Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Bear can or ursack needed?

• 5 Replies

Offline Bobbie Fiasco

• Kangaroo Rat
Bear can or ursack needed?
« on: December 08, 2019, 08:20:24 PM »
Not for bears, I imagine, if I'm out at Mule Ears or something but should I be concerned about still locking my food away from kangaroo rats or other critters? Thank you.

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
Re: Bear can or ursack needed?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 09:13:03 PM »
Not this time of year. I've been doing winter backpacking trips for many years and never had any critter issues.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 04:12:34 PM »
Check the current Big Bend Natl Parks backcountry food storage regulations...

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 04:28:12 PM »
Check the current Big Bend Natl Parks backcountry food storage regulations...

No bear cans required as long as you keep your food with in arms reach in the desert.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 05:09:55 PM »
I don't want to minimize the likelihood/danger of bears messing with your food.  It can happen, especially up in the Chisos at the right time of year.  But, then, that's why every campsite in the Chisos has a sturdy metal bear box.  The likelihood of a food-related encounter with a bear outside the Chisos is extremely small.  The only animals of any kind that I've ever been bothered by in camps outside the Chisos are deer (many, and mostly interested in the urine salts in my latrine), one skunk, and a variety of small rodents. Nothing to be done about the deer, but the secret to discouraging the others is odor suppression. Bear canisters might work, but man they're heavy. Ursacks won't stop the odor, but they will protect the food from animals. The (currently legal) solution I always rely upon is a nylobarrier bag to contain all my food and other "smellies".  They are amazingly odor-proof and very easy to employ. I use these, but they're not made anymore. You might try these
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Bobbie Fiasco

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 09:39:01 PM »
Well thanks!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!