Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

GUMO Spring Break 2016

• 12 Replies

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
GUMO Spring Break 2016
« on: April 27, 2018, 04:35:57 PM »
It looks like I never got around to posting a report and pics from our Spring Break trip from 2016. I'll at least post some pics. We stayed in Carlsbad at a cheap motel for this trip, and just day-hiked in the park. The highlight was summiting Guadalupe Peak. The lowlight was the bursitis in my left knee which kicked in on the hike up. If I hadn't had trekking poles, they would've had to carry my sorry butt down from the peak. It made future hikes and even just walking a major pain. Oh well, on with the pics!

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: GUMO Spring Break 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 04:44:24 PM »
We checked out the Guadalupe Peak campsites.

This one has a nice view of the trail heading to the summit.  :icon_rolleyes:

The campsite area is visible from the trail, but it's hard to spot the sites without tents there.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 04:49:00 PM »
The next day we did a brief tour of the Frijole Ranch complex before heading over to McKittrick Canyon.

Don't carve on the trees! :pissed:

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 04:52:38 PM »
To finish off the day, we drove out to Sitting Bull Falls. The water was super cold. I was able to wade in and cool off my aching knee.

That's it for the GUMO pics. When I get around to it, I'll post some Carlsbad Cavern pics and ones from the rest of the trip.

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 06:22:29 AM »
Thanks for the report. Loved the pictures. Especially of Sitting Bull Falls. I don't know a lot about it. If I ever have a chance for a car camping trip or to do the backpacking loop that passes it, I definitely want to check it out.

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 08:50:41 AM »
Thanks, Richard!  :eusa_clap:  The forum has been pretty parched lately.  Have you been up above the falls?  Did you go into the cave behind the waterfall?
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 10:14:06 AM »
Thanks, Richard!  :eusa_clap:  The forum has been pretty parched lately.  Have you been up above the falls?  Did you go into the cave behind the waterfall?
My knee was too gimpy to do any scrambling. We did hike up above the falls a bit.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 10:02:08 PM by RichardM »

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 07:09:46 PM »
Thanks for all the pictures. And backpacker56 is right, not a lot going on in the GUMO forum lately. I have something planned for September but won't be there before then. The trip reports and pictures help hold me over until the next trip.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 09:50:01 PM »
These pics are great Richard.

Sent from my Note 8 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 08:39:46 AM »
And backpacker56 is right, not a lot going on in the GUMO forum lately.

Thanks Richard! That is a great report, and the pics are really good. Sitting Bull Falls is a hidden Gem that I have visited since the 70's, off the beaten path and a really cool place to find alone for a swim in the heat. Great stuff to share with you daughter as well. Nicely done! Glad to see someone take longer than me to post a report lol!

I have 3-4 trip reports for GUMO I'll try to get to soon, as least 2 of them anyway.
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 08:43:45 AM »
Some years ago I was at Sitting Bull, up on top above the falls, presumably after a rainy season, as there was a picture-perfect pothole in solid rock, that looked to be 8 or 10 feet deep and filled with crystal-clear water.  The pothole was outside the main stream channel, but the flow was sufficient for some of the water to spill over into this pothole on the upstream side, and then exit from the other, resulting in continuous fresh water.  I regret to this day not having plunged in.  Since that time whenever I've chanced to be there the water level has been lower, cutting off the water supply and leaving the pool stagnant.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:01:00 AM by backpacker56 »
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 08:52:57 AM »
Thanks for the report! Better late than never.
(Just got back from a trip to GUMO myself last week.)
Also, I think the cheap motels in Carlsbad are gone for now; oil field activity has driven the prices through the roof.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 09:11:13 AM »
Also, I think the cheap motels in Carlsbad are gone for now; oil field activity has driven the prices through the roof.
The town was crawling with white pickup trucks when we were there. Our motel was at about 80% capacity. Looking at my credit card statement I spent $287 (with tax) for three nights at the (not so) Great Western Inn. Trivago is showing it's now $130+ per night.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!