was six months old!  Wouldn't be anything challenging about that.  I thought about doing the peak on Sat-Sun, but I'm afraid we wouldn't get off the peak in time to catch our plane home.

Although I'm in no shape to do it now, in my 20's and 30's we always day hiked the peak.  Now for the . . . I remember part . . .  they had just put in the superhighway trail up the back of Guadalupe Peak, which means I was in my late 20's. My two buds and I were working our way up the trail and a retired couple in their 60's quickly caught up with us from behind.  We chatted briefly and they told us they were climbing to the highest point in every state during their retirement.  

We were still climbing up as they came down.  We were impressed.  Anyway, you can do it as a day hike.  The bad news is you need to stay in Pine Canyon Campground the first and perhaps the second night.  The good news is the campsites at PC are much improved over what they were some years ago.  I would consider it as a reasonable alternative.  

We always looked at the GP campsite and commented on why the heck was the campsite so exposed and anyone would want to camp there as we walked by it.  Never had the urge to spend the night there.

Al

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
GUMO or Bust!
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2007, 10:39:25 PM »

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
GUMO or Bust!
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2007, 10:40:43 PM »
Yup, I did GP as a dayhike for New Years 2000.  We stayed in Pine Canyon before and after as you mentioned.  Even at Pine Canyon it was the coldest, windiest camping I've ever done.

If our flight is delayed too much, we may just end up doing it as a dayhike on Saturday.  We shall see what happens tomorrow...

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
GUMO or Bust!
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2007, 08:16:13 AM »

I know. Thing is, that if go inside one of those and start dancing in the streets like the dude in the yellow bag, people are going to start shouting at me: Hi, Michelin man :!:  :!:

The beauty of this....is that they are selling them. :lol: ..the cherry on top, would have to be the down mask, talk about modern day Dr. Lecter....." Hello Clarisse , miss me :?: "... :twisted:
Stay thirsty, my friends.

BigBendHiker

GUMO or Bust!
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2007, 08:21:17 AM »
That would be a good suit to wear while flying. If the plane happened to crash, one would just bounce when hitting the ground with that on.  (Sorta like the balloons that NASA JPL used to get the Mars Rovers on the ground on Mars a couple of years back)...

BBH

chisos_muse

GUMO or Bust!
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2007, 08:51:21 AM »
Quote from: "homerboy2u2"

I know. Thing is, that if go inside one of those and start dancing in the streets like the dude in the yellow bag, people are going to start shouting at me: Hi, Michelin man :!:  :!:

The beauty of this....is that they are selling them. :lol: ..the cherry on top, would have to be the down mask, talk about modern day Dr. Lecter....." Hello Clarisse , miss me :?: "... :twisted:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!