Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Secluded camping in or around Guadalupe Mountain National Park?

• 9 Replies

Offline dirtymike

• Roadrunner
« on: December 08, 2016, 04:36:15 PM »

My family and I have a small cricket camper. ( aluminum tent on wheels is all it is) It is semi off road capable. Not doing major trails with it but can "get back there and back" We love dragging it all over Big Bend. Now we need a new view, and want to explore Guadalupe Mountains. I see back country camping sites that are all back pack sites. Are there any car camping back country sites? We head west to get away. I can not imagine camping in a camp ground with someone 30-40 yards away. We can stay outside the park as well. Just want to explore some new area, day hikes, and then head back to base camp. Need some help guys. I read on here someone had a pop up some where mckittrick canyon that seemed to be secluded. HELP!!!

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 05:27:38 PM »
I would check out Dog Canyon Campground on the north side of the park coming in through Queen, New Mexico. They have 4 small RV sites.  We camped there the week before Thanksgiving a few weeks ago and had the entire place to ourselves. Some really nice trails nearby as well.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
Re: Secluded camping in or around Guadalupe Mountain National Park?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 06:47:22 PM »
Also, lots of forest service roads north of the park

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 07:16:58 PM »
Go to the Member List and then to Mountaindocdanny and his posts.  He got posts on some really neat hikes north of the park.   Otherwise there are a bunch of roads and places you can drive to and make a base camp with your trailer. One year when the national park was closed due to no budget we did just that.  There are many roads and places to camp, just don't get lost!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:56:11 PM by Al »

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 10:14:08 PM »
There's only two places to car camp in the park, Pine Springs and Dog Canyon.  Pine Springs will be crowded.  You have a good chance of having Dog Canyon all to yourselves.  3 people at Dog Canyon would be busy for that area. 

Offline bracketboy89

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 07:52:29 AM »
I was there over Thanksgiving for a backpacking trip and we decided to camp the night before our trip on BLM land in New Mexico about 20 minutes away from Pine Springs. Much better than dealing with the crowds. It was secluded and quiet, no oil or gas around. Gypsum dunes and great views of the mountains.

I think it is the closest public land McKitrick Canyon and Pine Springs. Fires are allowed as long as there is no burn ban which is a huge plus, just bring wood as there's none around. The road was kind of rough but I made it fine in 2wd truck, could have pulled a camper pretty easily.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline bracketboy89

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 07:54:46 AM »

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 01:01:01 PM »
This is a little off-topic, but knowing that high winds are legendary in the Guadalupes, is there a way to tie down your little trailer?
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 01:36:02 PM »
Also, check out Camp Wilderness Ridge with views into North McKittrick Canyon. It is just north of the park. Here's a trip report from KevinT where they took their small RV up on the ridge. I think your little RV should make it fine. Looks like a neat place and totally secluded.

Offline dirtymike

• Roadrunner
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 02:48:01 PM »
Also, check out Camp Wilderness Ridge with views into North McKittrick Canyon. It is just north of the park. Here's a trip report from KevinT where they took their small RV up on the ridge. I think your little RV should make it fine. Looks like a neat place and totally secluded.

This is exactly the thread i was talking about. Thank you so much!!

Thank all of you peeps. Yall are always so helpful in trip planning. Thank you thank you thank you!!

And keep em coming, i am sharing these places with the wife.

Strong winds to blow off a trailer? WOW really. Little concerned. This is a 1500lb little Taxa Cricket camper. I hope it will work.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!