Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Trial Post

• 12 Replies

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
Trial Post
« on: October 27, 2016, 10:32:28 PM »
As usual, I'm having an incredibly difficult time getting anything done in this computer world.  Try to insert a picture from flickr.
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
Re: Trial Post
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:34:49 PM »
And of course it didn't work!  I pasted the url between the [img] and the [\img] and a total bust.  How can this stuff be so opaque to reason?
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 10:41:06 PM »
As usual, I'm having an incredibly difficult time getting anything done in this computer world.  Try to insert a picture from flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61705580@N06/30609950505/in/album-72157675790796245/

And of course it didn't work!  I pasted the url between the [img] and the [\img] and a total bust.  How can this stuff be so opaque to reason?
Flickr is a lot more difficult to work with than it used to be. In order to use the [img][/img] tags, you have to have a url to an image (e.g. ends with filename.jpg) instead of a web page. There's a trick to post Flickr photos as embedded images, but it escapes my memory at the moment requires a few more steps. In the lower right of the page, click on "Download this photo" link (icon of an arrow pointing down to a horizontal line), then select "View all sizes". Right-click on "Download the Original size of this photo" and copy the link location (verbiage may vary by browser). That URL should work as an embedded img:

[img]https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5561/30609950505_6dcc067e1a_o_d.jpg[/img] yields

Clear as mud?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:48:11 PM by RichardM »

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 10:55:16 PM »
Another example of Hurley's Law: "No matter how much you know about computers, there will always be one more thing you needed to know in order to achieve success." 
So is there a photo hosting site that really works, better than flickr?

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 11:12:44 PM »
The only "arrow pointing down to a horizontal line" I've seen on the flickr page has been to download the "album".  There is no "Download this photo", "View all sizes", or "Download the Original size of this photo".

Offline Cookie

• Golden Eagle
  • Diamondback
  • "you never slow down, you never grow old" T.P.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 07:03:29 AM »
I click on the picture I want and it pulls it up individually with all the info at the bottom of the page. to the right of the picture there is an arrow pointing to the right that says share when you hover the mouse pointer over it. click on that, then pick BBCode (and it gives you a size option). Copy the link it provides and paste just that in your trip report. I've been really happy since switching to flickr for posting once I figured it out.
BiBe.springbreak 199 by Cookie, on Flickr

~Cookie

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 08:10:23 AM »
Let's try it:

Seems too complicated.  And it didn't work.  Try again.

Finally got it, but I had to do things differently than you suggested.  Couldn't just copy and paste the link because it had a lot of garbage in it.  Here's the link as it originally appeared:

2IMGP5993 by piscator.56, on Flickr

And this doesn't count all the trouble I've had with my flickr account, my yahoo account, my gmail address.  Half the time I don't know who I'm supposed to log in as, nor what password they expect.

Okay, so I see their link also included some extra links identifying the photo and the flickr site. 

I'm puzzled by the piscator.56 username.  I never created this.  Years ago when I first opened my flickr account, it was piscator56 without the dot.  I don't know how the dot got in there, and my original photos are not present.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 08:20:16 AM by backpacker56 »

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 09:50:21 AM »
As to which photo sharing site is "best", they all have their difficulties. Flickr seems to offer a lot of options and is fairly painless once you know the steps. I've used photobucket forever, but every year they seem to make it more difficult to use.

Here's the basics for Flickr. Click on the "Share photo" link. Copy and paste the entire bbcode and it should work. To make for faster loading of the embedded image on BigBendChat, chose the 640 width option.

Note that if you are trying to share someone else's photo, they have to have the privacy settings set to public (or something like that). If they don't, then you can click the "Download this photo" link and copy the link to the file. This is also useful if you don't want to share the photo album location and/or Flickr username.

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 09:54:17 AM »
Thanks all, for your kind and patient advice.

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 12:39:20 PM »
Let's try a video from flickr:
IMGP6723 by piscator.56, on Flickr

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 01:09:13 PM »
Suspense built as I watched to see what might happen as heat is applied to water...  :eusa_think:

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 01:33:22 PM »
The suspense was in whether I would succeed in posting a video, which I've never before attempted.  I do continue to be amazed that I somehow avoided knocking over the pan and stove, dropping the camera, scalding my hands, and burning down the tent!

How do you embed a flickr video, as opposed to just linking to it?

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 03:16:32 PM »
How do you embed a flickr video, as opposed to just linking to it?
Good question. YouTube videos show up as embedded because the board's software recognizes them as videos. It doesn't do that with Flickr, so the best you can do is post a link like you did. The download link is to a webpage which downloads the file, so that trick doesn't work like with image files. There may be a hack for it, but I am not aware of it.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!