Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Texas National Parks Trip Report 23-30 Dec, 2017 - Part 1

• 8 Replies

Offline vgeh

• Jack Rabbit
Texas National Parks Trip Report 23-30 Dec, 2017 - Part 1
« on: January 07, 2018, 09:43:52 PM »
I like to visit less travelled and challenging places for hiking during my vacations. Christmas and new year break is my longest vacation hence I planned road trip and hiking trip together to Texas, New Mexico and Arizona but then it was narrowed down to Texas so that I can fit a multi day trip rather than just day hikes. My vacation too shrunk due to new program launch so Texas only trip seemed fitting to my schedule.

Here is the first part of the trip report for the 3 days I spent at Guadalupe Mountains NP(GUMO). I am not good at writing reports or documents so excuse me. I am also very lazy so don't expect part 2 until end of this week.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jlj1PNwqw5pJFivAVxN_C9VWZSGlxcH7un3crsVdAbU/edit?usp=sharing

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
Re: Texas National Parks Trip Report 23-30 Dec, 2017 - Part 1
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 05:52:10 AM »
Very cool that you were able to do the 4 Peaks plus Hunter Peak. That sounded like a hell of a day. Like I said before, I'd love to do something like that but I think I'd definitely have to make it an overnight trip. Awesome job. As far as the spring you came across, I've never seen a spring near there. Just might not have been flowing while I was there. The Smith spring will flow across the trail but it's farther around the foothills trail.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:23:37 AM »
vgeh, my hats off to you, one tough hiker for sure!   :notworthy:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 10:48:45 AM »
Long, low whistle of amazement. I am awestruck. Vgeh, you just joined a very small and select group of elite hikers. I imagine you could count the number of people that have accomplished the four peaks in one day on less than ten fingers. And those that have done it solo, on less than five. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 01:19:25 PM »
I went back and looked at the map and I guess you probably came across Pine Spring itself. I've never seen it running. Pretty cool.

Offline vgeh

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 07:22:11 PM »
I went back and looked at the map and I guess you probably came across Pine Spring itself. I've never seen it running. Pretty cool.

Sorry for late reply, I totally forgot to check back here for comments. The pic is not clear but you can see the water pool by the dark and light shading. Trail markings for time reference. https://photos.app.goo.gl/pCJsboZ3qPtyPFR02
Since I planned to carry all the water, I did not look carefully at the springs. So I when I came across the water at the end of the trail, I was surprised and confused at the same time. Checked the maps and thought it should have been Pine Springs as I did not see any other in the maps. Unfortunately not much of an issue as it is not too far from the trailhead.

Offline Talusman

• Diamondback
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 12:59:21 PM »
vgeh,

Hat's off to you! That was a hell of a hike in GUMO. I've been on all the highest peaks except Bartlett, all in day hikes. Just the hike to Shumard and back is tough enough from Pine Springs campground, and the hike to El Capitan is as tough, But doing the four in a day trip plus Hunter is exceptional. Well Done! Now you have made me really want to do this, except spend the night at El Capitan and add that peak to your list. I'd have to enlist a partner (Screebird, Homer Wilson, or Lance, or Rocdoc, consider it), as I have a standing promise to my wife no more solos the rest of my life. But you raised the bar sir, damn fine hike. I am extremely impressed, especially with the wind you had. Point 8374 West of Shumard peak over looks Shirt tail canyon, if you ever go back try to go look over that point into Shirt tail, its an amazing view. But I think you described going back down to the East somewhat to avoid the wind. Can't blame you.

I have hiked up Pine Springs Canyon between Bartlett and Bush, and there are many really good pour offs to climb. Glad you go to see a few. The canyon that splits off of Pine Springs between Shumard and Guadalupe has a lot of good climbing and pour offs as well.

They are all well worth exploring.  Thanks again for the report, you're a bad ass.
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 06:24:30 PM »
Awesome hike.

The water in the trail is odd.  Pine Spring, or Lower Pine Spring was a significant water source back in the stagecoach days.  According to Trails of the Guadalupes, Lower Pine Spring stopped flowing after an earthquake in 1931.
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline vgeh

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 06:48:49 PM »
vgeh,

Hat's off to you! That was a hell of a hike in GUMO. I've been on all the highest peaks except Bartlett, all in day hikes. Just the hike to Shumard and back is tough enough from Pine Springs campground, and the hike to El Capitan is as tough, But doing the four in a day trip plus Hunter is exceptional. Well Done! Now you have made me really want to do this, except spend the night at El Capitan and add that peak to your list. I'd have to enlist a partner (Screebird, Homer Wilson, or Lance, or Rocdoc, consider it), as I have a standing promise to my wife no more solos the rest of my life. But you raised the bar sir, damn fine hike. I am extremely impressed, especially with the wind you had. Point 8374 West of Shumard peak over looks Shirt tail canyon, if you ever go back try to go look over that point into Shirt tail, its an amazing view. But I think you described going back down to the East somewhat to avoid the wind. Can't blame you.

I have hiked up Pine Springs Canyon between Bartlett and Bush, and there are many really good pour offs to climb. Glad you go to see a few. The canyon that splits off of Pine Springs between Shumard and Guadalupe has a lot of good climbing and pour offs as well.

They are all well worth exploring.  Thanks again for the report, you're a bad ass.
Thank you! I was tempted to attempt El Capitan as well. But an out and back to El Capitan on a already long loop hike did not make sense. I did check the route for El Capitan and It did not look bad. Take your wife on some wild adventures and she will be hooked. Then you don't have to go  solo, she will insist on joining, haha. Yes, I went west of pt 8374. Please share any pictures of the canyon if you have. Sounds very interesting.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!