Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Anybody ever been here?

• 9 Replies

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Anybody ever been here?
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:58:06 PM »
Something to check out.

Anybody ever been here? - N29.18913 W103.36269

I guess I need to go look
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

BigBendHiker

Re: Anybody ever been here?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:03:02 PM »
Appears to be a dam?

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:04:28 PM »
Yep, badknees, ye gotta go check 'er out. Think it might be yet another one of Homer's dams?  :eusa_think:

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 09:04:45 PM »
Appears to be a dam?

Indeed. Somewhat isolated.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »
Yep, badknees, ye gotta go check 'er out. Think it might be yet another one of Homer's dams?  :eusa_think:

Probably is. It is on my list.........
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 10:13:06 PM »
Something to check out.

Anybody ever been here? - N29.18913 W103.36269

I guess I need to go look

Yes, very interesting.  Does look like a dam.  Homer Wilson project?

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 08:30:10 AM »
Homer Wilson project?

That's what I was thinking. Many years ago I took a guided walk through the Blue Creek ranch and the ranger mentioned that Homer built check dams throughout the area.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 08:42:09 AM »
Homer Wilson project?

That's what I was thinking. Many years ago I took a guided walk through the Blue Creek ranch and the ranger mentioned that Homer built check dams throughout the area.

I am thinking Homer's land extended down south of Blue Creek Ranch at least that far. From Google Earth with my spring data, this catchment looks to be right in the middle of an area with no springs nearby. I noticed how nice and green things look upstream of this structure. Maybe it still holds back some water. If I was teleported to that spot, I think I might hike a big circle about the dam to see what else may be about, such as ruins of a line shack, corral, etc.

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »
Homer Wilson project?

I am thinking Homer's land extended down south of Blue Creek Ranch at least that far. From Google Earth with my spring data, this catchment looks to be right in the middle of an area with no springs nearby. I noticed how nice and green things look upstream of this structure. Maybe it still holds back some water. If I was teleported to that spot, I think I might hike a big circle about the dam to see what else may be about, such as ruins of a line shack, corral, etc.

There is spring west of there called "Sam Nail Ranch Spring". Google Earth gives no indication of any cottonwooods there, but I'll check both locations someday.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 12:15:05 PM »
Homer Wilson project?

There is spring west of there called "Sam Nail Ranch Spring". Google Earth gives no indication of any cottonwooods there, but I'll check both locations someday.
Yeah, I was ignoring that one because I suspect there is a typo in the originally published spring data. For one reason, Sam Nail's ranch was not this far south and the other reason is there were some other more obvious typos in the originally published UTM spring data where digits got transposed. I suspect that if two digits in the UTM Northing were fixed, this spring would show up right on top of Sam Nail Ranch. I actually deleted that point from my GPS.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!